300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automation

What software would you like to see to make your job easier? I'm a recently medically retired officer who has made friends with a venture capitalist. He's looking to invest in our industry to develop software to make our job easier. List anything at all. No idea is too small or too big.
    Last edited by OSP958; 12-18-2016, 11:26 PM.

There are so many different programs available to agencies that anything that we could think of is probably already available. There are nuances of the program we use that are flawed in my opinion, but the originators of the software must have intentionally designed it the way they did.

Suggestions to whatever your friend designs should consider what an officer may feel as inconvenient. For one of the programs I use, I have to wait for it to load which includes an announcement window to come up. I have to click "ok" before I can utilize the program. I never read the announcement and have suggested to them to not make it a mandatory field that shows up, but instead create it to be an option I could click if I chose. The same program also times out and closes after too short a time of not being used. It should be open until I close it at the end of the shift.

So, I don't know what your friend had in mind to invest in, but he should ask you what are the little things that would make software that already exists more appealing to officer.

If he could create the Minority Report pre-crimes thing, that would be pretty cool.

Comment

One that works.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by OSP958 View Post
        What software would you like to see to make your job easier? I'm a recently medically retired officer who has made friends with a venture capitalist. He's looking to invest in our industry to develop software to make our job easier. List anything at all. No idea is too small or too big.
        i would like a program that prevents the Police Administration from hiding money.

I don't know if this already exists but the ability to write a search warrant, get it signed by the judge AND printed from our patrol cars would greatly speed up some one the stupidity in this job.

now, some of this problem is equipment (like printers in the cars) and some is human (like city councils not having/giving the money for this or city bureaucracy stonewalling the purchase because the idea didn't come from in house or the product vendor can't source their supplies back to environmentally safe-non slave labor-fair trade-non Earth sourced materials, and SOME of it is because we have fu*king dinosaurs in charge who pride themselves on the fact that they had 5 colors of "white out" because they had to hand write their reports because in 1980s Silicon Valley there were no go*dam*ed computers).

but the concept of needing a search warrant and going to the car and typing it up, then emailing the judge who responses back (and getting it e-filed with the court) and you being able to print it right then and there needs to happen.

semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by RGDS View Post

I don't know if this already exists but the ability to write a search warrant, get it signed by the judge AND printed from our patrol cars would greatly speed up some one the stupidity in this job.

We just started doing this program here. Several Wisconsin counties have been doing it for some time now and it's working fantastic. All the of the programs necessary are free (or essentially free) so I think it would be hard pressed for a new pay-to-play program to supersede the free apps that already exist.

As to the OP, there really isn't any programs I can think of that don't already exist in one format or another. You really want to make money in the LE market, develop a propriety video compression system that allows a massive reduction in storage size and still allows systematic retrieval. Video (bodycam, squad, interview) data storage is the major dilemma being faced by law enforcement in the next decade. Find a way to compress a terabyte to a gigabyte and you've got a product.
          Originally posted by kontemplerande
          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Not a program, so much as a tech I would like to see invented (if it doesn't already exist):

I think it would be awesome to have a technology that could take high resolution photos that pick up latent prints. I'm picturing maybe a special kind of dust that allows the camera (maybe a smart phone app) to focus on the print. I suppose the real obstacle would be getting something that could be scientifically validated to be accepted in all criminal courts. This might be a real hurdle, considering many jurisdictions won't even take judicial notice of Laser speed measurements.

Basically, lifting prints with tape is a pain in the ***, and anything to make it easier would be helpful.

Comment

A single database/application with multiple functions that is accessible in the field.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10448 users online. 491 members and 9957 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X