300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOP & Legal Defense Plan

I assume many here are FOP members. Pros? Cons? How useful/ good is their Legal Defense Plan?

Alternatives?

Anybody have a separate insurance umbrella to cover their on duty/ off duty actions?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

I joined the FOP as a Federal cop, but I may or may not use the legal plan... I'll wait to see what folks here say
    USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
    "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
    Department of the Army Police Officer (0083-06)

Comment

I have never joined, as I feel the dues did not legitimize the legal help it come with, at least here in Tennessee. Just my humble opinion. My "law enforcement liability insurance" policy is cheaper, and covers more.

I've had GREAT assistance in the past from a departmentally involved attorney. It also does not hurt that I come from a family with a lot of attorneys.....
      SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
      SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2015, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $400 to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

My "law enforcement liability insurance" policy is cheaper, and covers more.
        Where did you get that? My insurance agent says she can get my wife and I umbrella policies to cover us away from work and during volunteer activities... but not while on the clock.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

Where did you get that? My insurance agent says she can get my wife and I umbrella policies to cover us away from work and during volunteer activities... but not while on the clock.
          I'd be interested to hear this as well. I joined FOP, but have not yet gotten the legal defense plan, wanted to hear whether it was worth it.

Comment

Not referring to any specific FOP or related plan, but I would urge each and every one of you and any other officer to have some type of legal defense policy plan.

God willing you will never need it, but if you ever do, I promise that it will pay for itself ten times over.

Comment

That Legal Defense Fund (LDF) of PORAC (Peace Officer's Reseach Association of California) is pretty much the only reason people stay in the union. They hate the politics but can't afford to buy legal aid on their own.
              semper destravit

Comment

Having been on the sh*t of too many BS I/As, I can assure you LDF coverage is a must and is money well spent. While I am not familiar with the FOP plan, I have read the coverage offered by a number of national groups and after having done so, I strongly urge you to carefully read and understand the terms, conditions and limitations. I mean really take the time to comprehend what the plan says.

Many of the plans out there are crap. They charge $400 to $500 per year and only offer a few hours consultation by an attorney and a discounted hourly rate for his services after that. A good plan offers you total representation at no further cost all the way from the I/A interview to all administrative hearings and a Superior Court appeal. It also includes representation in civil suite if there is a conflict of interest between you and your employer (they throw you under the bus and say you were at fault).

Don't get hoodwinked. Read what the plan does and doesn't provide before you hand over your money.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

This Coverage is Specifically Designed to Help Protect:

Comment

I think I would be covered by the Feds if I get sued... but I do have a union (which I did not join)
                    USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                    "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                    Department of the Army Police Officer (0083-06)

Comment

Originally posted by J2H View Post
                      I think I would be covered by the Feds if I get sued... but I do have a union (which I did not join)
                      Depending on who you work for, laws often exist that require an government employers to defend employees against suits that arise out of something that occurred during the scope and course of their duty. However, that doesn't always work out for the best.

1. A problem arises when an employer decides your actions were outside the scope of your duties or authority. When this occurs, they may deny you representation and leave you to mortgage your home to pay for your own legal defense.

2. Another issue may arise when the employer admits you were acting within the course and scope of your duties, but alleges your conduct was outside of policy. By publicly throwing you under the bus in this manner, they shift the potential for a punitive damage award away from them and over to you. This creates a conflict of interest as any defense counsel the employer supplies cannot faithfully represent their interests and the employee's at the same time. Again, you need your own attorney to defend you not only against the people who are suing you, but against whatever your employer may say against you in civil court as they try to save their own as*es.

3. Lastly, you may be one of a team of people, all of whom were closely involved in the same incident in which one or more screwed up badly, resulting in a lawsuit. Let's assume you did everything correctly and did not aid, advise or encourage in any of the conduct that resulted in the lawsuit, nonetheless, you are a named defendant and you are at risk financially. Your employing agency assigns one attorney represent you all. The same attorney who is representing those who are culpable cannot faithfully represent you as it's his duty to negate or share the blame with everyone else. This poses a conflict of interest when it comes to representing you, and you need your own legal counsel.
                      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

bad link- but it is a traveler's policy.
                        SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                        SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2015, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $400 to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

Originally posted by RGDS View Post
                          That Legal Defense Fund (LDF) of PORAC (Peace Officer's Reseach Association of California) is pretty much the only reason people stay in the union.
                          That's actually an option here. The Colorado Police Protective Association is an affiliate of PORAC apparently...

Comment

Originally posted by J2H View Post
                            You may or may not be covered. Politics and the media play a big part on who gets help and who gets left out in the cold while working for the federal government if you are involved in a OIS.
                            Last edited by SHU; 12-15-2016, 07:39 PM.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6115 users online. 292 members and 5823 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X