Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requesting a new patrol car

Brothers/Sisters,
    One of our officers, whose last day is 11/22, has been driving a 2013 Tahoe. Before someone else grabs it up, I was thinking of requesting it as our Community Policing/SRO utility, since we usually haul things for community events and our summer camp. Since the officer hasn't left yet, I didn't want to seem like I was jumping the gun. Any ideas on how to be diplomatic about it?

Currently, the four of us (SROs) drive Impalas and a Crown Vic, so space is limited for our boxes of swag and other stuff.

Thanks!
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
    that we are all that stands between
    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Talk to the person who issues out the vehicles. Recommend "exchanging" it with one of the SRO and give them the reasons that you provided.
    Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

I wouldn't beat around the bush, just go and ask!

Comment

Originally posted by HI629 View Post
        Talk to the person who issues out the vehicles. Recommend "exchanging" it with one of the SRO and give them the reasons that you provided.
        THIS. Show the need and you'll get it. It's not his, it's the agency's.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Depending on how your agency is run, vehicle wise, I'd say make sure the road guys don't need it first. Guys on patrol having the vehicles they need takes precedent over room for D.A.R.E. bags for school students, in my opinion.

Comment

I feel lucky. My agency usually issues me new vehicles, and in some cases even gives me a few to choose from. If I need something short term, we have a selection of asset forfeiture vehicles at our disposal.

+1 on making sure the road guys don't need the vehicle. If you don't get it, is it possible to apply for state of federal grant money to purchase one? My buddy in a local PD got federal money for a brand new Suburban for the D.A.R.E. program. Vehicle was fully decked out with lights, sirens and even a cool D.A.R.E. program paint job!
            Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

One of the road guys ended up getting it. He had the same slicktop Vic since I started 10 years ago, so he was due for one.
              The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

sigpic

Comment

If you have a fleet services section, make sure to buy them some pizzas and maybe some Christmas cookies!
                NYCD exam 6315
                Passed, Jan 2016

Comment

I had an interesting experience recently. I got to order my next squad from the ground up. I've gotten new cars in the past but I've never had the fleet LT call me in and show me the bid sheets saying "Pick out what you want and what features." This will be my last ride (God willing) so they're giving me some leeway on what I get.
                  Originally posted by kontemplerande
                  Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

All my cars have been hand-me-downs since 2007.

07 Crown Vic
                    09 Impala
                    04 Trailblazer
                    12 Traverse (detective)
                    08 Altima (detective)
                    06 Crown Vic (slicktop)

I Am the Sheepdog.

sigpic

Comment

89 Crown Vic
                      94 Caprice (My favorite car, by far)
                      97 Crown Vic (worst car, by far)
                      00 Crown Vic
                      04 Crown Vic (First new car)
                      08 Charger (First slick top)
                      06 Durango (first unmarked)
                      09 Charger (detective)
                      13 Charger (marked, sergeant ride)
                      12 Impala SS (detective- was the sheriff's ride. He got a new car so I got his hand me down. This car had all the features.)
                      13 Charger (detective- was the chief deputy's ride, another full featured car)

Originally posted by kontemplerande
                      Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Another officer resigned last night (second one in 3 weeks) and now there is a 2016 Ford Utility Interceptor up for grabs...is it kosher to ask the Chief about the status of a car???
                        Last edited by SmallCityCop; 12-16-2016, 11:26 AM.

I Am the Sheepdog.

sigpic

Comment

I would follow the chain of command.
                          Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
                          In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
                          Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
                          Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

Comment

I know, just thought I'd ask.

I Am the Sheepdog.

sigpic

Comment

I started out with an 87 Caprice, then briefly a 93 Crown VIc, then to a 95 Crown VIc. and on up from there, currently in a 16 Explorer. I keep the key to the 87 Caprice on my key chain as a reminder that there is always a worst vehicle. After about two months, the new car smell is not detectable as much and it just becomes another car. Sometimes if you act like you don't care what you drive, you end up with the good ones.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4790 users online. 272 members and 4518 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X