300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Narcotics Unit officers?

Afternoon, y'all. I've been working a couple years for a smaller department that does not have a narcotics/vice/special unit of any kind. We have a patrol division, and an investigations division, which is too swamped with cases to be able to do drug investigations. In the small amount of time I have during my shift when I'm not answering calls or doing other routine duties (business checks, residence checks, etc.), I've been watching the closest thing we have to an open air market with binoculars, riding around the known drug areas, and trying to focus traffic stops on vehicles in those areas. I'm looking to move to a larger agency soon so I can actually focus on doing that and I was wondering what some strategies current narcotics guys are using? I've been to a couple of different classes for narcotics investigations and have been working on developing a couple of informants, but I want to have as many tools on my belt as possible. Thanks.

I'm not going to get into too much specific information on an open forum but what you're doing is the right path right now. A good patrol officer uses the resources available to them to interdict drugs as best they can. You simply don't have the time and freedom necessary to run drug ops while working patrol. You certainly won't have the ability to effectively run CI's while you're beholden to the radio. Keep making good cases using interdiction tactics and you'll be fine.
    Originally posted by kontemplerande
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

I don't plan on staying on Patrol. The next jump I'm trying to make is to an agency that is primarily investigative, and has narcotics as a top priority.

Comment

OP don't forget when moving you start all over. having to put in your time before being able to move over to the narco unit. why not try and establish yourself as the narco guy, or try setting up a joint team with surrounding departments. seek out grant funding for that and propose that to the brass.
        I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions.

Comment

I wouldn't have the necessary support from my own chain of command, despite having the support of the Deputy Chief over investigations. We even have a "narco guy" in the investigations division and they aren't letting him work drug investigations. Having to start over is why I said from the get go that unless the situation was dire, I would only apply to a state or federal agency. In this case, I wouldn't necessarily have to put in my time before working narcotics since it's one of their top priorities.

Comment

You would still have to prove yourself and put your time in before focusing solely on Narcotics. Best of luck.
            The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
            that we are all that stands between
            the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JKrugger View Post
              We even have a "narco guy" in the investigations division and they aren't letting him work drug investigations.
              How does that work?
              I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post

How does that work?
                He's technically just a detective in the Investigations division, but he's the senior detective and has the most experience with narcotics investigations.

Comment

Going to a new & bigger department won't guarantee you a spot in narco. Doesn't matter how big their team or division is, you'll still be a rookie and you'll still have to work your way up to get to where YOU want to be...and when you finally get to that unit, guess who the new guy is again?
                  Not busting your balls, but I worked my way up in that route so just tryng to set your expectations...
                  I'm happy where I'm at now (Vice), but I had to eat a few **** sandwiches along the way

Comment

In an effort to keep at least a little bit of OpSec, I tried not to specify too much about the agency I'm trying to move to, but in order to clarify some, I'll sacrifice a little bit of it. It's not a police department, sheriff's office, company police, etc. It's a branch of a state-level agency who's primary focus is now Narcotics. A friend from a smaller agency that borders mine has worked for this branch for a year or so now and from our conversations about it, as well as conversations I've had with a mentor who used to work for them, the goals of this branch align almost perfectly with my own. I was just asking for tips and strategies from officers who worked the Narcotics side so that I could add more to my tool belt.

Comment

I think you have gained a good portion of the knowledge needed for the position going to classes and actually doing the grunt work. Once you are hired and have access to other co-workers reports through the department data base, read their reports. The events leading to their PC will give you ideas too.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7484 users online. 414 members and 7070 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X