Week 5.
    Mon 1400 - 2200
    Tue 0900 - 1700
    Wed Rest Day
    Thu 0700 - 1500
    Fri 0700 - 1500
    Sat 0700 - 1600
    Sun 0700 - 1500

Then just repeats itself, you work 200 hours in 5 weeks and you get 12 rest days including 2 weekends off in 5.

Lobster.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    down here we're on permanent shifts 8 hours 5 on 2 off. right now im on days 7 to 3 with tue and wed off. before that i was on the afternoon 3 to 11 with the same days off. ive been here 8 years and i cant get weekends. it sucks. i wish we could go to 12 hour permanent shifts with 4 on and 4 off to i can get a weekend off once in a while. i was thinking of goin to DB but then they started working shifts so i would have to start at the bottom again. i dont know how much more of this i can take. i might have to find a regular job real soon.

Leave a comment:

• JRT6
    replied
    After ten years of rotating shifts and rotating days off: 6-2, rotate backwards every month; sometimes every two weeks, I'm getting ready to pull the pin. My body can't take anymore and the mood swings during shift change is taking a toll on my family. I owuld prefer early car third (2200-0600) with Friday and Saturday off.

My place won't change because one quarter of the guys like rotating. Ironic as all of them volunteered and keep volunteering to be on the only fixed shift.
    Last edited by JRT6; 07-20-2003, 09:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• packpolice
    replied
    ideas?

52 sworn officer campus PD that will hopefully climb to 60 members this year. We are on permanent days and noghts, 12 hours. I think we should be as sharp as the trouble makers and the community we serve. Any ideas on changing the scedule to make it more cost effective as well?

JLE

Leave a comment:

• BlackBear
    replied
    I have done shift work for the last 8yrs, and wouldn't change it for anything. I currently work 9 or 10 hour shifts. I really can't imagine working any other system unless I was allowed to work the 0600-1500hrs shift full time.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Our department mandates that if you receive a subpeona, then you must go to court unless excused by the DAs office.

This motion was an appeal in reference to a DUI case that I had. In the State of Georgia, as soon as you arrest a person for DUI you must read them their Implies Consent notice. I advised that I arrested the driver first for the warrant and then waited till his three passengers left the scene before doing the implied consent reading. I advised the defense atty that my safety comes first before any adminstrated details. Anyway, the driver was charged for DUI-Alcohol and DUI-Less Safe for the red light violation. That way if the defense gets the implied consent removed as evidence, I still have a DUI case.

To answer your question, if we receive a supeona the day before court and we have not advised the DAs officer of pending leave, then we are to go to court. After the birth of my son, I had to go to grand jury. Needless to say, I supplied them with a leave slip. Their response was that they had not received it. Then to add salt to thw wound, they asked why was I in such a big hurry that it was my duty and job to be there. I advised the female DA if she had just given birth for 12 hours and had to have a surgical proceedure performed, how would she like to be in grand jury. Sigh, as you can see there is a little tension between the court and the departments here.

Hope that helps.

Leave a comment:

• Sgt Lobster
    replied
    Bob,

Are you expected to attend court for a defendants first appearance ?
    Normally we only ever attend court for not guilty trials.

Lobster.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Sgt. Lobster, I can't speak for others, I do know that I have had the DA's officer call my home the day before court duty and ask if I could show on a late motion appeal. This occured this month of Mid-Nights and the court was at 1330 hours. Once I figured what DA it was I decided to go. For the DAs that work with me and help me out, the favor is returned. If I spend too much time and get too little sleep, there is what we call sick time, I hate to use it, but if I am wiped, I am no good on the street.

The only good thing about going to court is the $25.00 per visit and the Comp Time.

Leave a comment:

• Sgt Lobster
    replied
    BlueBlood,

How much notice do you get of a court appearance ? Normally in England & Wales you would expect several weeks or even months notice of a court case. The court is provided with officers court availability and sometimes they even take notice ! Officer do get short notice requirements to attend court especially jury trials.

There is no way a UK officer should be allowed to work the hours you describe to attend court, as we are protected by Police Regulations and Working Time Regs. What would happen if you had an accident or a critical incident ?

Lobster.

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied
    My 12 hour shifts has its ups and downs with me, i like the days off, thats it. I like the few days off, but i hate getting schedualed to come in to court on my off days or when im on night shift... The rest of the world dosent operate with grave yard shift workers.... I would probabily rather work a shorter shift though dureing the day... Eitherway, your going to work the same hours a month as an 8am-5pm 5 day a week employee. But shift work dosent feel healthy at all. I can hardly go workout like i like to do, i get deprived of sleep alot especially if a jury trail will pop on at a very bad time for me, ive had to work from 7pm-7am and then be at court at 8am-4pm quiet a few times. i hate it with a passion. One time after having to do that my s hift was short and i after getting out of court at 4 i had to come to work and be a zombie for 12 hours... (i actually slept and got a buddy to listen to the radio for me for about 2 hours) Re-adjusting from days to nights always takes its toll to...
    Last edited by BlueBlood; 07-16-2003, 10:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• germancop39
    replied
    Here in germany i do shift work since 15 years now. On one hand its true, you will never get as much free time for yourself again in your working life. But on the other hand it is very bad for your body. In only five years shift work you will get 10 years older.
    I think I'll carry on doing shift work for about 2 or 3 years.

Leave a comment:

• PeteBroccolo
    replied
    Hate it, but what's a guy going to do?

At least now, with a 6-4, 5-4, 5-4 rotation and 10 hour shifts, the time off is great.

If you people in big departments, with round-the-clock coverage, think shift work is bad, those of us that work for Agencies that do not have such coverage and "volunteer" to be on-call would feel for you, but our arms aren't long enough !

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hate it.
    We quit shift work almost a decade ago.
    We bid annually for our shift for the following year, which is a much better system for me.

Leave a comment:

• packpolice
    replied
    I work 12 hour shifts. We work 2 on, 2 off, 3 on, 3 off. We never work more then 3 days in a row. It long and hot, but I feel like I've really accomplished something when I leave. Before this I really didn't know how to relax. I think it helps that we don't rotate because you can keep your body somewhat regulated. Rotating is VERY unhealthy.

If I had a choice I think 10 hours would be better.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6318 users online. 382 members and 5936 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X