300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting old ...

A little while back I had to deal with a missing person. In the course of this, I asked a teenaged friend for a telephone number of a friend who she might be staying with. She dutifully checked her cell/mobile phone and showed me the number which was listed as "Kelly (or whoever) Yard". I then said, "So she's called Kelly Yard is she?". Both the young lady and the young whipper-snapper officer I was with then collapsed into a fit of giggles and I learned that "Yard" means "home" apparently.

I then realised that I have become like "Jim's Dad" in "American Pie" - an old bloke who causes endless merriment when he tries to speak to the younger generation.

[ 06-30-2003, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Cockney Corner ]
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Oh dear me, Cockney. You gotta be down with tha streets dogg!
    'Trust no-one'

Comment

hahahahah

Cockney - tell your young officer that its an offence to use terms like 'Yard' if you are over the age of 14

Comment

I think you should laugh at teenagers. I'm always doing that because they sound stupid. I'm in my mid-twenties and coach track in the Spring.
        Man hath no greater love than this, then to lay down his life for his friend.
        "The strength of the wolf is in the pack and the strength of the pack is in the wolf."- Kipling

Comment

I only started realising how old I am (I AM ONLY 30) when I ask the kid I have just arrested his/her date of birth. When they tell you and you think "hell, I remember what I was doing that day!!", that you realise how old you have become (or how young the people I arrest are these days!)

As for street slang, Im I right in thinking that "THATS BAD MAN" is actually "THATS QUITE GOOD REALLY MATE" ???????

Oh well, I will still continue to go to nightclubs and put up with people looking at me like their dad just walked in.

Uk

Comment

ukcop2

I'm 31. But I'm hip. I'm with it. I can do the Macarena. Surely that must impress them ...
            I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Comment

My Sgt. had the same thing. Young pup (21) calls out the description of a suspect running from him and says he's wearing a "wifebeater" shirt. Sarge thought it was a brand name or that it had "WIFEBEATER" written across it.

Comment

http://www.bhs.berkeley.k12.ca.us/departments/english/slang_dictionary.htm

Comment

Thanks for the link with the slang directory, it was fat.
                  I can be like my daug in the five-o with me, Fresh.
                  I'll break with the old now this directory is with me, no jargon.

Peace out blood.

(HAY THIS IS GOOD, JUST WAIT TILL I GET TO THE NIGHTCLUB ON FRIDAY)

Uk

Comment

Round my way "Wifebeater" means premium strength lager, specifically Stella Artois, if that means anything to those on the other side of the Pond.

Comment

Ha, I was feeling old (31 btw) until I got to my new unit. I'm the youngest by 12 years and they all laughed when I told them I had 8 years service. I have to make a lot of tea and coffee (although I make sure it tastes really bad )
                      When all is said and done though, they are a great bunch and don't rag me too much.
                      My wife picks up the 2 kids of some friends of ours from school, they are 8 and 10. The 8 year old has just been doing D Day at school. When I got in last Thursday, he asked me if I was there [Eek!] [Eek!]
                      The artist formerly known as Soho Bandit

Comment

Sounds to me like you're all a bunch of puppies! But then, I have white hair and wear bifocals-- next to me, everybody's a puppy!
                        We do not all come to religion over the wandering years,
                        but sooner or later we all get to meet God. -- Edward Conlon

Comment

quote:
                          The 8 year old has just been doing D Day at school.
                          OK, so you cant own firearms, but your kids can shoot people on a beach in Northern France on certain days?

Comment

I am in the process of retiring medically and while sitting in my dr's office i overheard a conversation between two males.

I know they were talking english but as to exactly what they said, who knows.

I am 49 and used up i guess
                            ohdet

Comment

I had two bad experiences...
                              The first, I was at a crime scene and the criminologist showed up with a female college intern. I noticed her, but didn't talk to her or anything. The next day the criminologist was laughing and told me that the girl asked if I was married. ( I was about 44 then). The officer told her that she didn't know, but it didn't matter, I was too old for her. The intern replied, " Not for me, for my MOM!"

The second time I was investigating a police involved shooting and noticed the officer was born AFTER I had become a cop!

Yikes!

Jim
                              "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3320 users online. 173 members and 3147 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X