Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I'm the odd ball here. I keep them up unless the AC is kicking so hard the windows are fogging over then open the driver's to vent.

I keep them up for a couple of big reasons. The first is if I have to bail, It's hard enough getting unbelted, car in park (yes, Lawdog...PARK...we don't want to repeat THAT whole scene! [Eek!] ), and radioing in with what's happening. Add to that rolling up the windows. The passenger windows are notorious for being slow, so I don't even bother.

The other reason is because of the dirt roads we have around my zone. I used to do a good detail on my car twice a month, a parade grade detail once a month and run it through the car wash every shift. Now I spend a good 80% of my shift dealing with dysfunctional families on the dirt roads so it's no use to go through all of that. My exterior is bad enough, I don't want dust and mud on the interior, too.

It's also been raining a bunch here lately.

I'll have to give the window down approach a try now. Used to do it with my old agency, but of course we didn't have AC in the cars, so it was a must. I've also gone back to the flat top, so I won't have to worry about messing up my hair, either .

Comment

DOWN, always down. Usually because the car smells from the last smelly prisoner in the back.

Or, come to think of it, the last smelly police officer in the front. [Eek!]

Ukcop

Comment

I was ingrained in the academy to keep all the windows fully down no matter what the weather. As I graduated from the academy in the middle of winter (and an El Ni

Comment

There's a difference between patrolling and driving. If I'm cruising through a darkened shopping mall or business park at night looking for anything out of the ordinary, the windows are down. If I'm DRIVING to a destination, the windows are usually up. Its hot as hell here and the humidity is tropical. Combined with a vest, I got to have A/C or I'd quit.

My "go-getter" record speaks for itself.
          No cops, know anarchy.

"He aint finna come all up in my house and act a fool and be gettin away with it cause I will go smooth off." -Movista

Comment

quote:
            Originally posted by FLLawdog:
            The other reason is because of the dirt roads we have around my zone. I used to do a good detail on my car twice a month, a parade grade detail once a month and run it through the car wash every shift. Now I spend a good 80% of my shift dealing with dysfunctional families on the dirt roads so it's no use to go through all of that. My exterior is bad enough, I don't want dust and mud on the interior, too.

Same here. We spend most of our time in the unincorporated areas of the county, which have a lot of dirt, gravel, or chip roads. If you are leisurely moseying around looking for stuff, down is great. But anything over about 30-35mph on a red dirt road and you, along with everything inside of the vehicle, are covered with the billowing dust.

Comment

Down with my head out the window like Ace Ventura...so I can REALLY see whats going on.

Comment

Generally mine are up, but that's due to the fact that I patrol a generally unincorporated area of county land. Lots of farms and dirt roads. Whenever I get in an area where I'm driving slow or looking for something they go down.

When I worked as a city officer, they were almost always down until I was heading to a call at which point they went up.......what my first FTO referred to as submarining, as in "Hey Jackass...lights and siren on, moving fast, too loud....submarine this car NOW!!"
                sigpic

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.-Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

It matters where I'm patroling. When I'm driving through a neighborhood where there are a lot of kids playing and adults hanging outside I will leave the windows down. Other than that my windows stay up. I like this for a couple of reason, 1. with the windows down it is harder for me to hear the radio, 2. I don't want to worry about putting the windows up while I'm responding to a call, 3. if I have to leave quickly or just engaged in a pursuit i want to make sure that my voice is the only thing my back up hears on the radio.
                  I do however lower the window just enough when I get in the neighborhood of a dispatched call, so I could hear what is going on but leave them high enough to maintain some kind of security in case I have to bail.
                  RLTW

Comment

Almost always cracked on driver and passenger side about 1 inch, hot or cold weather. That way I can hear the street and if I have to run after someone, maybe I can hit the door lock while I am slamming the door so my car doesn't get stolen.

Only time they are up is when it is parked or raining.
                    Do your best, do what is right

Comment

Windows down, I like to be able to hear what's going on around me
                      "I received a telephone call from an individual identifying himself as Al Qaeda. Mr. Qaeda stated that a bomb was going to explode this afternoon, but would not say where it was..." - taken from an actual statement.

Comment

Always down, if it is pouring rain i leave the back ones down (who cares if the thugs have to sit on a wet seat.

When I switched departments last year i had to FTO with a guy down here for about three weeks. It was late fall so it was a bit chilly at night. He would always cuss and moan when i rolled my window down. I tried to explain to him that just having the window down makes a huge difference in what you are able to hear and smell. Heck the night before last i got 6 8-balls of powder and $2000 cash because some idiot was smoking a j while driving around. Hard to do that with windows up and ac cranked. Don't get me wrong the heat and ac are still on, but i gotta have the window down too (not my gas
                        )

-web
                        "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

definitely down at night. in the day, it depends on how humid it is.
                          "The American public will find it refreshing to see a Republican candidate, who's not a moralistic, sexually repressed, crusading hypocrite, who cruises airport men's rooms late at night."
                          William Shatner

Comment

I like the fresh air generally and ride with the windows down..however, with all that gear on in 100 + degree humid weather, its a foolish young pup who wont take advantage of the AC the employer gives you for free. You can always drive with windows down and cool the outside for a few minutes if you really NEED to hear something.

Comment

I ride with mine up; but that's because the average temperature here is -45*F in the winter. I have them down in the summer (+40*F).

Comment

Up, it's gonna be 110 today.
                                Also in the shade and never shut off during the shift.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4248 users online. 257 members and 3991 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X