300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One eyed officers

I recently lost an eye in the line of duty and although I may be reading too much into it, I am getting a feeling it may be a fight with my human resources dept to go back to the road. Right now I'm looking for anyone who can give me information about any officers working the road with one eye and which dept they are working for. Better yet, it would be great if those officers could contact me. Thanks.

The same thing happened to an Indianapolis police officer a little over a year ago. He lost his eye in the line of duty and is now back to work. See the story here:

http://www.supportingheroes.org/modu...rticle&sid=100

Best of luck to you!

Comment

I know of a Jefferson Co. Deputy

When I was in the academy, we had a firearms teacher who was also a road deputy. This guy was even a swat sniper and one of the baddest mother f'ers I have ever met I would take him as backup over a bunch of guys at my agency.
      War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
      John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873)

Comment

I give you lots of respect for even trying to go back after such a serious injury. Good luck.
        What Delta said x2

Comment

Robsadmn,

Hats off to you for your courage and determination. Great article posted by Jas77. You may want to contact that officer for info.

I would think that depth perception would be a problem, but apparently it isn't. Get all your ducks in a row and go for it! Let us know how it turns out!
          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2
            Robsadmn,

Hats off to you for your courage and determination. Great article posted by Jas77. You may want to contact that officer for info.

I would think that depth perception would be a problem, but apparently it isn't. Get all your ducks in a row and go for it! Let us know how it turns out!
            agreed! go for it! i would certainly contact that officer as well. stay safe.
            The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day.

Comment

One-eyed Officer

The Vt State Police had a member who lost an eye in a cruiser accident. They attempted to force his retirement. He fought it and won. I would think that today, given ADA etc., you would have a great shot at staying on. Good luck. Nihil nisi carborundum!
              We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready to do violence in our behalf. Orwell

Comment

Indianapolis Metro PD has an officer with one eye. He was shot in the face during a traffic stop. He made a complete recovery, passed all the PD requirements, and went back to work.

Comment

Not exactly the same, but somewhere in Ohio there is a cop who lost his leg while on duty and is now back on the job.

Comment

robsadmn, PM me with your contact info and I will try to have Mike Antonelli contact you. He should still have the names and departments of other officers that lost an eye and were able to return to work on the road, and I'll ask him to let you know exactly what he had to do to come back.

I think your biggest hurdle will be proving that you can still do the same job with one eye that you did with two. I know Mike went to the range and the EVOC track and passed everything with flying colors, and he even did better than a lot of two-eyed officers.

Good luck, give 'em hell.

Comment

Originally posted by IMPDNE
                      robsadmn, PM me with your contact info and I will try to have Mike Antonelli contact you. He should still have the names and departments of other officers that lost an eye and were able to return to work on the road, and I'll ask him to let you know exactly what he had to do to come back.

I think your biggest hurdle will be proving that you can still do the same job with one eye that you did with two. I know Mike went to the range and the EVOC track and passed everything with flying colors, and he even did better than a lot of two-eyed officers.

Good luck, give 'em hell.
                      Tell Antonelli IU54 said hey. I was one his FTO's at his previous PD.

Comment

Originally posted by Ten Six
                        Tell Antonelli IU54 said hey. I was one his FTO's at his previous PD.
                        I tried to send you a PM last week asking if you were at IU but I never got a reply. I was 533 while I was there, and was 1363 at BPD.

Comment

Originally posted by IMPDNE
                          I tried to send you a PM last week asking if you were at IU but I never got a reply. I was 533 while I was there, and was 1363 at BPD.
                          Small World!!! This is D.W. I will PM you.

Comment

one-eyed officer

To anyone who had a post or read this thread:

My husband is a federal agent who lost his eye, among other serious injuries, in the suicide bomb blast in Iraq in 2004. He has made a miraculous recovery and has returned to work 2005 and worked until he went back on workers comp for back surgery. He had the final surgery two weeks ago. All along we were under the impression from his agency that when he was released to return to work again, he would go through testing to see if he could perform the job. We were notified today that they are going to terminate him in approx 30 days- out of the blue!- using an Air Force regulation that allows them to do this without any recourse. I am trying to gather as much information as possible of cases or studies that will help in fighting this.

I saw the post about the gentleman in Indianapolis. Good article. My husband still shoots at expert level, drives a car with no restrictions and no extra mirrors, nothing. We found out after the injury that his eyes had always seen separately and he had never had true binocular vision- meaning he had no adjustment period for losing his eye except for the peripheral issue. He could reach for things and grasp them with no problem from the beginning. His case is highly unusual and we are fighting because out of all of the cases of officer returning to full duty after losing an eye, his is one of the most compelling.

The agency's position is basically if you take too long to recover or if they feel in any way that you are a safety liability after being injured in the line of duty, they will let you go. They have already released 4 of the 5 seriously injured agents who were hurt in Iraq. 3 of the 4 could still perform the job. My husband is number 5.

I am looking for every avenue possible to fight this. It is a shame that our DOD agencies are treating our heroes like this- tossing them to the side after giving such a sacrifice. Especially, when it is because of the job they are now in this position.

Thanks in advance to all those who help me.

Comment

My book, Shots Fired Shots Forgiven is about Wyoming State Trooper Steve Watt, who was shot first in the eye and then four more times in the back. Not a sales pitch; it just applies to this thread.

He fought back, returned fire and hit the SOB as he tried to escape.

One eye is a hell of a handicap, but it can be overcome. I've seen it first hand.

Fight for you job. You can do it!
                              The All New
                              BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                              Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                              - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4187 users online. 273 members and 3914 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X