300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How dumb actions lead to even dumber policies

From "In Search of Intelligent Life" by Dr. James L. McClinton. Police and Security News, July/August, 2000.

"A military policeman on patrol at Eglin Air Force Base in Florida dropped his personal cell phone on the floor of his car. As he was groping for it, he managed to drive into a parked F-15 fighter jet. The patrol car was destroyed, the jet suffered $62,000 in damage, and the policeman received a concussion. Officials did not release details of his punishment, but the base has issued new guidlines for its officers, requiring they get out of the car for ten minutes every half hour 'to combat boredom and oxygenate blood flow'."

Why a policy? Why THAT policy? If they had to pass a policy, why not require them to pay attention while driving? Or, at worst, say no personal cell phones in the patrol cars.

Nightshift,

That's the way the military does business. If one made a mistake, all made the mistake and all must pay for the mistake. It sucks to be this way because it causes good MPs to leave the military mostly because of crap like that. Why not leave it at punishment for the one idiot and let the incident be an eye opener for the rest?
    Can I give you a warning? No problem. I'M WARNING YOU, THE NEXT TIME I PULL YOU OVER I'LL GIVE YOU ANOTHER TICKET!

Comment

When I was an MP, they'd have made us all do drivers training or banned cell phones (if they'd been around back then). Just like when they took out the AM/FM radios because guys would turn them up and not hear the radio.

My question is how that screw-up gave birth to that policy?

Comment

Military Intelligence?

------------------
        Good luck and be safe

Jack
        Optimistic pessimist: Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Jack

[email protected]

Comment

Saw a picture of the wreck on a police photo site (can't remember the address) & wondered how someone runs into a parked jet. Thanks for the explanation.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9536 users online. 482 members and 9054 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X