300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overtime jobs

I work for a College P.D. We have alot of overtime that requires officers to work extra hours on your day off. The question I have is, does your department require all extra jobs to come through them? My department charges 35 dollars an hour per officer to any group wanting police to work their event. Lts. and up receive a check for 35 per hour because they are exempt from o.t. Sgts and below receive your o.t. pay and the remainder of that 35 dollars goes to the department. As you can see, Sgts and below get the royal shaft. Do any of your departments do this kind of thing? Is there anything that can be done about it? Thanks.

Originally posted by bullseye48
    I work for a College P.D. We have alot of overtime that requires officers to work extra hours on your day off. The question I have is, does your department require all extra jobs to come through them? My department charges 35 dollars an hour per officer to any group wanting police to work their event. Lts. and up receive a check for 35 per hour because they are exempt from o.t. Sgts and below receive your o.t. pay and the remainder of that 35 dollars goes to the department. As you can see, Sgts and below get the royal shaft. Do any of your departments do this kind of thing? Is there anything that can be done about it? Thanks.

If you are getting time and a half I don't see that your dept. is required to do anything else. Lt's and up sound like they are getting the shaft not you.

Comment

Originally posted by hbliam
      If you are getting time and a half I don't see that your dept. is required to do anything else. Lt's and up sound like they are getting the shaft not you.
      Lt's and up get their regular pay when they work their shift. The check they receive is on their day off just like it is for me. The department keeps the extra money out of that 35 dollars. It's about 9 dollars an hour that the department keeps. I could be wrong I guess but it does not seem fair to me.

Comment

Doing it the way your department does ensures that you are working in your official capacity while performing the OT assignment. This means you are covered by workers comp, disability retirement benefits, and whatever legal defense state law requires police agencies to provide their officers if they are sued or charged with a criminal offense for an act committed in the performance of their duties.

OTOH, if you are getting paid by the individual throwing the event, you will be looked at as an independent contractor. If you get hurt, killed or sued in that setting there will be no benefits from your department and no one to look to for help but yourself.

It also protects you from allegations that you have been "bought" by the person holding the event. Because the department is paying you, your loyalty is clearly to them rather than the event promoter. It is not unusual for someone paying a cop on the side for private security to ask them to look the other way when problems arise that could be difficult for them.
        Last edited by L-1; 11-12-2006, 07:31 PM.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

OT Jobs

I've posted the Alabama DPS policy regarding off-duty and O/T on another thread, so won't do it here. L-1 really provided you with some great info. I really urge you to retain it. I recall, reading some years ago, of a municipal officer in Pennsylvania working an approved off-duty job at a fast food restaurant. The officer was injured by an automobile which backed into him while he was directing traffic. The injury resulted in his being off work for quite a while, with recurring doctor's appointments etc. The fast food joint wouldn't cover his medical under their workman's comp, asserting the officer was employed by the city. The city refused payment on the grounds that the Officer was not working for the city, but for the fast food franchise. Doesn't take a whole lot of imagination to see where the problem was here. In short, I don't think I'd be too displeased with the department taking out money to cover you in the event of injury. Hopefully, you'll never need it, but it's a blessing to know you're covered.

Comment

overtime

I appreciate all responces I have received but I need to mention one thing. I work for a large University P.D. All of our O.T. is on the Campus and there is alot of it. We have to work games for the Athletic Assoc and there are a ton of other events. The department takes 35 dollars per hour from the organizers of these events but only pays us overtime. Some officers may be working shift so they only get straight time. Lts and up get the 35 an hour check, but Sgts and below only get OT. It doesnt seem fair to me but then again I am only a "slicksleeve" so what I think means nothing to the department.

Comment

Charging for overhead is not unusual. 12 years ago I worked for an agency that paid its top step officers $23 per hour but charged $95 per hour for their services. When they discovered they were pricing themselves out of business, they lowered their fee to $65 per hour. In part it's just greed. But there are also legitimate additional costs for OT officers beyond their wages. In my state, workers comp for cops runs around an additional 7% of their hourly wage (regular and OT). Then there is the prorated costs (depreciation and maintenance) of equipment used for the OT event. In addition, patrol car use (repair, maintenance, wear, depreciation and gas) is usually cost out at around $0.75 per mile, etc.

Now the issue with your lieutenants may be a little different. Do you know if they are FLSA exempt employees?

Comment

Exempt Employees

L-1, The Lts. are exempt employees so they are paid the 35 dollars an hour. I don't have a problem with that but why does the department give them the full 35 an hour but not the rest of us? They say that the money the department receives goes into the budget.

Comment

It sounds like your all getting the shaft. In NJ, most contracts have a PT rate of $50-$60 an hour and the town gets a few of the $ per hour. The officer rate would be minus the few dollars the town gets but it's specified in the contract. My dept. doesn't have a PT rate, we just get OT. Currently, a max Ptl. makes around $56 an hour on OT and our Sgt's make around $63 for part time jobs.

Comment

If $35 per hour represented time and a half wages, that would mean your Lieutenants normally make around $4,060 per month. That's pretty crappy pay for a middle manager, even in the south. But, I digress.

Not knowing all the circumstances of your employment I'm going to have to speculate here and talk in vague generalities (as managers are known to do from time to time).

Generally speaking, and unless their union contract specifies a greater amount, FLSA rules limit hourly employees to only receiving time and a half for their OT. Some union contracts negotiate higher rates, or require that you be paid for a minimum number of hours, even if you work less than that. If all you are getting is time and a half on an hourly basis, then this is what your union (if you have one) has settled on. In the absence of a union contract, you are getting what FLSA mandates as a matter of law. If you want more, your union needs to negotiate it in the next contract or you need to change the FLSA rules.

FLSA exempt employees are another story. They are salaried rather than hourly and are not eligible for any form of compensation for OT that's necessary in order to fulfill their "individual duty statement". However, I suspect working the type of OT assignments you mention does not fall within their individual duty statement, making them eligible for some form of additional compensation. The problem is, how much do you compensate them? If you go with time and a half, you are treating them like hourly employees, which can backfire on the agency. If you start subjecting FLSA exempt employees to the same working conditions as hourly workers, the exempts can file a class action lawsuit claiming they were erroneously classified as exempt when they are really hourly. This allows them to collect three years back OT along with a 200% penalty. My prior agency faced just such a situation a couple of years ago. Had they not negotiated a settlement, they were looking at paying possibly $26 million in back OT to around 200 lieutenants. In order to avoid creating problems for itself, I am going to bet that your department says OT for lieutenants is voluntary and wages of more than time and a half are offered to avoid making it look like they are being treated like hourly staff.

As far as the extra money going back to the college, many agencies do just that to raise revenue. The city next door to the one I live in even charges for hours of service provided by their unpaid explorer scouts at major events. It's not that unusual.

Comment

Thanks L-1

Thanks for the detailed response. I understand better now. By the way we dont have a Union Contract. You know how the South is with the exception of Florida. I wish all working people had a Contract.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5793 users online. 358 members and 5435 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X