300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to Mississippi, got questions

OK, I got approval to go to the Spanish School in Mississippi!!!!!!! (I could say Meridian, or RCTA, but it is so much more fun typing Mississippi) Now the questions. Is this one of those schools where I cannot leave the campus the entire time and have to speak nothing but spanish for the week or will I have time to drop a hook in the water somewhere? Is there access to a work out facility? Are the meals OK or should I plan on dropping some cash for edible food? Do I need/want a rental car or can I catch a shuttle to the air station from town? Any other info or hints would be appreciated. Looking forward to the opportunity to learn and see something/someplace new.

Is this one of those schools where I cannot leave the campus the entire time

Not at all. You're on a naval training base. You have full privlidges to all the facilites, but you can leave base any time you feel like. When you arrive to check in, just tell the DOD cop you're there for RCTA and he'll give you a pass.

have to speak nothing but spanish for the week or will I have time to drop a hook in the water somewhere?

There are several lakes on and around Meridian NAS. A couple within sight of where you'll stay.

Is there access to a work out facility?

Nice big gym. I don't remember if you have access to the commissary (grocery store), but you have access to all other facilities (including the PX).

Are the meals OK or should I plan on dropping some cash for edible food?

It's military food. Take that for what it's worth. Personally, I always like military breakfasts......lunch is pretty standard; a choice of short order (hamburgers etc) or the meal of the day (meatloaf etc). Dinner is a toss up.

There is a McDonalds on base, as well as the NCO club, which has standard bar meals, plus a pizza shop.

Meridian has all types of restaurants. We hit the Outback a time or two.

Do I need/want a rental car or can I catch a shuttle to the air station from town?

Access to a car is nice. We drove up, so I don't know about the shuttle situation, but the base is about 10 miles outside of town, so if you plan to leave base, a car is required. Also, the speed limits on the base are really low and they DO enforce them.

Any other info or hints would be appreciated.

The library has free net access and the NCO club sells it for about $3 an hour.

Your room will have a fridge, coffee maker, iron, VCR etc. The rooms are furnished in standard govt. furniture but they try to make it comfortable (except the matress:rolleyes .

You can buy whatever you need food-wise on base and use the fridge if you want. Also plenty of movie rentals available.

If you want to get some deals while you are there, you can shop in the PX. Items in there are not taxed and the profit margin is really low.

Anything else you want to know? Sparky can probably be a help here too.

Comment

You'll have access to the PX, but not the commissary. Don't worry. The PX has all the grocery stuffs you might want. Bread, sandwich stuff, chips, dips, licorice whips. The PX also sells cigs and dip and has a "class six" (army for liquor store).

There is also a place where you can rent movies and the tv in your room has a vcr.

You will be quartered in one of two areas. One used to be BOQ, bachelor officers quarters. Two to a room with a nice shared latrine. Maid service every day. Fridge, micro, good a/c unit, phone.

The other billeting area is former NCO quarters. The a/c doesn't work well. Still two to a room, but there is one big latrine bay with two showers for the whole bay. (so wake up a little early) You may or may not have a fridge and vcr, but usually so. rooms do have a phone.

Beware! The phones aften go down. It's a government thing.

The key to gettig a room by yourself (and sometimes better quarters) is to check in late after the "reporting time". They have a facility like a hotel where they have folks that can check you into a room anytime. You just won't get your class materials until the morning and will have to check in at CTA before class. (HINT: Always check in late. this has only worked against me once.)

Everything that you will need will be in walking distance. The food is military chow hall food. (Tastes bad and there's not enough of it.) There is a Mickey D's, but remember, yo are on a training base so they roll up the sidewalks at, like, 9:00pm. There is also a full blown movie theatre, but the movies are second run.

My best advice...stop by the PX at lunch on your first day and buy plenty of poagie bait (snacks and sandwich stuff) for the room. You will have a fridge. It is customary to leave left over beer and cold drinks in the fridge for the next guy that comes in.

Your RCTA ID will give you access to the entire faciltiy except the commissary. Ask the military guys at the RCTA about fishing and other stuff. They have golf, and even horseback riding and stuff. The military support guys there are great and they will bend over backwards to help you out.

If you don't have a POV, then you can just buddy up with someone there who does.

Warning! If there are any guys there from Louisiana....they MAY tend to get you in trouble.

Oh yeah...when you go to the "the place"..tell "Cherry" that "Sparky" says "Hello"!
      -Sparky

Comment

Thanks guys, that's the kind of stuff I needed to know. Travel is making all my flight and car arraingments so don't know when I will get in there.

Originally posted by Sparky:

Warning! If there are any guys there from Louisiana....they MAY tend to get you in trouble.
        I've only met one person from Louisiana in my life and that was old partners wife back in South Dakota. If she was any indicator I have no doubt you are right as she used to get us all in trouble, but, she sure was a fun kind of trouble.

Oh yeah...when you go to the "the place"..tell "Cherry" that "Sparky" says "Hello"!
        This is part of the travel arraingments I don't have my wife help me remember, right??????

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky:

Hey now, wait one second here....I've been to Meridan when I was there for school while I was in the Navy. I don't seem to remember getting anyone in trouble.. Oh wait, I don't remember to well, I may have been a little intoxicated.

DR, you'll be fine with a good ole' boy from Luziana..He'll teach ya the way.

Have fun and be safe.
          Attitude is a reflection of leadership.

Comment

The "safety word" is: "HOOTIE HOOOO!"
            -Sparky

Comment

RCTA makes the thought of staying in Regina at Depot while on a course even duller and less interesting than I ever thought of before!
              "Cherry" sounds like some of the "ladies" on the "stroll" in downtown Regina!
              #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
              Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
              RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
              Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
              "Smile" - no!

Comment

I've been lucky with the single rooms. A lot of it depends on how many classes are happening at the same time.

"Beware! The phones aften go down. It's a government thing."

And cell phone reception blows!

"It is customary to leave left over beer and cold drinks in the fridge for the next guy that comes in."

Left-over beer? I've never heard of that. You mean some people actually don't drink it all?

Comment

I'm trying to remember the name of the club you guys will end up at...........damn!

One night during the week, a bunch of you will go down and take over the place. Bring plenty of $1's.

Comment

That was short lived fun. I've already been bumped. Something about the navy not gicving them enough beds so they are dumping all the out of region people first. Suck to be me. Oh well. I'll catch one of them next year. Now I have to find a new excuse for not taking the Sgts exam.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7902 users online. 324 members and 7578 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                    X