300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone just "had enough"

I have 7 1/2 years full time under my belt and close to 3 1/2 more years part time. I have had enough of the idiots that file a report that you "stopped them for no reason" after you just let them go for speeding WITHOUT citing them. I have had MORE than enough of the "you're only stopping me because I am black" race card thrown at me. I have had enough of watching the guys that do nothing but surf the net and watch tv get things while hard working officers get written up for not filling out paperwork correctly because they were out making arrests. I have had enough of the backstabbing and bitching and negativity. What the hell was I thinking taking the Union President position? I shoulda been a firefighter.
    Last edited by Kevin_Callahan; 03-26-2008, 01:26 AM.
    Anyone who believes "the customer is always right" has never been a police officer.

Yep, your right, sometimes it just plain sucks. But you know whats funny? Most of us, maybe even you, would still do it again, because its just a part of who we are, you know.,,,,,

Comment

If I had it all to do over again, I'd be a firefighter or something different. I wonder how many citizen complaints THEY get?
      What Delta said x2

Comment

I'm a cop married to a firefighter and I can tell you, first hand, that they get very few, if any. It's usually citizens bringing them cookies and cakes and stuff to the firehouse with thank you cards and hugs... and yes, they eat 'em! I will say, however, that they have their share of politic BS too. They actually deal with a lot of the same internal stuff that we do. In our case, I can actually say that we have a stronger union and so "we" (police) usually fare better than they do.
        I have a great respect for firemen but I'm a cop. Like CAHokie said, it's just who I am. If it's not in you now, maybe it never was and it's time to move on. If it's just a rut, make some changes. Step down from your position because if you're really that fed up, you won't be able to do anyone any good when they're looking to you for help. Once you alleviate some of that stress, maybe you'll remember exactly why you chose the blues over the hose.
        I do not follow blindly the orders of my superiors, but rather employ that philosophy whereby I do as they would have told me to had they known what they were talking about.

Comment

My personal opinion: It sucks, it happens every day, it happens everywhere.
          My personal soultion: I focus my anger and work twice as hard as I need to, I don't care what my colleagues are doing. I am not responsible for their actions or failure to take action. I am only responsible for me. I am so tired of colleagues who say "that's not my job, So & so gets paid to do that, not me.

Just do what you are supposed to do and have satisfaction in that. If you don't get promoted, then so be it. Do what is expected of you and then some.

I don't care what my partners are doing on the clock; as long as they come to help me when I'm getting my *** kicked, it doesn't matter.
          “Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

I did do it all over again. I got out in 1996 after 12 years. Considered it a retirement and started looking for something new. After a year, I missed it terribly and I wanted back in, and it took me 5 years to get back in ( I burned a lot of bridges in leaving).

I love the job despite the crap, and it exists at all levels and all agencies, regardless of size or location. Was never happy doing anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin_Callahan
              I have 7 1/2 years full time under my belt and close to 3 1/2 more years part time. I have had enough of the politics and watching those that lap dance the Chief get promoted. I have had enough of the idiots that file a report that you "stopped them for no reason" after you just let them go for speeding WITHOUT citing them. I have had MORE than enough of the "you're only stopping me because I am black" race card thrown at me. I have had enough of watching the guys that do nothing but surf the net and watch tv get things while hard working officers get written up for not filling out paperwork correctly because they were out making arrests. I have had enough of the backstabbing and bitching and negativity. What the hell was I thinking taking the Union President position? I shoulda been a firefighter.
              Sounds like my department. The 2 guys they just promoted to Sgt. have attitudes and personalities of a bad car crash. Both are major suck asses and are considered Lt. Junior. and HE is considered Chief Junior. Neither of them scored well on the written test and only got promoted cause of their affiliation with the LT. I was walking in the station the other day , hands full with my duty bag, PBT unit and jacket, that [email protected]#tard Sgt. saw me and couldnt even move the 6 feet to open the door for me. The other one is the one who gave me crap for a 30minute OT card when I found a fire in someones backyard a few months ago.
              Because I work in a small town now where NOTHING happens every little thing like WEAR YOUR TIE AND HAT is over exposed and becomes a big deal. One of the Sgt.s has rep of having his hat screwed on at the begining of the shift. A few guys and him get a domestic call and they are at the door, well one of the guys doesnt have his lid on, Sgt. Screwtights makes him go back to the patrol car to get his hat... This is right before they go in to possible fight a domestic suspect...
              We do what we do because we cant let all the tightwads do it.
              I got nothing for now

Comment

Welcome to the world of LE. Politics are EVERYWHERE and so are brown nosers.

People ALWAYS complain when they get caught doing whatever. The race card is used everywhere. Not citing someone is your choice. We are given the authority to make choices as long as they are within the guidelines of the dept's policy and procedures.

People have different work ethics. You can only be responsible for your own!

Every dept has backstabbers, negative attitudes and bitching! As for the Union President job? I would NEVER ever take that job...because you have to "please" both sides...and frankly, sir that is virtually impossible!
                This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

I think we all have these kind of days where we think "sod it" why should I do it if no one else will.
                  You spend an hour or so playing everyone elses game of cherry picking what calls they go to etc etc and then you can't help yourself you see something or someone that gives you that gut feeling and you have to do something.
                  What you are feeling just makes you one of the better cops because a part of you still cares.
                  Anyway enough fluffy stuff, just pull yourself together man!

Comment

Originally posted by motorwaycop
                    I think we all have these kind of days where we think "sod it"
                    I am going to start saying that at work. I want to see people give me weird looks, although they do that all the time already.

Comment

Originally posted by So Fla Cop
                      There are no politics in policing. This job is on the level.
                      Such a wise man. I was wondering about that the other day, glad you cleared it up for me
                      I mean to kill you in one minute, Ned. Or see you hanged in Fort Smith at Judge Parker's convenience. Which'll it be?
                      I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man.
                      Fill your hands, you son of a b****.... JW

Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway.... JW

Comment

at least you're not in the military doing this job. it's somewhere between babysitting and a lobotomy. only not quite as enjoyable. oh well, my wife's hot and i dig who i work with. i suppose i've found my motivation.
                        Petty thugs, selling drugs. If you think you can try and sell bammer – you'll end up going to the slammer!

- Sheriff John Bunnell

...tool.

Comment

Originally posted by So Fla Cop
                          There are no politics in policing. This job is on the level.
                          Darned tootin'!

GET OUT! GET OUT NOW!!!!!

Seriously - just try to put yourself back on the first day and how you felt then - why you did it then.

But remember, this is just a job. The prestige is intoxicating but it's pretend. It isn't real.

Pursue your passion, whatever it is. Just don't stay in law enforcement if you don't love it - it can kill you if you go after it half-fast.
                          The All New
                          BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                          Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                          - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Kevin,
                            Well i too have had about enough. What I recommend is taking 3-4 weeks off. And do absolutely nothing. That is what i just did. I am going back to work in a couple of days. I have 5 yrs. military and 5 yrs. civilian. I am strongly considering kissing it goodbye. We have a few changes going on ie. new Chief. I am going to wait a bit longer and then decide. The one thing i wonder is; How different is it for the Feds. I am strongly considering something international for a couple of years and then a federal position. This everyday bowlsh** (mostly within the dept.) is not what i expected from the civilian sector. With 5 yrs in i cannot believe i am already saying less than 15 to go. I cannot live my life like this. There is no camradiere/teamwork. everyman for themselves. just not what i expected in the civilian police world, after 5 yrs in the military. GOOD LUCK

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin_Callahan
                              I have 7 1/2 years full time under my belt and close to 3 1/2 more years part time. I have had enough of the politics and watching those that lap dance the Chief get promoted. I have had enough of the idiots that file a report that you "stopped them for no reason" after you just let them go for speeding WITHOUT citing them. I have had MORE than enough of the "you're only stopping me because I am black" race card thrown at me. I have had enough of watching the guys that do nothing but surf the net and watch tv get things while hard working officers get written up for not filling out paperwork correctly because they were out making arrests. I have had enough of the backstabbing and bitching and negativity. What the hell was I thinking taking the Union President position? I shoulda been a firefighter.
                              Get help quick! You're right at the point where (according to the DOJ) most officers experience burn-out. It took me 9 years & my Dept. did nothing & it cost me alot,personally. You're experiencing what many officers go through & I guarantee you ,you are not alone. The job is a good thing, filled with opportunities most people only dream they could experience. It sounds like you need a break for a good, long time then you could back into it. Get help,realize what you're experiencing then get back on the horse. while you may have had enough, I'm sure there are co-workers there that feel you're a great asset to them. Good Luck!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2165 users online. 88 members and 2077 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X