300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone have this supervisory problem?

Today for the third time I have found out that a First Sergeant in my agency who neither supervises me nor has any idea what my area of responsibility is has called my Sergeant to worry him about a call that I was given. Not only was the call well within my responsibilities as a rural trooper (This supervisor supervises an interstate only county) but was given to me because of special skills that I have, that others from that particular sheriff's office lack.

This supervisor never speaks to trooper's directly to ask about what is going on he merely listens to a tiny bit of radio traffic and decides to supervise every one elses area. My Sergeant has no recourse in my agency because he is outranked by the other area's supervisor. It is clear when he calls me that he doesn't want to, but has been ordered to do so because this is how he describes it. I have no recourse because I'm just a lowly trooper (in my agency lower than a civillian). Do any other of you guys have problems with a supervisor that has absolutely no say on your evaluation or anything else within your realm of responsibility but tries to supervise you and every other unit within your department? He won't talk to me if there is a problem because he won't lower himself to talk to me. It would also be mildly inappropriate because he does not supervise my area or me. I don't know why the supervision in my area doesn't realize I can't follow the direct orders of an area supervisor that doesn't do things the way MY area supervisor does things without causing a snafu that will be blamed on me failing to follow area policy.
    Last edited by vsp645; 09-14-2006, 04:28 PM.

I can sympathize with you on a level or two. I have a DIRECT supervisor who refuses to confront you to your face and would rather issue directives/orders/criticism via email of all things. What irks me the most is that he will shoot you an email, dogging you out for somthing or another one minute, and then you see him in the hallway two minutes later and he acts like nothing happened. What the???

What I've learned with issues like this VSP645, is that if you like your job enough, you'll have to just keep your yap shut because it's not going to get you anywhere with supervisors like the one you're talking about. Those are the types of people who probably got into the position they did by kissing up to the right people and saying all of the right things. And they wouldn't hesitate for one second to get you into some hot water if you did decide to speak up.

Just make a concious decision NOT to be like that if/when you finally get into a supervisory position. I know it may be hard but try not to sweat the small stuff.
    Sweat...Saves...Blood

Comment

Assuming that the First Sergeant has no supervisory responsibility towards the quality of work performed by you or your supervisor, then I think the problem rests with your supervisor.

In such a case, the First is attempting to artificially place himself in a position of authority over your supervisor to which he is not entitled. In doing to, he is denying your supervisor the right to regulate that for which he alone is responsible. That is unacceptable. Irrespective of rank, it violates the chain of command and also denies your supervisor's boss the ability to regulate that for which he is responsible.

It is incumbent upon your supervisor to go to his boss, who in turn should go to whoever manages the First, explain the situation and ask them to direct the First to stop his interference.
      Last edited by L-1; 09-14-2006, 03:51 AM.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Sounds like your First Sergeant needs to tell the other one to worry about his own troops and find a hobby instead of listening to the radio.

If I was the First Sergeant over your area, I would have some serious issues with someone else sticking their nose into my business.

Get into this guys car and disable the repeater so his handset won't work in the house

At least you'll have a little peace until he gets it repaired.
        Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Now that I think about it though, Does the First Sergeant have a "past" with your Sergeant?

If he has a [email protected]#d-on for him for some reason he may just be trying to make him miserable.

Either way, sounds like your First Sergeant needs to "address" the issue.
          Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Friend ..... just roll with it and don't let it bowl you over.

I can see by the tone of your post that you are letting this whole deal adversly affect your moral and satisfaction with your career at present. I have been there. Don't let it get you down. It is an attitude that you chose and one that you alone can choose to improve upon.

If by chance .... your regular first shirt is by chance .... maybe absent for a long time (like say, maybe in a 10 week school, etc), and the problem you think you are having is stemming from another first shirt appointed to oversee your area as well as his in your first shirt's extended absence (it happens sometimes), and if I were you ... I doub't that I would be posting this here on the internet.

It's just not something I would make so public, perhaps better to have a sit down with your own line supervisor (buck sgt.) I think.

Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 09-14-2006, 12:05 PM.
            "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

If by chance .... your regular first shirt is by chance .... maybe absent for a long time (like say, maybe in a 10 week school, etc), and the problem you think you are having is stemming from another first shirt appointed to oversee your area as well as his in your first shirt's extended absence (it happens sometimes), and if I were you ... I doub't that I would be posting this here on the internet.

It's just not something I would make so public, perhaps better to have a sit down with your own line supervisor (buck sgt.) I think.

[/QUOTE]

Oh good, you know the situation. I don't like the fact that this first shirt has never spoken to me about the situations that he has wanted changed. He has had two face to face oppurtunities but instead left me explaining myself to someone who wasn't at the scene and could not possible make a well-educated decision. I have removed the last line of my post based on our private conversation. However, I don't like the fact that as always in our department it is always more important to make liability based decisions without even talking to the on the call unit. (Yes, it was a call that he has forbidden me from taking)
              He never even bothered to ask me about said call. Whether he is watching over my area or not the least he could have done is spoken to me. This will make two incidents with this First Sergeant where he has had the oppurtunity to speak with me about his concerns but instead waited until he had left the scene to call someeone who wasn't there to make a judgement. His judgement on the last call was arbitrary because he doesn't even know the nature of the call. Based on my conversation with my buck Sergeant he clearly thinks he knows the situation.

just my two cents. Maybe I've overreacted because of some other issues but I don't have time to defend myself from someone who wasn't there because the person who was there couldn't speak to me.

Comment

Originally posted by vsp645

Oh good, you know the situation. I don't like the fact that this first shirt has never spoken to me about the situations that he has wanted changed. He has had two face to face oppurtunities but instead left me explaining myself to someone who wasn't at the scene and could not possible make a well-educated decision. I have removed the last line of my post based on our private conversation. However, I don't like the fact that as always in our department it is always more important to make liability based decisions without even talking to the on the call unit. (Yes, it was a call that he has forbidden me from taking)
                He never even bothered to ask me about said call. Whether he is watching over my area or not the least he could have done is spoken to me. This will make two incidents with this First Sergeant where he has had the oppurtunity to speak with me about his concerns but instead waited until he had left the scene to call someeone who wasn't there to make a judgement. His judgement on the last call was arbitrary because he doesn't even know the nature of the call. Based on my conversation with my buck Sergeant he clearly thinks he knows the situation.

just my two cents. Maybe I've overreacted because of some other issues but I don't have time to defend myself from someone who wasn't there because the person who was there couldn't speak to me. [/QUOTE] I'm not aware of your individual incidents, but a good first step is ALWAYS establishing a good rapport with your immediate supervisor. know what to expect from him and let him know what's going on with you. If you need to leave your zone etc, let him know. That way, when another supervisor questions him or you about your actions, he can say you cleared it with him. On the other hand , a good supervisor is supposed to back you up and stand up for you and not let other supervisors "second -guess" you. There's no way you are going to change the command structure there, or anywhere else. If you can't work within the parameters they give you, you're better off looking elsewhere to make your career, otherwise you'll be miserable for a long time.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11149 users online. 420 members and 10729 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X