300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "9-11-01: Five Years Later" Questions

Next Monday, on the anniversary of the September 11th, 2001 attacks, Officer.com will be running a number of special editorial features and news stories in commemoration of the event. To that end, I'd like to get some responses from the forum members here in regards to how the 9/11 attacks changed their personal and professional lives. Here are the areas I'd like to hear about:
    1. What have we learned in the last five years?
    2. What has changed in law enforcement since 9/11/01?
    3. What hasn't changed, but needs to?
    4. What do we still need to do?
    5. If there was another terrorist attack today, would we be better prepared than we were five years ago?
    6. Do you perform any duties specifically directed at counterterrorism?

You don't have to answer every question, but give me some indication of which question you're responding to. If you would like to be quoted (I'm betting that most of you don't), then send me an e-mail at [email protected], so your real name won't be associated with your forum name. Otherwise, I'll attribute any responses I use to either your forum name or "an unnamed forum user," at your option.

I really do want your candid opinions on this. Keep it clean, but feel free to speak your mind.
    Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

9-11-01 +5

1. What have we learned in the last five years?
    2. What has changed in law enforcement since 9/11/01?
    3. What hasn't changed, but needs to?
    4. What do we still need to do?
    5. If there was another terrorist attack today, would we be better prepared than we were five years ago?
    6. Do you perform any duties specifically directed at counterterrorism?

I believe that we have learned about complacency. We enjoyed a life without terror or terrorist and have now have come to a realization that it can happen here.

Although some changes in law enforcement have taken place such as guarding our water supply areas and updating our emergency plans, I don’t think that as it relates to terrorism, we have actually done enough to prepare.

I can honestly say that even though we have discussed the plan, we have never actually tested the plan. Moving to an EOC, coordination between agencies, backup communication systems and resource availability must all be performed and not discussed.

Train, train and train till it becomes second nature and seamless.

I believe that during a second attack, we would have only a small margin of success more than we did back on 9/11/01.

My job doesn’t specifically deal with terrorism, but I do forensic work on electronic evidence and there is always a possibility that I may someday come across something. So I always look.

I will just close with the fact that I was in NYC at Ground Zero on that fateful Tuesday. Growing up interested in WW II, watching numerous films related to battles, my 12 years on the job as an officer and my 15 years as a volunteer firefighter, never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined what I saw when I reached West and Vessey St. The hours and the days following brought out the best in Americans, but did little to erase the sites I saw that day.

Stay safe.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6773 users online. 351 members and 6422 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X