• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C/O Vs. P/O Poll (Squad Room)

Originally posted by Hogboy
    Present total out of 421 cops

385 don't like jail guards

36 like jail guards

Don't get mad at me, guys. You are the ones who want to put everything to a vote

Also, I am one of the ones who likes jail guards
    Hogboy in the Corrections forum states that overwhelmingly P.O.'s do not "like" C/O's.

I am doing a survey here in the Squad Room to see how other LEO's will respond.

I "like" C/O's. I will start off.
    I "Like" C/O's.
    88.30%
    I "Dislike" C/O's
    11.70%

The poll is expired.

C/O'S and LEO'S

For myself I liked C/O's they had their job (that I would not do) and i had mine. Someone had to look after the scumbags that I arrested.

Comment

I "like" C/O's. They have a tough job and I give them much respect. The only problem with C/O's is that the hiring process is often not as tough as police so more "bad apples" get in. This is not by choice however, this is because not as many people apply for the job. I don't hold it against the good guys which far exceed the bad ones. As far as I am concerned, we are on the same team.
      It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

Originally posted by SeVere
        Hogboy in the Corrections forum states that overwhelmingly P.O.'s do not "like" C/O's.

I am doing a survey here in the Squad Room to see how other LEO's will respond.

I "like" C/O's. I will start off.

Many of the people on this website are NOT police officers. My poll includes ONLY people I KNOW are police officers

By the way, I voted that I DO like "CO'S"

I don;t like the TITLE of "CO"

Would you prefer the title "Jail Life Coach" ?

Comment

CO's vs PO's

Speaking as someone who was a corrections officer before a police officer, I have a great amount of respect for co's. We are all working towards the same goal. *raises the flag*

Comment

Well said TPD_COP. I also was a Corrections Officer before becoming a Police Officer and I agree.

Comment

What would you consider a C/O vs a P/O ? I have always thought of C/O's as those whose primary function is the safety and security of a PRISON facility where as a P/O is anyone who works for a municipality, county or state with the title of Police Officer, Deputy Sheriff or State Trooper

Comment

I'm not a police officer, so I choose not to vote on this poll. I am a Probation & Parole Officer and that puts me somewhere in between C/O's and P/O's. I cannot honestly say I have a beef with an entire profession. There are good C/O's and there are bad C/O's, there are good P/O's and there are bad P/O's and I can honestly say I have worked with all four of the before mentioned catagories.
                "We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered." - Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead

Comment

Originally posted by BS_CJ
                  What would you consider a C/O vs a P/O ? I have always thought of C/O's as those whose primary function is the safety and security of a PRISON facility where as a P/O is anyone who works for a municipality, county or state with the title of Police Officer, Deputy Sheriff or State Trooper
                  Can I get a reply?

Comment

You are correct, so whats your question?
                    Be sure you're right, then go ahead
                    Davy Crockett

Never pick a fight with an old man.
                    If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you

PM me if you wanna swap patches.

Comment

I like any person out there trying to make a difference for the better. Somebody has to do the c/o's job, so why dislike someone because of something which needs to be done. Of course like anywhere, you will have a few bad apples, but thats just human nature.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowles
                        You are correct, so whats your question?
                        It just appeared to me in previous posts and other threads that some people were lumping Deputy Sheriffs that work in the Jail with Correctional Officers in prisons and I just wanted to make sure there is no confusion that they are two very different positions....one is a certified peace officer the other is not ....for the most part depending on where you live ...void where prohibited by law...batteries not included.....objects in mirror are closer than they appear....some assembly required....okay sorry tangent over....

Comment

I have no problem with them. Some are rude to me, but some are also friendly and helpful. Every agency has it's bad apples. No beef here though .

Comment

It just appeared to me in previous posts and other threads that some people were lumping Deputy Sheriffs that work in the Jail with Correctional Officers in prisons and I just wanted to make sure there is no confusion that they are two very different positions....one is a certified peace officer the other is not ....for the most part depending on where you live ...void where prohibited by law...batteries not included.....objects in mirror are closer than they appear....some assembly required....okay sorry tangent over....
                            The job is for the most part THE SAME. The only difference you are speaking of is the fact that a Sheriff Deputized you and allowed you to carry a firearm and make arrests. The core function of a Deputy who functions as a Correctional Officer for a majority of his/her employment responsibilities is identical for the most part to a State C.O.

That is what the poll is about.

It's Not whether you are a C/O, a C/O with arrest powers, or a Deputy Sheriff Peace Officer whose job responsibilities involve primarily the care custody and control of inmates incarcerated in the county jail.

In other words, a C/O is a C/O whether a C/O, Corrections Deputy, Deputy Sheriff (assigned to the jail), or any other semantical distinction.

Cook County Illinois' job title is Correctional Officer. They are deputized but the fact remains their primary responsibility involves the security of the Cook County Jail. Any other distinction is merely semantics.

My poll is to see whether Police Officers "like" Correctional Officers or any person who is employed to provide for the care custody and control of an incarceration facility whether state, local or federal, sworn or not.

If one rotates in and out of the jail, I guess this would not really apply to those Deputy Sheriffs. It would apply, however, to any deputy whose primary responsibility is to provide security at the jail. If you have to take another test to go out on the street because your job description is limited, it applies. If you have to go to another academy after you pass another test, it applies. If you are fully trained as a LEO and they can take you right out of the jail and put you on patrol, it does not apply.
                            Last edited by SeVere; 03-28-2006, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TPD_cop
                              Speaking as someone who was a corrections officer before a police officer, I have a great amount of respect for co's. We are all working towards the same goal. *raises the flag*
                              Well said! Probation Officer here in Nor Cal. I'm on the streets...not in a prison or a jail. However, I have a good friend that's a C.O. Arguably the toughest beat to patrol! I have nothing but respect for him and other C.O.s He's on a Level 4 yard...a ratio of 300 nasty felons to about 15 C.O.s Talk about "at any given moment"! Eyes in the back of their heads 24-7.

As he always tells me, "Hell, you hook em' and book em'...and get to forget about them. I get to live with them for the next decade!"

There are bad apples in all fields. Police, Sheriff, Probation, Parole, Corrections. I'd like to think we're all in it for the same reason. We all work with the same pool of dirtbags...that's for sure!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6431 users online. 289 members and 6142 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X