300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complaint Procedures

Anyone work for a department that makes it extremely easy for anyone to walk in and make a complaint that will stick with an officer for his career even if there is no basis?

Here, I have hooked people up and they have bonded out of jail and walked straight over to the police department to make a complaint. "I was arrested for something I didn't do." Or "the handcuffs were too tight." Or "that officer was not nice." Etc.

I don't have a problem with someone bitching. 1st Amend and all that. And I also believe that there should be a procedure in place to deal with real issues. I have just found here that when someone complains, it is to a supervisor who can't stop it right there if it is BS. And they typically do a dance so THEY won't get complained on. Again, I wouldn't want a super to cover up real wrong-doing, but I have seen them hang officers out to dry so their hands don't get dirty.

Does anyone work under a system that actually works (not just for the officer, but also for citizens with real complaints)?

If you don't like your complaint procedure, I can make you feel better about it.

I worked for a department where you could complete a complaint form online, anonymously, and it would be pursued to the very end. The department considered the officer guilty until proven innocent when it came to complaints...even the anonymous ones. There was even a point where the department took pictures of all the officers to post on the website so that they could be easily identified for complaint procedures.

I like the procedure we have at my current PD. Citizen walks in, talks to the Sgt or Chief, and are required to complete a written, signed, and sworn statement if you want to file a complaint. No statement, no complaint. BS complaint and you get kicked out of the office. Lie on the statement, and we'll pursue charges of Filing a False Report. Legitimate complaint, and the officer gets both barrels. That's about as fair as you get.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Bing_Oh
      Citizen walks in, talks to the Sgt or Chief, and are required to complete a written, signed, and sworn statement if you want to file a complaint. No statement, no complaint. BS complaint and you get kicked out of the office. Lie on the statement, and we'll pursue charges of Filing a False Report. Legitimate complaint, and the officer gets both barrels. That's about as fair as you get.
      This policy should be the standard, it is excellent.
      “Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

I like the procedure we have at my current PD. Citizen walks in, talks to the Sgt or Chief, and are required to complete a written, signed, and sworn statement if you want to file a complaint. No statement, no complaint. BS complaint and you get kicked out of the office. Lie on the statement, and we'll pursue charges of Filing a False Report. Legitimate complaint, and the officer gets both barrels. That's about as fair as you get.

It would be hard to argue with a system like that.
        Ours is a little more, um..... .......liberal.
        You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by 21blue28
          r "the handcuffs were too tight." Or "that officer was not nice." Etc.
          Tell them they're new and they'll feel looser after they break them in.

Comment

The ongoing problem is people lie all the time. This especially holds true when people talk with the police. One problem is that if and when you as a policeman are ever required to make a sworn statement and it deviates from the truth you may possibly be filed on for perjury or even fired. If the local district attorney would do the same to persons filing false statements (perjury charges) you would probably have a lot less lying going on. I understand that people have to have the right to voice their concerns or their complaints, but it also has to be a two way street. The good names of officers are getting smeared for no other reason than to just complain.

Comment

The brass just has to have the balls to allow us to charge people for filing false poice reports. Too bad it won't happen in my lifetime.
              What Delta said x2

Comment

If you don't like your complaint procedure, I can make you feel better about it.

I worked for a department where you could complete a complaint form online, anonymously, and it would be pursued to the very end. The department considered the officer guilty until proven innocent when it came to complaints...even the anonymous ones. There was even a point where the department took pictures of all the officers to post on the website so that they could be easily identified for complaint procedures.

That seems like a decent system. Here, for it to end up in your file, they have to write a written complaint to, but it is not sworn. The biggest problem is that they have a chance from a SGT all the way to the chief (well, I guess they could go further) to find some chicken sh&t who will flinch. Why ever give people that much power? Was it ever SOOOOOO bad that they couldn't run to the papers? Heck, with all of the video cameras around, it would be easy to put it on the news.

Comment

Also, I would like to add that it is funny how I have had so many people on the street say that they were going to send a letter to the news paper or to the chief about how I helped them. I have more positive or neutral (there to take a report from them to catch their bad guy) contact with people than negative. But so far, few, so very few, positive remarks have come my way. Now the negative is another story .......

Comment

All complaints involving traffic infraction/misdemeanors and arrests must be resolved by the courts. A person may file a written complaint for other matters after signing a written complaint form. Written complaints that are found to be false(lies) the person will be charged with (Indiana) IC 35-44-2-1. Perjury and/or IC 35-44-2-2. False Informing. This seems to take care of most complaints as most are BS. I have had some that were out right lies but they never seem to get around to signing the form,the others never seem to make it to court. Go figure! Gotta love those in car videos.
                    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Lie on the statement, and we'll pursue charges of Filing a False Report.
                      Now there is something I think I would pay to see.

Comment

Originally posted by rmedon
                        I should say, I've seen it done here. Of course it takes quite clear evidence that it was a lie. But we have done it, and the DA has pursued it. The problem is the non-sworn, even anonymous complaints that get entertained.
                        You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

i handle complaints this way MY GUYS ARE RIGHT UNLESS YOU CAN PRove THEM WRONG other than that take your complaints and go f... y...s...

Comment

I Wanna Work For You, Where Do I Sign Up???
                            Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by rmedon
                              How about the woman that is contacted by police for a crime that was committed by "someone" in her house. We have hard evidence of it. She contacts the first Sgt. and is told to fill out a complaint packet. A few hours later after calling 6 more times, she contacts the next Sgt. and he tells her the same thing. She then comes down to the station to b*tch some more, and talks to the second Sgt. again. She is being so loud and obnoxious in the lobby she gets told to leave. She refuses, repeatedly, so the Sgt. arrests her for trespassing! I book her, and she is Queen Roay B*tch, we have a THIRD Sgt. come in and she almost talks (yells) her way into the DC instead of released on a summons!

In other words, complain to us and we will arrest you!
                              When I'll be the girl that you love, you'll be the boy that I hate...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6643 users online. 347 members and 6296 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X