Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Off Duty Arrest Authority, do you have it?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Duty Arrest Authority, do you have it?

FedCop, in what state does a Police Officer have arrest authority, off-duty outside their jurisdiction? I know where I'm from we do not, that little treat is only bestowed upon the State Police. (He refers to MI)

This question was asked of me in another thread, so I ask of you, what is your authority off duty? What does your state say?

New York State: Off-duty statewide for all LEO's (municiple or state, county ect) arrest powers for any felony's or misd in your presense. Violations in your area of employment.

Off duty arrests are a hassle and i would only do one for a violent felony. let the locals handle the rest.
    retired, NOT retarded

Comment

Originally posted by winq
      New York State: Off-duty statewide for all LEO's (municiple or state, county ect) arrest powers for any felony's or misd in your presense. Violations in your area of employment.

Off duty arrests are a hassle and i would only do one for a violent felony. let the locals handle the rest.
      Agreed, but the gentleperson has problems believing that some states allow their police officers 24/7, 365 arrest powers within the state of certification. Trying to gather facts.

Comment

Originally posted by FedCop
        FedCop, in what state does a Police Officer have arrest authority, off-duty outside their jurisdiction? I know where I'm from we do not, that little treat is only bestowed upon the State Police. (He refers to MI)

This question was asked of me in another thread, so I ask of you, what is your authority off duty? What does your state say?
        In NC a off duty police officer more than one mile outside his jurisdiction has no more authority to arrest than anyone else. He has only the power to detain and even then only for certain types of crime.
        Be sure you're right, then go ahead
        Davy Crockett

Never pick a fight with an old man.
        If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you

PM me if you wanna swap patches.

Comment

NYS, 24/7 365 days a year, your never "really" off duty.
          retired, NOT retarded

Comment

California gives its peace officers full authority anywhere in the state, on duty or off.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

CT - In jurisdiction full arrest

Out of jurisdiction felony arrest powers.
              "The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination."
              - Ronald Reagan

"Here's my strategy on the Cold War: We win, they lose."
              - Ronald Reagan

Comment

Texas is 24/7/365. Have to agree that I would leave the misd. to local officers. Sometime more of a hassle than it is worth. I believe that some departments restrict officers activities but the state law give them the right to make the arrest.

Comment

Indiana if you are a full time paid sworn officer you have full authority anytime anywhere in the state. And you are ordered by law to take action in the case of a felony in your presents
                  Gods Speed

Comment

does santa deliver felony in presents ????......
                    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

In NC, arrest powers (and weapon carry authority) are like white on rice and cold on ice. As long as you're sworn, they stick with you whether on or off duty.

Deputy sheriffs in NC can arrest for any offense while in their county or on county property elsewhere in the state. They can also go anywhere in the state and arrest for a felony committed in their county.

The one-mile deal that Bowles mentioned is for city police. There isn't a one-mile zone outside a county, too bad.

In hot pursuit, we can chase crooks into VA and TN but not GA and DEFINITELY not SC.

Here's the long boring statute:

Smile Our GOD is a consuming fire! Heb 12:29

No one is entirely above the law, or entirely beneath its protection.

Rule 1: At the end of every shift, I'm going home to my kitty cats.

Comment

Originally posted by HolyRoller
                        DEFINITELY not SC.

Why is that?

Comment

Originally posted by kttref
                          CT - In jurisdiction full arrest

Out of jurisdiction felony arrest powers.
                          Identical for Maryland as well.
                          In God we trust, all others are run MILES and NCIC.

Comment

Oklahoma has a statute giving "commissioned leo's with a OK state certification" arrest authority state wide, and even added a amendment including federal agents.
                            Steve
                            Respect all ...... Fear none!!!

Comment

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                              Last edited by Nobody; 04-26-2006, 06:28 PM.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6312 users online. 262 members and 6050 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X