300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Badges for family members?

I stopped an individual the other day for a minor violation. When I asked for his ID, he handed me a badge case that had a small, gold colored badge with US Customs/Border Patrol on it. Embossed on the bottom of the case were the words "Family Member". The subject had a DL from New York. Has anyone ever seen this before or does your department authorize this type of ID for family members? In 29 years I have never seen something like this.

Courtesy shields are common in the new york metro area. This is not something that is authorized by any dept's. It more of a union thing. I personally do not give any of my family courtesy shield. I feel they are a little over the top and not necessary. PBA cards are the only thing i give family or very close friends, and even those only sparingly.
    retired, NOT retarded

Comment

Never heard that before. Although I think it's really bad idea. If you're going to badge me, I'd hope you have a gun to go with it.
      You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Badges for family members?

Not authorized by any agency I'm aware of, and certainly not Alabama DPS. As one member noted, it may be a common practice in the NY area, but definitely not in this part of the country. I'm all for professional courtesy, but a "family member badge" is a little bit much.

Comment

Never seen anything like this. But I'm not surprised to hear that it was someone from that area. Without getting into the interminable debate about professional courtesy, it seems like agencies in the northeast have a much greater tradition of ironclad PC, extending it to include family, friends and more. Something like that would NEVER fly around here, and those that try it would likely be in for a harder time than if they just acted like a normal member of the public.
          Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

What is a PBA card?

In conjunction with another thread on this forum about "would you write a fellow LEO" almost everyone said no way in hades. My wifes's question was how do you broach the subject with the officer who stopped you without sounding officious or pretentious? "My husband's a cop" seems snotty. Is this was a PBA card is for?
            Why didn't someone tell me the Taser felt like that...

Comment

Originally posted by Centurion44
              Never heard that before. Although I think it's really bad idea. If you're going to badge me, I'd hope you have a gun to go with it.
              Ditto.

Caoimh

Comment

It's just an opinion.

Originally posted by Jumper
                What is a PBA card?

In conjunction with another thread on this forum about "would you write a fellow LEO" almost everyone said no way in hades. My wifes's question was how do you broach the subject with the officer who stopped you without sounding officious or pretentious? "My husband's a cop" seems snotty. Is this was a PBA card is for?
                A "PBA card" is some sort of card issued by Police Benevolent Assiciation ... I've seen a few. I don't know if it's a union thing or what, maybe someone else will enlighten us both.

About your wife's question ... whether it's a card, a mini courtesy badge for family, or a simple statement (like "My husband's a cop") ... there is no way it's going to sound much different to the officer making the stop (nor do I think it makes a lot of difference in how the off duty LEO him/herself presents his/her ID if cordial). If the wife's of a habit to drive around with little regard for traffic laws, she's just going to need to be prepared for the inevitable stop, and it's possible results. Whatever she says or presents and it's effect on the stop depends entirely on the stopping officer and his attitudes and experiences, he's either going to cut her loose, or write it. Arguing or crying, etc ... will only tend to sway him towards writing I think.

It's just an opinion.

( To "no one in particular", I'll just add that there are greater consequences than a simple ticket, and a ticket is the one thing we all can avoid by simple adjustment of any habits we have developed that might put us in the position of someday wondering ... as we sit in the "violator position" ... "is he, or isn't he?". A simple and objective self critiquing
                of our own habits is all that is required.
                )
                Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 02-04-2006, 11:00 AM.
                "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

No worries as it was more of a philosophical discussion between my frau and I. She's actually a pretty good driver. Just ask her!
                  Why didn't someone tell me the Taser felt like that...

Comment

Originally posted by t150vsuptpr
                    A "PBA card" is some sort of card issued by Police Benevolent Assiciation ... I've seen a few. I don't know if it's a union thing or what, maybe someone else will enlighten us both.

About your wife's question ... whether it's a card, a mini courtesy badge for family, or a simple statement (like "My husband's a cop") ... there is no way it's going to sound much different to the officer making the stop (nor do I think it makes a lot of difference in how the off duty LEO him/herself presents his/her ID if cordial). If the wife's of a habit to drive around with little regard for traffic laws, she's just going to need to be prepared for the inevitable stop, and it's possible results. Whatever she says or presents and it's effect on the stop depends entirely on the stopping officer and his attitudes and experiences, he's either going to cut her loose, or write it. Arguing or crying, etc ... will only tend to sway him towards writing I think.

It's just an opinion.

( To "no one in particular", I'll just add that there are greater consequences than a simple ticket, and a ticket is the one thing we all can avoid by simple adjustment of any habits we have developed that might put us in the position of someday wondering ... as we sit in the "violator position" ... "is he, or isn't he?". A simple and objective self critiquing
                    of our own habits is all that is required.
                    )
                    Too much common sense is loaded into your post, sir.

Comment

I will second the idea that it is not surprising that it was a northeastern driver who threw out a family badge.

As far as the wife - maybe she could say something along the lines of "I should know better, my husband is a cop." Or "My husband is going to be very ****ed. How does it look for a cop's wife to get a (speeding) ticket?"

As far as PC going to realtives, I think that it goes as far as the the off duty officer's wallet. Wife, husband, sons and daughters. If it doesn't finacially impact that officer, then expect a ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by t150vsuptpr

The PBA is another union just like the FOP. The civilian side of the Sheriffs Office has that union. I forgot to mention they also cover the Sgts.
                        THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

Patience with ignorance

Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

Comment

I personally think badges for family members are silly. Some are trying to get them to catch on here, I think they are ridiculous.

Comment

I'd have to say DHS would have a **** fit and a new policy would be out within days if they knew this was going on.

Comment

I tell all my family members to not say anything about the fact that I am a police officer and to just take the citation. I have never had another officer tell me that they would not take care of a citation for me especially when I let them know it was a member of my family. I write citations all the time to family of police officers even after they tell me they have a family member who is a police officer. All I tell them before I cut them loose is that he or she will know what to do when they tell him or her about the citation. Plus it is easy to reach me because my name and unit number are on the bottom of the citation. Stay Safe!!!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2850 users online. 198 members and 2652 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X