300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HR 218 in NJ

Just got my PBA newsletter today and found a passage on HR 218. Apparently, the AG's office has decided that it is not prudent to allow off duty NJ officers to carry their duty weapon out of state , and that OFF DUTY FULL TIME COPS FROM OTHER STATES WILL BE TREATED AS CIVILIANS.

If an out of stater asks about HR 218 in NJ, he should be told he is "an ordinary citizen while visiting the state and possess no police powers." If he happens upon an incident that requires police intervention, he should "call the appropriate state, county, or municipal police department to respond."

This is a crock of S---. I'm embarrassed by it.
    What Delta said x2

Typical NJ AG

Well that sux....but should we expect anything else....

Comment

TN allows LEO's to carry inside the state. I would like to see how it could be prosicuted, with a federal law that says you can carry across state lines. Just a state level idiot trying to pretend he is on the federal level.

Comment

Who cares what NJ says? I don't want police POWERS there. I can still carry there anyway, police powers or not

Originally posted by HR 218
        (a) Notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any State or any political subdivision thereof, an individual who is a qualified law enforcement officer and who is carrying the identification required by subsection (d) may carry a concealed firearm...blah, blah, blah
        [QUOTE=Dictionary.com]not

Comment

I would rather be locked up then dead. If I deem the need to carry no matter where I go then I'm going to carry. Also I would not take any action unless there was absolutely no way around it and or my life was on the line. I would also never challenge an out of state officer carrying and I would hope that officers throughout the states would treat me the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by PFL

If an out of stater asks about HR 218 in NJ, he should be told he is "an ordinary citizen while visiting the state and possess no police powers."
            Under HR218, one does not possess, "Police Powers" when out of state, just the ability to carry concealed. Frankly, I would not want "police powers" I am not going to get involved in anything unless my life (or family) is directly in danger.
            Last edited by JHoek; 10-07-2005, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Welcome to New Germany.

If it wasn't for family I would get out of this ****ty state.

Comment

Nj HR 218

I don't go back to work til the end of the week... I'll have to see if anything came down on this issue....Nah Probably not

5 yrs 10 months left.......

Comment

Originally posted by PhillyDog
                  I would rather be locked up then dead. If I deem the need to carry no matter where I go then I'm going to carry. Also I would not take any action unless there was absolutely no way around it and or my life was on the line. I would also never challenge an out of state officer carrying and I would hope that officers throughout the states would treat me the same way.

Amen to that.
                  What Delta said x2

Comment

I believe the term "officer safety" is mentioned somewhere in the bill. The purpose of the legislation is to allow certified law enforcement officers and retirees to be able to protect themselves asnd therefore the public in certain dangerous situations. I do not believe ther was ever any intent to extend peace officer/arrest powers across state lines.

Comment

But does this mean that you, as an out of state, off duty cop in a deadly force situation is allowed to - or not allowed to use his weapon to defend himself?
                      What Delta said x2

Comment

Originally posted by PFL
                        But does this mean that you, as an out of state, off duty cop in a deadly force situation is allowed to - or not allowed to use his weapon to defend himself?

If you are carrying a gun, I'd think "allowed too".

TGY
                        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

This law, effective July of 04 , is called "The law enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004" . You can read the entire text at http://leaa.org/218/218text.html. The purpose of it is so you can carry concealed and use your firearm in necessary self defense.

Comment

Just another example of the extreme liberal New Jersey politicians. I'm glad I moved out. Would the last decent Jersey citizen to leave take the American flag with them.

Comment

Originally posted by PFL
                              It means you can use deadly force, however being that you have no "police powers" I take that to mean you have no "duty to act".
                              Steve

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3260 users online. 165 members and 3095 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X