300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "No Pursuit" policies

Hi all...I am a detective with Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department. I have been tasked with researching any departments with a "no vehicle pursuit" policy. If anyone works for a department with such a policy, or knows of a department with that policy would you please email me the name of the department and possibly a contact number? Any help would be much appreciated. Det. Greg Rosenlund
    Phone 702-229-2730
    Email [email protected]

Atlanta Police Training Academy (404) 209-5250.....we have had one for a while....only pursue for forcible felonies

Comment

All of South Florida. Why are you doing a study?

Comment

Phx P.D. has essentially eliminated pursuits by restricting them so much even the Union is advising offs. not to go in pursuit under any circumstance. Since your inquiry is official I'd suggest contacting PPD's Planning & Reasearch Bureau for a copy of the pursuit policy

Comment

I know Newark PD (NJ) had a no pursuit policy for a little while and tossed not too long thereafter, if Im not mistaken.

Comment

It's not really a "No Pursuit" policy, but here's the NJ Attorney General's Guidelines regarding pursuits.

http://www.njdcj.org/agguide/vehpurs_2001.pdf

Sammy
            If I could keep one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I could ease one life the aching or cool one pain; or lift a fainting robin unto it's nest again, I shall not live in vain. Emily Dickinson
            www.samanthafund.com

Comment

Pg

Call Prince George's County, that is why we have 19,000 stolen cars a year. They know we cant chase and they go right into DC.
              Pray for the best, Train for the worst

Comment

Originally posted by olay020
                Call Prince George's County, that is why we have 19,000 stolen cars a year. They know we cant chase and they go right into DC.
                Pretty much the same reason why Newark dumped or modified their pursuit policy. They were always in the top 3-5 in stolen cars but when that policy passed it shot up to #1 in no time.

Comment

We have a no pursue policy in Calgary. PM me I have the stuff on disk. I see the sense of the policy but it still sucks.
                  Now this is the Law of the Jungle -- as old and as true as the sky;
                  And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the Wolf that shall break it must die.
                  As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk the Law runneth forward and back --
                  For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.

Comment

Talk with any thugs on the street here and you will find out that we have a no pursuit policy. Common sense (term not usually associated with PD policies as opposed to liability) says that if you take away the ability to chase, all it does is encourage running from the police FOR ANYTHING. Robbery=run. Speeding=run. Farting=run.

The way I see it, make the fine/sentence so harsh for runners that if they do run ----- FELONY. Therefore, you are always chasing a fleeing felon (simplistic, but, hey, I am simple-minded). And it may (small letters - may) deter those people who are "just about to make a bad decision" from actually making a bad choice.

Plus, when we do chase after notifying 20 levels of supervisors with a notarized memo from the mayors office, we can only chase with 2!!!!!!!!!!!! units. Of course, it is nothing to see 20 cars show up at one time on a chase. Just don't get into an accident. You would be screwed. No unions here.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

Thanks for the responses all, this helps a bunch. To answer your question xray, we have currently implemented a restricted pursuit policy here, whereas we will pursue violent felonies only. So just a stolen vehicle = no pursuit, as it is a property crime. I work in our office of quality assurance, and brass wanted me to conduct a study of "no pursuit" policies.
                      Last edited by detgreg; 10-10-2005, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Welcome to our policy then. You will soon see no criminal will stop for anything. Its the dumbest thing ever done in police work. Hope it all works out.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5394 users online. 307 members and 5087 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X