300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you grip your gun?

Alright I know this sounds like an elementary question but I've found that many officers grip their gun differently. Even in my department where we all came from the same academy we have some differences. So, how exactly do you grip your gun? More specifically, your support hand.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Strong hand : beavertail/backstrap straight into the web of the strong-hand, handgun should align with your forearm. Keep thumb either extended towards muzzle/target (for GLOCKs, 1911's (over the safety), Beretta 92-series (under the slide-safety when shooting) etc.) or thumb down (generally in the case of a SIG so as not to impede slide-stop, or when shooting a revolver).

Weak/support hand : wrap place weak/support hand palm into the open space between the palm and fingers of strong-hand so that weak/support hand palm comes into as much contact of the open surface of the grip as possible. Wrap weak/support hand around and extend thumb towards to the muzzle/target.

How's that?

Comment

I grip mine so that the barrel points toward the target.

Comment

with my hands around the grip and hopefully the barrel toward my intended target when the bullet exits the barrel.LOL!!
        FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

grip? i thought they were for looks. you mean some of you actually touch your guns?

...i hold mine the same as ghostrider being sure that grip is 60% strong hand and 40% weak hand.
          What What?

Comment

I also do like Ghostrider. Align the bore with your forearm. And I also do what he said about the SIG, thumbs down. Otherwise, the slide may not lock back when the mag is empty.

Comment

Weak hand grip is a personal preference. I have been shooting tactical/combat for years and my stance and grip don't exactly fit into anything in any textbook. Do what works for you, if someone tells you that it is wrong and you are hitting black tell em to get bent.

The main schools of thought on weak hand grip are...

1) Cupped around the base of the grip with the thumbs aligned
              2) Fingers interlocked along the grip with thumbs aligned
              3) Either of the first two with thumbs aligned and weak hand index finger along the triger guard (similar to how your strong hand index would be when not shooting)

The first two are preferred methods as the last one is good for target shooting, but many people have a tendency to over-compensate with the index finger causing a low left counter-pull if right handed or a low right counter-pull if lefty.

If you are learning to shoot try them all and see what works for you.
              "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Last night I had a guy grip his with is toe...the rest of him was lying on the floor.

Comment

What?!?

Hey, gettin' kind personal ain't ya bub. How I hold my gun is my bussiness. Now my WEAPON, that's another matter. lol.
                  It's a great life. You risk your skin catchin' killers and the juries turn 'em loose so they can come back and shoot at ya again. If you're honest, you're poor your whole life, and in the end you wind up dyin' all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothin'. For a tin star.
                  -quote from "High Noon"

Comment

Originally posted by SigCop
                    Hey, gettin' kind personal ain't ya bub. How I hold my gun is my bussiness. Now my WEAPON, that's another matter. lol.
                    OK JARHEAD!
                    Kelly

We are the thin blue line
                    between you
                    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Comment

I knew this thread was a bad idea when I started it.
                      It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

Take a look at this positioning....street proven 94% hit rate. C.A.R. or Center Axis Relock...been training this way for a while....take a look at this link.

www.sabretactical.com

look at the videos...actually the site is being upgraded but check it in a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitMPD
                          Alright I know this sounds like an elementary question but I've found that many officers grip their gun differently. Even in my department where we all came from the same academy we have some differences. So, how exactly do you grip your gun? More specifically, your support hand.
                          I usally have my wife grip my gun for me.

Comment

I hold my gun on its side gansta style, that way the spent shells stay in the car on drive bys. J/K...I use the push pull, 60-40. I usually hold as high on the back as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by operator81
                              I hold my gun on its side gansta style, that way the spent shells stay in the car on drive bys. J/K...I use the push pull, 60-40. I usually hold as high on the back as possible.
                              I like it when my wife uses the push/pull as well.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5067 users online. 266 members and 4801 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X