Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Probation (Parole) Officers in the forum?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Probation (Parole) Officers in the forum?

Hello,

Great site. I've been checking in regularly for a while. Just wondering if there are any Probation Officers and or Parole Agents in the forum. I know in some states Probation Officers work for Dept. of Corrections. In California, we are county agencies. I'm very fortunate to work for a Northern California Probation Dept. that's fully armed, and has a strong working relationship with our S.O. and local PD's. We have Probation Officers assigned to county task forces and work daily with our brothers (warrants, searches, etc.) Just wondering what's going on in other jurisdictions?

Originally posted by jdlong
    Just wondering if there are any Probation Officers and or Parole Agents in the forum. I know in some states Probation Officers work for Dept. of Corrections. In California, we are county agencies.

Kentucky State Probation & Parole Officer. Work for the KY DOC, armed and have peace officer powers over probationers and parolees.
    "We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered." - Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead

Comment

Originally posted by KY PO
      Kentucky State Probation & Parole Officer. Work for the KY DOC, armed and have peace officer powers over probationers and parolees.
      Thanks for the response. Glad to hear they have the appropriate tools for the trade. We have full arrest powers here in California, probationer/parolee or not. I'm still amazed that some Probation Officers are making arrests and conducting searches unarmed, INSANE (usually not by choice...Top Brass ignorance to what we face in the field). Be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by texaschickeee
        probation I am not sure, but have never heard any probation officer state that they carry.
        thought you guys might find this interesting...it's from APPA, it tells you who is armed in probation and parole across the country.....

http://www.appa-net.org/information%...armssurvey.asp

if you cannot use the link, just go to www.appa-net.org and scroll down looking on the left side....
        "We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered." - Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead

Comment

thought you guys might find this interesting...it's from APPA, it tells you who is armed in probation and parole across the country.....

http://www.appa-net.org/information%...armssurvey.asp

if you cannot use the link, just go to www.appa-net.org and scroll down looking on the left side....
          Thanks for the link. Looks like it varies throughout the country. I'm amazed Probation Officers are out in the field unarmed. You couldn't pay me enough. Maybe they simply stay in the department, although, I'm armed there too. There is no safe place to make contact with our dirtbags. Felons and parolees, I've never met one that's predictable (particularly when you're about to make a Violation arrest that might send them prison). God bless those P.O.'s that are out searching and arresting unarmed. Insane.
          I hope they AT LEAST make their arrests with local S.O. or PD assistance.

Comment

Arizona Probation Officers work for the county under the juridiction of the state Superior Court in each county. They have peace officer status on duty, but have powers of arrest only over those they supervise. The can carry now, just got that in the last few years, but not all counties have implemented it yet.

Arizona Parole Officers are part of the Department of Corrections. They don't count as peace officers, but by statute they can arrest and return to custody offenders under supervision by the department. They have the option to carry a weapon, but must have a CCW to carry concealed.
            1*

Ten dash eight!

Comment

in washington we have DOC community custody officers..some are armed, some are not..in my department, we routinely go with the cco when he makes home checks and serves violation warrants on his "customers". That is actually one of the most fun parts of my week We have a great relationship with our cco. He even has given us his personal cell number so that when we see his "customers" we call him and let him know what they are up to. They really hate that....
              amateurs practice till they get it right...professionals practice until we cant get it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by tacleberry
                in washington we have DOC community custody officers..some are armed, some are not..in my department, we routinely go with the cco when he makes home checks and serves violation warrants on his "customers". That is actually one of the most fun parts of my week We have a great relationship with our cco. He even has given us his personal cell number so that when we see his "customers" we call him and let him know what they are up to. They really hate that....
                Cool. Glad to see you have a great relationship with your Probation Officers...or "Community Custody Officers". I'm surprised more agencies nationwide don't work closely with their Probation Departments. It works out great. We share intel...and my S.O. and PD brothers LICK THEIR CHOPS when they find out one of their suspects is on probation...it's nice making entry with no need for PC or a judge's signature!! Any time, any place, no "if", "ands", or "buts" about it!! You're right...our "customers" (a.k.a. Dirtbags) hate that!!

Our P.O.'s are also assigned to our Narc and Vehicle Theft task forces. I suppose California might be different in that we have full arrest powers and don't work for the Department of Corrections...and of course we're armed. INSANE not to be. Be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by jdlong
                  We share intel...and my S.O. and PD brothers LICK THEIR CHOPS when they find out one of their suspects is on probation...it's nice making entry with no need for PC or a judge's signature!!
                  That is a good way to get the PD or SO's evidence thrown out. The evidence could still be used for a revocation hearing more than likley, but probably suppressed for new charges. It's actually against our policy to search for police. I'd probably do it anyway...but I wouldn't take police with me for fear of ruining any chance of getting new charges. I would file new charges myself so the PD or SO didn't look like they were trying to get around a warrant.

Comment

That is a good way to get the PD or SO's evidence thrown out. The evidence could still be used for a revocation hearing more than likley, but probably suppressed for new charges. It's actually against our policy to search for police. I'd probably do it anyway...but I wouldn't take police with me for fear of ruining any chance of getting new charges. I would file new charges myself so the PD or SO didn't look like they were trying to get around a warrant.
                    Yeah, I suppose it's different in every state and every county. Here in California, every Judge runs his or her courtroom differently (our "Rules of Court" Code is customized by every judge!!)...and of course, every District Attorney files with different parameters. We've never had a problem with evidence for new charges collected in a Probation search being thrown out. My S.O. and P.D. brothers accompany me (us), if evidence is found for new charges, they collect it and write their paper. I go 10-15 with my Probationer and file a VOP back at the office. They handle the new charges, I handle my VOP. It's a double whammy...fresh charges and a VOP. In California, we're following the U.S. Supreme Court's opinion last Fall that "reasonable suspicion" for Probation or Parole searches IS NOT needed. In California, there was a question for about a year what we should do. There was a case pending that may have required reasonable suspicion. RIDICULOUS. If you're on probation or parole...YOU'VE LOST YOUR RIGHT TO ANY REASONABLE SUSPICION OR PC!! As a result, our evidence always sticks. Anyway, that's how we do it out here...don't tell anybody!!

Comment

Originally posted by jerkyg
                      I too work in Northern California. We are all designated as Deputy Probation Officers. But, work in different classes...group counselors (instititional deputies), probation counselors (ranch instituions), correctional officers, probation officers. Our county department is pretty much unarmed (insane) but, most carry off-duty.

We can only joke as to what the difference is between a 17 year old, norteno, double murderer who has to go to a doctors appoitment...and a 19 year old, petty theft inmate who has to go to the same doctor. The difference is that the juvenile deputy is unarmed on the transport and the adult correctional officer is armed. Thanks management for your concern for our safety.

Be safe.
                      I love you're not so funny comparison of the 187 Norteno vs. the 19 year old petty theft inmate! So true...so scary. You're right, thanks management!! Let me guess...you're issued O.C. and cuffs??? Maybe a vest??? Absolutely ridiculous!!

I work in our adult unit. Nothing but felons on my caseload. Many are on parole as well (or past parolees). I always ask the Law Enforcement question. How many patrol Deputies or P.D. Officers would be willing to work their shift unarmed?? How many NARC Task Force or Fugitive Apprehension Team Officers would make entry on a search or warrant service unarmed??? Obvious answer...NONE!! I'm thankful my Chief realizes what we do everyday.

Every home (I mean trailer) I enter is that of a convicted felon. We ALWAYS come across a few extra's we didn't expect as well...parolees coming out of the back rooms as we clear the house. Our "Officer Safety" risk is about as high as it gets.

Anyway, I feel for you brother. It really ****es me off. I hope you have a great partnership with your Sheriff's Office and local P.D.'s as we do. I hope they help you out in the field. We don't conduct our Probation searches or warrant services without our brothers with us. We're assigned to County task forces as well. It's a GREAT partnership.

Be safe!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3065 users online. 134 members and 2931 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X