300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where To Draw The Line

With all the looonnnnngggg threads about professional courtesy, I thought that I would start another.

Just where would you draw the line in citing or arresting a fellow officer? At what point on that scale of parking ticket to murder would you not be able to turn a blind eye?

I don't wish to start a south vs. north or old school vs. new; I just am very curious to see where different people draw that line.

victimless crimes.......that's all I am saying
    Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

Well Blue, you pretty much no where I stand on this issue from the other threads

But to summarize: I will never write another cop for any traffic infraction, unless the officer is involved in or causes a accident and puts me in a position where I have to take enforcement action. Even then I have some discretion!

Any criminal violations, (other than traffic) I will make an arrest on.

I hope to never be put in this situation though!

Everybody stay safe out there, and look out for each other!!
      Last edited by scooterlee; 09-27-2005, 08:51 PM.
      ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Comment

Thats a very good answer and I think that about covers it.

Originally posted by 6233108

Comment

Other than an action taken as a result of an agency investigation, any act that puts a fellow officer's job or physical safety in danger.

Comment

When they **** me off.
            Kelly

We are the thin blue line
            between you
            and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Comment

Originally posted by 6233108
              I was going to agree with you on this but about 5 minutes after posting I started to think about it more. I can't say that I totally agree. If I were to catch an officer doing meth I think I'd have to make an arrest.
              It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

I am not going to cite an officer.
                If he fails the attitude test or has done somethibg unforgivable, I will write a letter to his agency.
                This is going to be much worse than a cite.

Comment

Originally posted by marshaldan
                  I am not going to cite an officer.
                  If he fails the attitude test or has done somethibg unforgivable, I will write a letter to his agency.
                  This is going to be much worse than a cite.

I am with you. I wouldn't write another officer either and i have pulled over a small few that are A-holes. I did once contact a Union Rep on one guy who was over the top. The union rep spoke to his squad sgt, Still no paper. I feel that would be the ultimate insult and a little too personal.
                  retired, NOT retarded

Comment

From RabbitMPD
                    "If I were to catch an officer doing meth I think I'd have to make an arrest."

OK, now you see that is different. But all in all, if we don't look out for each other who will?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitMPD
                      I was going to agree with you on this but about 5 minutes after posting I started to think about it more. I can't say that I totally agree. If I were to catch an officer doing meth I think I'd have to make an arrest.

That's contraband my friend, Meth has never been legal to use or to have in possession. Weed, Meth, Coke are all contraband gotta do something.
                      Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

I give proffesional courtesy until it is to the point that it would question my personal integrity or get me in trouble...
                        Retired 02/01/13

Comment

I wouldn't screw with cops for anything that a President of the United States has ever gotten away with. I don't think we should be held to any higher standard than the head of the executive branch of our republic. The leader sets the standards.

Comment

Originally posted by 28Blue21
                            Just where would you draw the line in citing or arresting a fellow officer?
                            if there's a victim involved willing to sign a complaint, the officer gets hooked or cited. if there's no victim, he gets a pass. thats my rule.
                            "The American public will find it refreshing to see a Republican candidate, who's not a moralistic, sexually repressed, crusading hypocrite, who cruises airport men's rooms late at night."
                            William Shatner

Comment

Originally posted by 28Blue21
                              Just where would you draw the line in citing or arresting a fellow officer? At what point on that scale of parking ticket to murder would you not be able to turn a blind eye?
                              Causing an accident or something like that. People get to caught up in that speeding ticket crap, I mean, it's speeding...who gives a ****. But if you cause someone else to wreck their car because you drove them off the road...that's a heck of a lot different. Other than traffic related...you gotta do something if there is a victim, because no one has the right to infringe on someone elses rights. If the crime was drug related, then perhaps you could insist that the officer turn himself in within' so much time or you would turn them in. Most employers, these day, have to offer help if you ask for it. If they catch you on the other hand, you are screwed.
                              "We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered." - Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3965 users online. 251 members and 3714 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X