300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agency Shopping

Hey whats up Gents and ladies, I am agency shopping and will probaly be jumping ship within the next six to eight months...I am located in AZ..I was thinking about going to Phx PD, but then I thought about going to the West Valley of AZ to a 80 to 100 man dept that is growing like mad. I would just like to hear any opinions on this and anyone who has thought about the "bigger" vs the smaller and growing thing..The smaller agency is suppose to grow to 300 officers or more...

In my experience, the politics in smaller agencies can be unbearable, particularly if you are an outsider. Smaller agencies also seem to have an "everything is important" outlook that can be hard to deal with, especially if you came from a big department and are used to that type of policing.

For me, a large, metropolitan agency where the supervisors have better things to do than micromanage everything you do, is the way to go. In a small department, they have a lot more free time to nit pick. I'm not saying you can be totally slack in a big agency, but you don't have to worry about a sergeant breathing down your neck over everything you do, unless you're a real tool, in which case you probably shouldn't be in this line of work.

Just my 2 cents.
    Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Do a few more ride-alongs around here then decide.

Comment

Originally posted by AzInv
        Hey whats up Gents and ladies, I am agency shopping and will probaly be jumping ship within the next six to eight months...I am located in AZ..I was thinking about going to Phx PD, but then I thought about going to the West Valley of AZ to a 80 to 100 man dept that is growing like mad. I would just like to hear any opinions on this and anyone who has thought about the "bigger" vs the smaller and growing thing..The smaller agency is suppose to grow to 300 officers or more...
        I fully agree. there always seems to be a "HOT" topic of the day in my department. we have really gotten away from crime fighting so we can "please" the public. it is all politics. there are some serious s.hit holes in my city, but they get put on the back burner (if on a burner at all) so that we may concentrate on the hot topic from the "good" part of the city.

good part=where the chief lives

Comment

I was just hired by Scottsdale -- currently in the Academy -- and it seems like a very squared-away agency ... at least so far. Depends on where you live in the Valley, though. I put a lot of value on short commute times.
          d

Comment

I live in the East Valley and commute does mean alot right now, but its starting not too..I have been riding my motorcycle more and more to just places I wouldnt have before, so its actually fun....Scottsdale is a very good agency,,I know someone who works graves up North and is bored to tears though....South would probaly be cool...They have alot of cool details also......Good luck in ALEA....

Comment

Come to Alaska,we will treat you right and pay you right.

Yeah it's cold but 27 days of vacation means a lot of trips to Hawaii.

TGY
              Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Originally posted by AzInv
                I live in the East Valley and commute does mean alot right now, but its starting not too..I have been riding my motorcycle more and more to just places I wouldnt have before, so its actually fun....Scottsdale is a very good agency,,I know someone who works graves up North and is bored to tears though....South would probaly be cool...They have alot of cool details also......Good luck in ALEA....
                If he's working late in D3, yeah, not much action. They say it's a hot district on dayshift, though. D1 nights would be hot

Actually, they need so many officers, they've got five of us going through MCSO Academy right now. Starting our fifth week next week.
                d

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4637 users online. 269 members and 4368 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X