Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Active real-time audio mikes in cars - legal?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JHoek
    replied
    Originally posted by satpak77
    Is this legal? What happens when he gets a phone call from his wife, can the station now eavesdrop on his private conversations?
    why doesn't he just step out of the car for the conversation? Seems like it would be a lot easy than worrying about the department listenin to the call.

Nothing is private these days

Leave a comment:

• jricks
    replied
    I don't see how it would be done. Even wireless mics have a limited range and are subject to interference from any distance. It is more likely that they will have a recoding device in the car than being able to listen in from the station.
    As far as legal...yes. There is no expectation of privacy in property owned by the agency...hence they can cut your lock off of their locker in the locker room and search your locker any time..same as in the schools.

Leave a comment:

• PPDMO373
    replied
    That sounds like a PD with too much time on their hands.

I would never work for a place like that......

Leave a comment:

• Rally
    replied
    Sounds legal to me. Where is the expectation of privacy while you are in city/county property? That seems like a lot of money. What is the justification for the expense? Or did something occur for this to happen?

Leave a comment:

• satpak77
    started a topic Active real-time audio mikes in cars - legal?

Active real-time audio mikes in cars - legal?

A friend of mine from another department advised me today that his management wants to wire all the patrol cars with live, real-time, audio mics, which can be monitored back at station.

The cars already have some sort of GPS reporting now.

Is this legal? What happens when he gets a phone call from his wife, can the station now eavesdrop on his private conversations?

etc etc

thanks

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6285 users online. 351 members and 5934 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X