Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did things change??????

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • When did things change??????

    When did things change???? I seem to remember when 200-500 people would test at one time to become a cop (for 4 positions)...now it seems anyone can test at anytime......what gives.....??? Has the prestige and honor of being a cop vanished in today's society????? I remember it used to be privledge for just the opportunity to test...now they cant get enough qualified applicants...what gives.????
    What would Dirty Harry do in a situation like this???

  • #2
    I have applied at many departments and have found that some want robots who will not question policy or suporvisors. In this day and age, its about image. I see alot of officers patty caking with suspects and citizens. Law enforcement has taken a sharp turn from enforceing laws to covering your butt. I have told many of my friends that I got into police work 20yrs to late. When you were aloud to do your job without fear of suspension when a citizen says that you were rude to them. Some cops have opted to become instructors at police academies. Some have gone on to do other things related to public safety. Now departments have begun to struggle with applicants who have criminal records and history of drug abuse. These departments are getting applications from the very people who we were once supposed to arrest. Now we fear them because they say the "S" word. Citizens will always sue police departments. After all, we are making them do things they dont want to do, like obeying the law. Once administrators begin to remember this, maybe departments might see an increase of qualified applicants.

    Comment


    • #3
      Although I tend to agree that a wave of political correctness has swept through agencies across the country, I believe the defection of applicants is not due to the agencies, but due to the change of attitude amongst the 18-25 age group that are would be applicants.

      The change in disciplinary structure in the home and schools over the past 15 years has caused our youth to question authority more so than be willing to obey authority. The same difficulties that law enforcement is having in recruiting and retention are the same difficulties the military is having. The applicants that I tend to see don't want the structure that law enforcement requires, and want to constantly know "why" something is rather than just doing it.

      If, as FTO or as Chief, I tell an officer to do something, I expect it to be done, not asked why. If you want to ask why, I will tell you after the task is done.

      If I sound as an old fart, I am. I've been doing this for 20 years. When I was young, you feared the police. They were "the MAN". When you were fortunate enough to get a break when they caught you, you were thankful for the break. Today, kids expect to be given a break and don't appreciate anything.

      Sorry for the rambling, but that is what I think has caused of the lack of applicants and the retention problems.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DOGCHOW
        When did things change???? I seem to remember when 200-500 people would test at one time to become a cop (for 4 positions)...now it seems anyone can test at anytime......what gives.....??? Has the prestige and honor of being a cop vanished in today's society????? I remember it used to be privledge for just the opportunity to test...now they cant get enough qualified applicants...what gives.????
        Things sure as hell did not change in NJ, it's pretty hard here and it's a loooong process. (CS towns)

        Comment


        • #5
          Economy is good and private sector jobs are paying well. No cop job headaches etc. It goes in cycles. Our career is hot one year 5 yrs later hard to fill slots in some areas. Still most excellant turn out here.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dvsmnstr
            Things sure as hell did not change in NJ, it's pretty hard here and it's a loooong process. (CS towns)

            maybe its just a western states thing....sounds like back east people still undersatnd what it means to be a cop.......sad thing is, a lot of people here have seem to have forgotten the meaning of it.....
            What would Dirty Harry do in a situation like this???

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jricks
              Although I tend to agree that a wave of political correctness has swept through agencies across the country, I believe the defection of applicants is not due to the agencies, but due to the change of attitude amongst the 18-25 age group that are would be applicants.

              The change in disciplinary structure in the home and schools over the past 15 years has caused our youth to question authority more so than be willing to obey authority. The same difficulties that law enforcement is having in recruiting and retention are the same difficulties the military is having. The applicants that I tend to see don't want the structure that law enforcement requires, and want to constantly know "why" something is rather than just doing it.

              If, as FTO or as Chief, I tell an officer to do something, I expect it to be done, not asked why. If you want to ask why, I will tell you after the task is done.

              If I sound as an old fart, I am. I've been doing this for 20 years. When I was young, you feared the police. They were "the MAN". When you were fortunate enough to get a break when they caught you, you were thankful for the break. Today, kids expect to be given a break and don't appreciate anything.

              Sorry for the rambling, but that is what I think has caused of the lack of applicants and the retention problems.
              I started as a cadet and explorer 15 years ago and I was "raised" in the profession by guys like you...maybe that is why I am feeling this way...
              What would Dirty Harry do in a situation like this???

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Bodie
                Economy is good and private sector jobs are paying well. No cop job headaches etc. It goes in cycles. Our career is hot one year 5 yrs later hard to fill slots in some areas. Still most excellant turn out here.

                That's true...one thing we all know is you definately don't get into this job for the pay
                What would Dirty Harry do in a situation like this???

                Comment


                • #9
                  Back East you only have to know the Mayor or City Councilman to get hired and no matter how [email protected]@@ up you are, they will make a call and get you through the process. I work with some questionable people out here, but at my old agency back East I worked with some of the biggest piece of lazy Sh##s that you can imagine. All of who got the job and later got promoted or got special details because they knew the right people It this was a fairly large civil service agency in NJ. If you come out low on the list, know problem we will hire or promote enough guys just to get to you.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    All the agencies in my area are experiencing difficulties in recruiting. the "New Generation" seems to be more concerned about having fun and making money than to serve. This is not all, mind you, as can be evidenced by our soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan, but a great many.

                    Some of the ones we do get don't like to be told what to do, be it from me as a senior officer or from a supervisor, and seem to have a know it all attitude as soon as they get out of the academy. This used to take a couple of years, as we called them "two year wonders".

                    I think we will be in bad shape until Iraq winds down and we begin to get a pool of military folks who are used to a structured, military type enviornment, and serving for something greater than themselves.

                    Working in a city with a large college population, it seems to me most 18-22 year olds are more concerned about bong hits and anti-Bush demonstrations then stepping up and serving the country to try and make it better. If you are in this generation, try not to take this personally, I'm just calling it like I see it.

                    Of course, if you are in here, chances are you are in the minority in your generation and are actually interested in a "lowly" public service job.
                    Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

                    Ronald Reagan

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I know the type that many of you speak of. I am in college and many of the CJ students are, ummm, questionable. 3 CJ freshman got underage drinking tickets this school year already, and today is the first day of classes.

                      I guess I shouldn't complain though. I've never done drugs and only drank once 2 years ago and another time with my dad. With the only thing on my record being a minor traffic violation about a year and a half ago, I should be in a pretty good position to get a job in a year and a half when I am 21, considering the compotition.

                      Being 19, It will probably end up that it will be a hot job when I am ready for hire.
                      When a crime breaks out, all the cute girls shout
                      get the, good looking guy

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Bodie
                        Economy is good and private sector jobs are paying well. No cop job headaches etc. It goes in cycles. Our career is hot one year 5 yrs later hard to fill slots in some areas. Still most excellant turn out here.

                        Exactly. Who the heck wants to deal with the dredges of society and possibly get hurt doing it when you can do much better for yourself in the private sector?

                        With regards to today
                        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I say because everyone is liberal and this job isnt the way it used to be. Everyone is afraid of lawsuits and losing everything that they have worked for. People don't realize that although this job is different from lets say when Bodie started, (no offense ), but its still the same, you just have to come about things differently. Its all in how you write the paper.
                          "I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

                          "An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

                          Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

                          A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

                          Second City Cop

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Both of my parents are Officers, and so you can imagine the home I grew up in was fairly strict. And now that I'm an Officer aswell, I see how these kids that don't get discipline at home grow up. I just don't get it.

                            This countries become way to liberal with the way kids are raised. "Spare the rod, spoils the child" Been true since the dawn of time, still applies.

                            I do some things in the course of my shift that I would only do around a few of my close partners on my squad, because I know how many people at my station are there just to collect a check and not do real police work.

                            It may be that I'm still a rookie, but I'm not blind and can see who works, and who does the bare minimum.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by That Guy
                              Who the heck wants to deal with the dredges of society and possibly get hurt doing it when you can do much better for yourself in the private sector?
                              I sure don't! Oh crap, too late.....

                              Good post. From my eyes: the shift work, wierd hours, work on holidays/birthdays, dangerousness of the job, politics of the administration, dealing with "dredges of society", low pay/benefits compared to private sector, etc. all lead to the problem of where departments are recruiting college educated applicants who realize that it is not worth the negatives after receiving an education where more money and a normal lifestyle can be partaken in. Heck, it even makes me wonder...

                              K9

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5306 users online. 297 members and 5009 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X