Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on officers installing blue/red lights in their POV.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Florida law is a bit ambiguous on that but it would take a pretty hard case for me to even think about doing that. When Im in my POV I will, maybe, maybe, be a good witness.
    Everything else is a personal liability issue and why go down that slippery slope?
    If its a traffic accident and no one appears hurt, then Im like the others around me wanting to get outta there before the police arrive and block up all the traffic, including me.

Comment

Once the novelty of zipping through traffic with lights and sirens wears off, most full time POs could care less about that stuff when they're off duty.

There has never been an incident when the duty Sgt says, "Holy crap! Get those off duty guys to that scene now! We need help!" Then you put your little Starsky & Hutch light on top
      Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

I have been known to get involved in stuff while off-duty, but even I draw the line at frequenting Sirens-R-Us for my own vehicle.

I have had to have my patrol car at home because of being on-call during quiet hours, and have even offered to drop off my old patrol car and pick up the replacement car, after my boss gave me authority to have my wife and child along with me because I was doing same on a day off, but it is just too likely to get one in a deep pile of dung.

Off-duty should equal rest and relaxation, not wantin' to keep givin' 'er!

"Control, C401 - 10-33, member needs a life! Bring barbeques, steaks and lots of liquor! I am out of the car on 'ignore' 'til further notice!"
        #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
        Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
        RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
        Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
        "Smile" - no!

Comment

Originally posted by PeteBroccolo
          I have been known to get involved in stuff while off-duty, but even I draw the line at frequenting Sirens-R-Us for my own vehicle.

I have had to have my patrol car at home because of being on-call during quiet hours, and have even offered to drop off my old patrol car and pick up the replacement car, after my boss gave me authority to have my wife and child along with me because I was doing same on a day off, but it is just too likely to get one in a deep pile of dung.

Off-duty should equal rest and relaxation, not wantin' to keep givin' 'er!

"Control, C401 - 10-33, member needs a life! Bring barbeques, steaks and lots of liquor! I am out of the car on 'ignore' 'til further notice!"
          That's fine and dandy, but frequently the only back-up an officer has around these parts is their off duty brother...I've been called out for emergencies (officers need assistance) more times than I can keep count. Nobody gets take home cars except the chief.

Comment

Originally posted by Vtfuzz
            That's fine and dandy, but frequently the only back-up an officer has around these parts is their off duty brother...I've been called out for emergencies (officers need assistance) more times than I can keep count. Nobody gets take home cars except the chief.
            Well, that certainly makes sense then in your Agency's case, and for your own protection, I assume that your Chief and/or governing authority authorizes you and your fellow officers to be so equipped and respond in this manner. Hopefully my comments were not taken by you as a slap to your Agency and situation. My remarks were directed at women/men who do NOT HAVE TO respond while off duty, but CHOOSE to deal with matters that would be better handled if they were to merely act as good witnesses and use their cell phone to call the on-duty gals/guys.

My Force does not issue take-home vehicles, but certain Units do require our members to take vehicles home during "quiet" hours to provide immediate emergency response, but it is on a rotational basis and we share use of such vehicles.
            #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
            Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
            RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
            Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
            "Smile" - no!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2757 users online. 132 members and 2625 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X