Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions on officers installing blue/red lights in their POV.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on officers installing blue/red lights in their POV.

I've never though about doing this with my vehicle because when I'm in my civies I put my blinder's on. This subject had come up at my agency recently because one of our officers installed a blue light in his POV. Now nowhere does it say in the law that officers can specificaly do this, but it does exempt officers from the "Unlawful blue light" law. Also there is no place in our policies that say you cant do this.

I'm looking for opinions on this, how do you all feel?

Work for a dept that has take home cars...problem solved

I don't have/want/need po-po lights, gear, stickers or anything else in or on my POV...just my opinion.
    Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

You are not allowed here. You can have a portable in case you come up on an accident etc while driving etc. But no fixed mounted lights permitted.
      Department Rules

It's expensive and dumb anyway.

Comment

Ok, bearing that, lets say fixed mount or non-fixed lights are on an officers POV. Nothing says an officer can, nor does anything say an officer cannot put them in his/her vehicle. But, Florida law does exempt LEO's, thus bringing some to conclude that is allowable, how would you feel? Put yourself in Florida. Something dosn't feel right about it to me, but at the same time I think that its just a different vehicle than the officer drives at work and his powers of arrest are no different so is it really that bad. I can't seem to really take a side.

Comment

Our PD states that at no time may a personal vehicle be used as an emergency vehicle AT ANY TIME. After 5 years you can get a take home car if there is one available.

Comment

I think its weird.

Please do not do weirdo stuff.
            Only a dead fish floats with the current.

Comment

My dept at rank of detective or sergeant you get a take home car. Otherwise I wouldn't want anything on my POV that advertises me being a cop.
              Illegitimi non carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Comment

Trust me...you need to "turn it off" when you're off duty. I have a take home, and a 70-mile commute each way. Try getting home on a weekend, when you REALLY JUST WANT TO GET HOME, and there's weekend traffic, accidents and just a God-awful mess...and there you are in a marked cruiser. IT SUCKS.

You can't just blue-light in the BDL all the way to your driveway. You HAVE TO STOP and render assistance. Unless you're a licensed EMT or paramedic, there's nothing that says an off duty officer/first-responder has to render assistance to minor accidents, or if you see a good MV stop go past you...just leave it alone.

Hasn't this subject been discussed ad nauseum?
                Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

Originally posted by SinePari
                  Hasn't this subject been discussed ad nauseum?

Yes it has! Many of us think it's no problem, and have lights in our POV's just in case. Others are dead set against it and would never think of it. Just boils down to the law, policy, and personal preference.

Comment

Whatever officer is doing this or thinking about doing this, tell them to go out and immediately get a life. Buy one if they have too.
                    Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

I Really Think

It's for Officer's that can't get beyond the WANNABE stage or those that live their job way too much and don't have or can't seperate real life from the job.

Comment

Bad IDEA. Think about the potential liability that you bring upon yourself when your department will not stand behind you. I have a take home car and I am not covered by the city if I stop to assist other agencies on my way home. I also think that the lights in the POV are asking for trouble. Anyone that you place in your car will at risk. Finally it is weird. When I meet a fellow Officer and learn that he has gone through the time and expense to install lights in his POV, I get this "something's not right about this guy" feeling. Don't be the weird guy that the other cops talk about.

Comment

Wackers...

Comment

Bad idea, with big time personal liability issues.

Suppose that you haev these in your POV.. for whatever reason(I cant think of a good one) and you decide to go help someone, and you end up in an accident. Do you think that your department insurance is going to cover you, since you arent in a dept vehicle? Yeah, right. And your own insurance company wont foot the bill either, more than likely.

My house, and all my possessions just aint worth it. If the department wants me to work off duty they will give me a car. Mine does.. and I drive it sparingly off duty for that reason.
                            And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28

Comment

Originally posted by Vtfuzz
                              Yes it has! Many of us think it's no problem, and have lights in our POV's just in case. Others are dead set against it and would never think of it. Just boils down to the law, policy, and personal preference.

Huh? I think it boils down to one thing...liability. I'd be intersted if your insurance provider would protect you if your POV was involved in a collision and you had your blue light flashing.

And why??? Next thing people would want is a prisoner cage, shot gun rack, etc. If I see an accident, I'll pull over, render any first aid assistance, and use my portable radio to call for help.

If one of my co-workers decided to try to do this and put red or blue lights in his vehicle, I'd first slap him across the side of his head, stick a 'Wacker' sign on his back, and laugh at him as he drives his Hyundai POS with a blue light to some accident..... Please....just make it stop.....
                              Last edited by 1code12; 09-04-2005, 02:08 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6348 users online. 342 members and 6006 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X