300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offset vs. Angled MV Stops

I am currently going on week 9 of an academy for the VT State Police. We have been shown many videos of Troopers getting creamed on highways and am curious on how everyone feels on cruiser positioning. I know angled stops are primarily for increased cover (engine block) in case things go bad, but I am thinking I will make all my stops, whenever possible this way. Maybe even at such an angle where it would provoke traffic to move to the left lane? Highways in VT generally do not have heavy traffic and I think this might be a good idea. I know the other theory with angled stops is that if you make the angled stop and keep the wheels turned to the left, if rear ended, the cruiser would veer left.. although i have also heard this isn't true. Opinions? Experiences? Thanks!

It's all in how you feel comfortable. I prefer the offset positioning as I prefer all of my lighting to be visible...just my preference.

Comment

At night you will lose your take down lighting, as well as having to walk into traffic to get around the front corner of your car.

The car will go what direction the force that hits it is coming from...angling it out won't help because the tires won't maintain grip at impact.

I prefer the offset approach.
      Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

I try to place my patrol car with the center of the hood lined up with the left side of the susp veh. & my spotlight aimed at the interior rearview mirror. this creates an "alley" for me to approach the drivers side. If I'm on an interstate (rare since I'm a city cop) I'll go to the passenger side of the susp veh. The theory of using the engine block for protection it seems is only used here for known high-risk stops. Driving CV's here I'm more worried about being blown-up than shot. Besides,m it not the vehs you see you have to worry about, it's the one you never see

Comment

Originally posted by rpd1794
          At night you will lose your take down lighting, as well as having to walk into traffic to get around the front corner of your car.

The car will go what direction the force that hits it is coming from...angling it out won't help because the tires won't maintain grip at impact.

I prefer the offset approach.
          Good point... I will practice both during scenerio training and see which I feel more comfortable with. Thanks for the info everyone!

Comment

It's great to have enough BDL to do that...sometimes you won't. Just remember, never-never-never turn your back on traffic.
            Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

Another thing to remember, use up all the road you need to be safe, don't be afraid to make passing traffic change lanes or go wide around you. This is true for either the offset or angled method.

Comment

Also, the angled method exposes you driver's door to oncoming traffic. If I'm sitting in my car writing a ticket I'd rather get rear-ended that hit in my door.
                Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

Don't forget...YOU control the stop, not the violator. YOU pick and choose the best place to stop someone. You're going to know your patrol area better than those drivers, so pick your favorite places that will be beneficial for you to effect a safe traffic stop.

Don't pounce on someone as soon as they commit a violation. Be patient, get along side of them towards the rear and scan them until you get to your spot, then light 'em up.
                  Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

Angled is best.

You can open your door slightly so you can get out quickly if the violator steps out. I like keeping my door open so I can open it with my knee if nescessary.

You can run over the violator if you are angled and you have your wheels turned.

If your car gets hits from the back the impact isnt as severe because its not a direct hit. I know from my experience.

Comment

I drive a CV and angle my patrol vehicle on all stops. Like Hemi said, the gas tank issue is a huge concern driving the CVs.

If your car is angled and the suspect decides he is going to punch the car in reverse in an attempt to disable your patrol vehicle there is less of a chance it will be disabled.

I position the spot light in the rear view of the suspect vehicle. I walk behind my patrol vehicle and to the passenger side of the suspect vehicle. One, (at night) so I dont offer the driver a silhouette of myself approaching the car. Two, I never walk between the patrol vehicle and the suspect vehicle b/c I'd like to keep my legs.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4723 users online. 319 members and 4404 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X