• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash
    replied
    - Lots of Socks
    - Lots of Shirts
    - Bandaids/Bandage wrap with butterfly stitches (no hospitals)
    - Asprine/Stomach medicine (Basic Boat Medicines)
    - Clean Towels and Toilet Paper
    - CAMEL PAK
    - C A M E L P A K
    - Several Gallons of fresh water to brush teeth, rinse, wash hands.
    - Hand sanitizer
    - HAT. LARGE HAT. Preferably a Boonie.
    - Plastic bags to tie around your non-water proof boots..
    - Bug spray. The illegal kind.
    - Sleeping bag.
    - Flash Light with batteries.

South florida, we have lots of practice with this hurricane stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Rex
    replied
    We received an email today asking for volunteers to go. Nothing is set in stone yet but it looks like it may happen. To my wife's dismay I threw my name in the hat. I cannot sit on the sidelines for this one if I have the chance to help our southern brothers and sisters out.....

Leave a comment:

• Larry's Angel
    replied
    Originally posted by carriedevorah
    The Getty kid next to me at the White House the other day was going down. Totally green I told him to take with
    1) lemons (lots) cut them into the water for extra natural nutrition. The commercial stuff has too much salt in it and makes you thirsty
    2) baby wipes to wipe down considering lack of water.
    3) lots of disposable face masks to mitigate the death and disease that is pervasive and going
    4) 911 my PD was lost without the electronics they rely on. The Disneyland approach (we do with our kids)- pick a meeting place, and a check in time there you hold to rendevous at
    5) your're not going to be getting the nutrition provided to you there as you do here. Take as much nonperishable with you. Along with baggies for storage into single snack/meal size.
    6) there are snakes there in the water. I have no clue as to what is poisonous or not but check with the PD down there and carry whatever meds you need with you as are out of everything.....
    And just be safe.... you have families too.

I'm on stand-by to go to Mississippi for recovery efforts... any other suggestions as to what to take... one thing that wasn't on the list was ASPIRIN... lots and lots of aspirin.

Leave a comment:

• carriedevorah
    replied
    What to take with

The Getty kid next to me at the White House the other day was going down. Totally green I told him to take with
    1) lemons (lots) cut them into the water for extra natural nutrition. The commercial stuff has too much salt in it and makes you thirsty
    2) baby wipes to wipe down considering lack of water.
    3) lots of disposable face masks to mitigate the death and disease that is pervasive and going
    4) 911 my PD was lost without the electronics they rely on. The Disneyland approach (we do with our kids)- pick a meeting place, and a check in time there you hold to rendevous at
    5) your're not going to be getting the nutrition provided to you there as you do here. Take as much nonperishable with you. Along with baggies for storage into single snack/meal size.
    6) there are snakes there in the water. I have no clue as to what is poisonous or not but check with the PD down there and carry whatever meds you need with you as are out of everything.....
    And just be safe.... you have families too.

Leave a comment:

• carriedevorah
    replied
    DART TEAM MEMBER's Notes from New Orleans are called in and posted, read/link

Vancouver's Urban Search and Rescue Team, deployed August 31 to Louisiana
    is one of many departments working with the Louisiana State Troopers and
    the US National Guard, assisting in the search and rescue efforts in areas
    of the state ravaged by Hurricane Katrina. Brian Inglis, Manager of the
    City's Urban Search and Rescue Team, is calling in reports on the
    situation and experiences of the team as often as possible during the
    team's deployment.

Brian writes:
    September 1: Kenner, LA (10 am PDT)
    "There is virtually no communications here. We're using the MCI truck
    that's been set up, and using their satellite communications network. Even
    our own satellite phones aren't working here right now.

"We've been attached to the Louisiana State Troopers, and we also have the
    National Guard assisting us. Unfortunately, from time we were given orders
    to move from Lafayette at 4:30 a.m. this morning up here, the lid has
    blown off this place. There's a lot of gun fire, a number of hostage
    situations right down the street. So, all search and rescue has been
    halted in this area for now. We will not be performing any search and
    rescue operations for at least the next 8-12 hours.

"It's far too dangerous for even the state troopers and police to wander
    out. It's absolutely crazy, the devastation is unreal -- the gunfire, the
    shooting, the looting is like something you see in a movie.

"We're sitting tight here. It's hotter than blazes. It was 96

Leave a comment:

• carriedevorah
    replied
    Nick from WIFOP just sent me this with specifics on to do's for New Orleans

Subject: Re: AID REQUEST
    Date: Fri, September 2, 2005 4:38 pm
    To: [email protected]
    Priority: Normal
    Options: View Full Header | View Printable Version

F.O.P. to Send Relief to Officers in New Orleans
    Chuck Canterbury, National President of the Fraternal Order of Police, announced
    today that the F.O.P. would be coordinating with Louisiana law enforcement officials
    to provide volunteer officers to the New Orleans area in relief of their brother and
    sister officers, who have been working ceaselessly since Hurricane Katrina struck
    the Gulf coast last week.

?All of us have seen the pictures of devastation along the Gulf Coast, and our
    hearts and prayers go out to those families--especially to the people of New
    Orleans, which so recently hosted our National Biennial Conference,? Canterbury
    said. ?Like all Americans, we want to help, and we plan to do so by getting
    additional officers down to the affected areas.?

In response to a request by Greg Champagne, Sheriff of St. Charles Parish, as well
    as F.O.P. National Secretary and active St. Charles Parish Deputy Sheriff Patrick
    Yoes, the F.O.P. will help to direct law enforcement officers willing to volunteer
    their time in New Orleans in order to assist the officers there. St. Charles Parish
    will serve as a staging area for these volunteer officers, and their deployment will
    be coordinated by law enforcement leaders in the affected areas.

?The law enforcement officers in New Orleans and other areas started working when
    Hurricane Katrina was still out in the Gulf of Mexico,? Canterbury said. ?They
    helped to evacuate the citizens before landfall, have been working to find and
    rescue those left or trapped in the storm?s aftermath, and now are turning their
    attention to restoring order to the city so recovery can begin in earnest.?

Working with Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-TN), Speaker of the House J.
    Dennis Hastert (R-IL), and Terrance W. Gainer, F.O.P. member and the Chief of the
    U.S. Capitol Police (USCP), a contingent of USCP officers will be among those
    dispatched to St. Charles Parish in the next few days.

?We are grateful to the Fraternal Order of Police for organizing this critical
    effort to help enhance the security, safety and recovery of the victims of Hurricane
    Katrina,? Senator Frist said. ?We are proud to dispatch our Capitol Police to
    participate.?

In addition, the District of Columbia Jerrard F. Young Memorial F.O.P. Lodge #1, has
    dispatched its mobile kitchen unit to the area to help get food and water to those
    who need it.

?I am proud of the officers in all the affected areas. An incident of this
    magnitude means that they are going without sleep and are unable to be with their
    own families as they strive to save the lives of others,? Canterbury said. ?When a
    citizen calls for help, an officer will respond. Our officers have called for help
    now, and we will not let them down.?

Canterbury stated that law enforcement agencies wanting to send additional officers
    to help should contact the St. Charles Parish Sheriff?s Office directly.

The Fraternal Order of Police is the largest law enforcement labor organization in
    the United States, with more than 321,000 members.

Subject: Shelter for Cops Families
    Date: Sep 01, 3:10 pm
    Poster: Brent Jex
    If any cops affected by the hurricane need to house their families, The West Jordan
    lodge in Utah will house as many cop's families for whatever period of time is
    needed.

Subject: Re: Shelter for Cops Families
    Date: Sep 02, 8:38 am
    Poster: David Davis
    Same goes for Connecticut. If any cops affected by the hurricane need to house their
    families, The New Haven County Lodge in Connecticut will house as many cop's
    families for whatever period of time is needed.
    Subject: Re: Shelter for Cops Families
    Date: Sep 02, 8:46 am
    Poster: Chuck Canterbury
    The National FOP is keeping a log on these type's of offers and if the need arises
    and upon request we will act as a clearinghouse to get these members assistance.

Date: Fri, September 2, 2005 10:23 am
    To: [email protected]

Hurricane Relief Update

The National Fraternal Order of Police is coordinating our relief efforts on two
    fronts.

Funding:

Lodges, Members and the General Public are being requested to send money to the FOP
    Foundation, which is a 501 C3 charitable entity, which will be responsible for
    distributing funds on a needs assessment basis. There are hundreds if not thousands
    of members who have been displaced.

Personnel
    Active Duty Police officers are needed to assist local officers.

Officers will be performing law enforcement duties to include, Patrol, Corrections,
    and Security, standing posts and just about anything in the gambit of law
    enforcement.

Officers who can respond to the New Orleans Area are asked to report to the St.
    Charles Parish Sheriffs Office who will be responsible for establishing a shelter
    for law enforcement volunteers.

Officers who respond should follow the following instructions:

Officers will need to bypass New Orleans and enter St. Charles Parish via Interstate
    55. Officers should report to Destrehan High School in St. Charles Parish. All
    sheriffs

Leave a comment:

• fortisi876
    replied
    11 officers will be heading down Sunday or Monday from my agency in conjunction with the NJSP for 2 week assignment. Every little bit counts ppl!

Leave a comment:

• Tim Dees
    replied
    Originally posted by haus409
    I don't understand how they can expect volunteers to be "Self contained" with food and water. Someone *could* take enough food and water for themselves for a week or two, but are they expected to stockpile it for themselves? With all of the shortages, I couldn't keep 20 gallons of drinking water to myself when there are children who need it more than I would.
    In this kind of situation, water is like the battle dressing that soldiers (in my era, at least) carried on the shoulder strap of their web gear. If you attended to a wounded buddy, you didn't use your battle dressing - you used his. If you run out of water, you're no good to anyone, and you're just someone else that has to be rescued. In fact, you're more of a problem, because as you get increasingly debilitated, you will be less capable of protecting your weapon against an assault.

The re-supply situation is getting better, and will continue to improve. Military water purification units will start getting on site very soon, and Navy ships that can produce lots of fresh water will be offshore in a few days. I think that anyone that went down there with a few cases of bottled water and five days' worth of nonperishable food would be all right until they could be resupplied.

But it's going to be tough getting agencies to cut loose wiith both a vehicle and a cop (probably two cops - I think I'd want to maximize the payload) for an undetermined amount of time. Very few outfits can affford that kind of largesse.

Leave a comment:

• SO535
    replied
    Originally posted by pkagel
    Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to take some water sanitization equipment down there so you could make as much water as you need??
    Sure, great idea. I will go down to supply and get one.

On a more serious note, This is what needs to be done. But the only people i know who have these is the military and maybe FEMA.

Leave a comment:

• Dash
    replied
    I'll see ya'll there.

Leave a comment:

• pkagel
    replied
    Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to take some water sanitization equipment down there so you could make as much water as you need??

Leave a comment:

• haus409
    replied
    There is no way my Chief would sign off on that. I definitely wouldn't be able to take a patrol car down there, especially with the unavailability of fuel. Hell, it would take at least two tanks to get there and two tanks back, and then whatever I would use while I was there.

I don't understand how they can expect volunteers to be "Self contained" with food and water. Someone *could* take enough food and water for themselves for a week or two, but are they expected to stockpile it for themselves? With all of the shortages, I couldn't keep 20 gallons of drinking water to myself when there are children who need it more than I would.

Leave a comment:

• Tim Dees
    replied
    Originally posted by haus409
    I'm with ya. I was talking about this with an Officer from a neighboring city last night. I wish I could go. But, in my small department the most I could hope for in ways of help from my city would be them allowing me to use my vacation time, and once I got down there I wouldn't know where to go or if I would be allowed to act in Police capacity.
    Check out the page here for information on how you can help.

Leave a comment:

• haus409
    replied
    Originally posted by NPD21
    please let us know if anyone hears how we can help. I am a little hesitant to just pack up and head down there, not knowing if they will even accept our help.
    I'm with ya. I was talking about this with an Officer from a neighboring city last night. I wish I could go. But, in my small department the most I could hope for in ways of help from my city would be them allowing me to use my vacation time, and once I got down there I wouldn't know where to go or if I would be allowed to act in Police capacity.

I've been thinking about contacting the Red Cross and either becoming a volunteer for them or getting their suggestions on how I could help as an Officer in the future.

Leave a comment:

• NPD21
    replied
    please let us know if anyone hears how we can help. I am a little hesitant to just pack up and head down there, not knowing if they will even accept our help.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5593 users online. 376 members and 5217 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X