300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for the NOPD and others..

After 9/11, police from all across the counrty slowly started towards NY to help NYPD with the massive undertaking of cleaning up.

Police have been shot, guns stolen from Wal-Mart, rescue choppers shot at. Buses to evacuate people from the Superdome wouldn't go in for the simple fact that therer was no type of law enforcement to keep them safe.

Does anyone forsee the request for out of state officers to go down and help out?

It seems to me that people will soon realize that a cop could be killed and nobody around would give two s****s about it. That worries me.

By the way, the two NOPD gals looting from the Wal-Mart hacked me off to no end. Then the one gal says, "We're just doin' our jobs here." Once all is said and done with, someone needs to take their badges.
    In this buisness, you can't fight the junkyard dogs with ASPCA rules.

I don't think they should wait to take their badges. Take them now.

I don't see why they couldn't send a few officers from all the departments around the country. They could just deputize them as NOPD and give them a radio as everything else they need they can take with them.

Originally posted by will3516
    Once all is said and done with, someone needs to take their badges.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Local Sheriff's Departments Are Headed To Help In Relief Efforts
      Aug 31, 2005, 07:49 PM Email to a Friend Printer Friendly Version

The National Sheriff's Association is calling on Sheriffs around the country to help in relief efforts and many in Indiana are stepping up to the plate.

Law enforcement officers from the county level to the state level are gearing up to head into damaged areas.

The Governor's office is being quiet about its plans right now but News 8 has learned that it hopes to send state troopers and several other state agencies to hurricane ravaged areas. Meantime several sheriffs departments are already packing their bags.

Their entire lives are now tucked away in small bags, shopping carts or Under water. Most everyone is struggling to salvage what little they can following hurricane Katrina but just about every area is abound with looters.

"As we watch television one of the Sheriff's said what you see on television is only half of how bad it is," Sheriff Kim Cronk with the Henry County Sheriff's department told News 8.

Sheriff Cronk along with swat members and paramedics will head into Louisiana to help keep the peace.

"According to the Colonel I just talked to we'll be in Harvey, Louisiana assigned to the streets. And they indicated it is so bad that police officers have been arrested for stealing cars trying to flee the streets," Sheriff Cronk explained.

Of course they'll be taking supplies with them. Cases of water are piling up at the Henry County Sheriff's Department along with boxes of food and bags of toiletries. The common household items you most likely use every day are now critical in hurricane ravaged areas.

Aside from the usual food and water donations people are asking for children's supplies like diapers there's also a desperate need for shoes.

"It effects us as police officers in the heart as how we can help people and we want to go help the best we can," Sheriff Cronk said.

The Henry County Sheriff's Department has two semi trucks awaiting donations. You can drop donations off at the Sheriff's Department. The Putnam County Sheriff's Department is planning a trip at the end of the week.
      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Last night I got a call from my Commanding Officer in my reserve unit to standby to standby Looks like I will be deploying there within the next few weeks...No Bourbon Street, Gumbo or dancing girls this time But will be proud to lend a hand and do what I can, just like I did on 9/11

Comment

let me know

If any one from ILL or IND is going let me know and I'll contact my bunch

Comment

I'd go in a heartbeat, but so far no one has even mentioned it at our department.
            Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

please let us know if anyone hears how we can help. I am a little hesitant to just pack up and head down there, not knowing if they will even accept our help.
              Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by NPD21
                please let us know if anyone hears how we can help. I am a little hesitant to just pack up and head down there, not knowing if they will even accept our help.
                I'm with ya. I was talking about this with an Officer from a neighboring city last night. I wish I could go. But, in my small department the most I could hope for in ways of help from my city would be them allowing me to use my vacation time, and once I got down there I wouldn't know where to go or if I would be allowed to act in Police capacity.

I've been thinking about contacting the Red Cross and either becoming a volunteer for them or getting their suggestions on how I could help as an Officer in the future.
                "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

Originally posted by haus409
                  I'm with ya. I was talking about this with an Officer from a neighboring city last night. I wish I could go. But, in my small department the most I could hope for in ways of help from my city would be them allowing me to use my vacation time, and once I got down there I wouldn't know where to go or if I would be allowed to act in Police capacity.
                  Check out the page here for information on how you can help.
                  Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

There is no way my Chief would sign off on that. I definitely wouldn't be able to take a patrol car down there, especially with the unavailability of fuel. Hell, it would take at least two tanks to get there and two tanks back, and then whatever I would use while I was there.

I don't understand how they can expect volunteers to be "Self contained" with food and water. Someone *could* take enough food and water for themselves for a week or two, but are they expected to stockpile it for themselves? With all of the shortages, I couldn't keep 20 gallons of drinking water to myself when there are children who need it more than I would.
                    "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to take some water sanitization equipment down there so you could make as much water as you need??

Comment

I'll see ya'll there.

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
                          Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to take some water sanitization equipment down there so you could make as much water as you need??
                          Sure, great idea. I will go down to supply and get one.

On a more serious note, This is what needs to be done. But the only people i know who have these is the military and maybe FEMA.

Comment

Originally posted by haus409
                            I don't understand how they can expect volunteers to be "Self contained" with food and water. Someone *could* take enough food and water for themselves for a week or two, but are they expected to stockpile it for themselves? With all of the shortages, I couldn't keep 20 gallons of drinking water to myself when there are children who need it more than I would.
                            In this kind of situation, water is like the battle dressing that soldiers (in my era, at least) carried on the shoulder strap of their web gear. If you attended to a wounded buddy, you didn't use your battle dressing - you used his. If you run out of water, you're no good to anyone, and you're just someone else that has to be rescued. In fact, you're more of a problem, because as you get increasingly debilitated, you will be less capable of protecting your weapon against an assault.

The re-supply situation is getting better, and will continue to improve. Military water purification units will start getting on site very soon, and Navy ships that can produce lots of fresh water will be offshore in a few days. I think that anyone that went down there with a few cases of bottled water and five days' worth of nonperishable food would be all right until they could be resupplied.

But it's going to be tough getting agencies to cut loose wiith both a vehicle and a cop (probably two cops - I think I'd want to maximize the payload) for an undetermined amount of time. Very few outfits can affford that kind of largesse.
                            Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

11 officers will be heading down Sunday or Monday from my agency in conjunction with the NJSP for 2 week assignment. Every little bit counts ppl!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2598 users online. 142 members and 2456 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X