Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expensive Gas = Lower Police Readiness?

I would like to take an informal survey of officers here to find out if your agencies have made significant changes to policies and protocols due to the rising cost of gasoline.

My agency (which shall remain anonymous) has recently revoked take-home car priviledges for members of certain specialty units residing outside of the jurisdiction. Just another way in which the government here passes increasing costs onto the officer, simultaneously sacrificing quality of police service. Oddly enough, many government employees who do not have public safety responsibilities continue to commute from abroad at taxpayer expense.

Not here yet

Back in late 70's we had to patrol 45 minutes then sit 15 to save gas.
    I know of some small cash strapped town that sent officers out and they had to just park with car shut off until they got a call or witnessed a traffic violation.

Comment

They haven't said a thing about it to us, which is surprising. There was a story on the news about our "gas guzzling" Crown Vics, but that didn't prompt any cries from the palace about cutting back on driving.

We have very few take home vehicles, in fact the only patrolman that have them reside within the city limits. The majority of our cars run 24-7. We were trying to convince the powers that be that take home vehicles for officers living within 25 miles would save the city money in the long run, but the gas prices have probably closed the door on that idea, at least for now.
      Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by rpd1794
        We were trying to convince the powers that be that take home vehicles for officers living within 25 miles would save the city money in the long run, but the gas prices have probably closed the door on that idea, at least for now.
        This could be helpful to the city besides $$. Many guys who didn't drive them off duty are begenning to to save themselves money. Means more peeps on the beat.
        We haven't herd a sound from the city hear and we leave ours running a lot in the winter.

TGY
        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

I think we should be dispatched like a fire department. We should hang around HQ, train, cook, sleep, and when a call comes in, we take care of business and return. That should save gas.

Patrolling only wastes gas. Why go after a traffic law violator when there is a buck to save in gas. Why patrol a crime filled neighborhood when gas is so expensive.

What do you think about the fire department like dispatch theory of saving gas?

Sammy
          If I could keep one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I could ease one life the aching or cool one pain; or lift a fainting robin unto it's nest again, I shall not live in vain. Emily Dickinson
          www.samanthafund.com

Comment

My PD just "encourages" (if you know what I mean) those who are also Bike Officers to start riding!!!!!

Comment

I like the dispatch idea.

My department hasen't said a peep yet but I wouldn't be surprised if they do in the near future.
              It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

I like the dispatch idea also! However I can't cook . Anyway, my agency does something like an above post mentioned...sit with the car off for a specific amount of time. I haven't been on long enough to experience it, but some of the old guys talk about having to sit 2 30 min. periods throughout the shift. I guess that was when gas and money were REALLY tight!! I can't believe it would have to come to that. I saw gas today up to almost 3 bucks!!People complain that all we do is sit around anyway, now we are going to be ordered to do it!!!!
                "...I'd never let you down, even if I could. I'd give up everything if only for your good..." 3 Doors Down

"Strength is when your body gives out and your heart and your mind take over"

Comment

My agency sets up a contract (I don't remember if it is for six months or one year) with the lowest bid gas wholesaler. Our price per gallon remains the same during the life of that contract. If we get a good, low bid price but later prices go up, we are protected by the locked in price. OTOH, if the contract is bid during a high price period and prices later go down, we must still pay the high price for the life of the contract. In the long run it all evens out.
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

actually got the memo *yesterday*, pre-storm frenzy. Have spent like eighty percent of fuel budget already.

Chief is not gonna put a 'mileage cap' on patrol, but is recommending things like stationary radar and directed patrol. Just making folks 'aware' of being frugal, not actually demanding it.

Comment

I havent heaard anything yet about a mileage per shift cap. Matter of fact we are encouraged to drive and drive to be visible, regular shift might be 75-80 miles. I do get bored though and have to sit somehwere 'monitoring' traffic still being visible,. I guess thats just good po po work in general. We get gas at the end of each shift and its about 6-7 gallons at a time. We could double guys up, we are all 1 man units.
                      I got nothing for now

Comment

A neighboring town doubled up their cars a few months back. The only thing our chief has told us in the past few days is to not leave cars running while out of the car. Then again, I have been off the past day and a half. When I left gas was still "Cheap" at about $2.60. Now its $2.99 and headed up from the sounds of it.
                        "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

We have been told to check our zone, and park the car for couple of hours, then at 0200, double up, and park. We are to be reactive.

Comment

At my dept. Our chief made it mandatory , if you are gonna park, shut the car off. All bike patrol officers are now riding and there is no special details where cars are involved.

Comment

Originally posted by MPD-A9
                              We have been told to check our zone, and park the car for couple of hours, then at 0200, double up, and park. We are to be reactive.
                              That is complete bull****. No offense to your department but if my department told me to be reactive I'd seriously consider finding a new place to work.
                              It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3144 users online. 169 members and 2975 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X