300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back-up Guns not authorized.

My Dept. will not allow the carry of any back up gun. We are advised that it is just an additional liability. Is this common?

Not at all, My department encourages the carrying of a back up gun. They have a short class in the academy carrying and use of it. I also know of several departments in my area who authorise it.

Comment

Our department does not allow back up guns. Heck, we don't even get issued an ASP, although we can purchase one and write a memo for permission to carry it on the utility belt.

Comment

Most Canadian Law Enforcement Agencies that DO authorize their members that are appointed as Peace Officers to be armed do NOT allow them to carry any firearms other than the sidearm that the Agency issues to them. This includes Regular Members of the RCMP, who could face charges under The RCMP Act for violating this policy.
        #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
        Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
        RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
        Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
        "Smile" - no!

Comment

WOW!!!!!!

That makes no sense at all. What if your gun malfunctions in the middle of a shootout, or if someone goes for your gun and you cap it in place, what are you going to use to take the guy out?

The bean-counters at your department didn't didn't take that into account I guess.

Comment

We are permitted to carry a back up, but you are required to have the weapon approved by the firearms LT as well as the method of carry. After it is approved you are required to shoot the same course of fire with it that you would with your duty weapon from whatever carry method you use. I carry a five round snubby in an ankle rig and a glcok 33 in .357 sig on the vest (alternate).

Needless to say that shooting a course of fire that was designed for a full size or compact auto with a nine+ round capacity and a duty holster is not exactly easy with a five round snubby in a snapped ankle rig, but it is possible.

Liability is not really an issue when high standards are implemented for carry and qualification.

Rather be tried by twelve than carried by six.
            "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I can't believe any department doesn't allow 2nd weapons. Even my dept. does, and we're as backwards as they come on that type of thing. Last in metro Atlanta to switch to semi-autos, last to get OC, last to get rid of wooden nightsticks. Don't even think about carrying a rifle or a taser.

Comment

We're allowed one backup pistol and can qualify with personally owned carbines for patrol as well.

Comment

We are allowed 2 additional weapons. They must be DA or DAO and above .38 cal. You have to register them and qualify with them doing the same course as the issue weapon. Whats really weird is that you have to carry them concealed as, if you are in uniform whether A, B or C, you have to have your issue weapon/belt/cuffs/etc. If you are "off duty" and "out of uniform" then you are "certified" to carry the other qualified weapons but you cannot carry them openly. Open carry is only in uniform and therefore has to be all issue issue. Hmmmmmmm....most of us therefore have CWP licenses for whatever you want to carry off duty and the sanctioned/qualified ones are used as backups. That seems to satisfy the rules.

Comment

That's awful; every officer should have a backup.

I'd carry a backup anyway if I were you. If you don't need it, no one will ever know. If you do need it, no one will care.

Comment

I am quite suprised that any agency would not allow their officers to carry backup weapons. I work for a small agency and we are mandated by policy that we must carry a back up and must carry off duty. We are allowed to carry anything that is approved by the Sheriff, even if it consists of multiple firearms, ,knives, etc.

Comment

Reason for Editing.
                        Last edited by lazycop; 02-15-2010, 05:32 PM.
                        Work smarter not harder!

Comment

No backups here at all
                          Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by lazycop
                            No backups allowed here. We are just waiting for someone to use an unauthorized weapon in a shooting and see how it goes.
                            Well, if you use a backup during an actual incident, that means you needed it. If you needed it, that means you were probably about to die.

It's better to be alive and unemployed in my book.

Comment

you want my opinion? Don't work for a place that will threaten your life like that.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6552 users online. 357 members and 6195 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X