• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He must have been herding them...

Rocks Thrown at Border Patrol Chopper
    Aug 25 3:31 PM US/Eastern

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/08/25/D8C71P6O0.html
    YUMA, Ariz.

Illegal immigrants threw rocks at a Border Patrol helicopter, forcing the pilot to make an emergency landing when one of the rocks damaged the rotor, the agency said.

Neither the pilot nor the Border Patrol observer was injured.

The A-Star helicopter was two miles west of the U.S. Port of Entry in Andrade, Calif., on Tuesday when a group of immigrants began throwing rocks at the aircraft.

One baseball-sized rock gashed the rotor, forcing the pilot to land nearby, said Michael Gramley, spokesman for the Border Patrol sector based in Yuma, Ariz.

Gramley said he did not know how high the helicopter was hovering when it was struck, but he said it was being repaired and is expected back in service soon.

After the incident, 17 people were apprehended for illegally crossing the border, and two of them were being investigated for smuggling. Ten immigrants evaded capture.

The investigation into the rock-throwing was continuing.
    Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

This crap has gotta stop....I really really wish that bush would deploy about 20,000 troops along the border to assist the border patorl with deterance and apprehension ...Not only are these illegals a security risk but they are destroying our economy

Comment

Originally posted by BS_CJ
      This crap has gotta stop....I really really wish that bush would deploy about 20,000 troops along the border to assist the border patorl with deterance and apprehension ...Not only are these illegals a security risk but they are destroying our economy

When I was in the Corps we used to assist with what you are talking about. The problem is that due to posse comitatus the military cannot apprehend anyone, illegal alien or not. We used to sit in our little OP's and call in the CBP guys. We didn't get to play.
      "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by webjeep
        When I was in the Corps we used to assist with what you are talking about. The problem is that due to posse comitatus the military cannot apprehend anyone, illegal alien or not. We used to sit in our little OP's and call in the CBP guys. We didn't get to play.

True however there is a provision in the Act
        From and after the passage of this act it shall not be lawful to employ any part of the Army of the United States, as a posse comitatus, or otherwise, for the purpose of executing the laws, except in such cases and under such circumstances as such employment of said force may be expressly authorized by the Constitution or by act of Congress
        OR Bush could just find a way to send extra money to Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California if they deployed the National Guard along the border....maybe even help the states establish a "state" border patrol that would have all the powers and authority of a State police agency

Comment

The Marines, as part of the Department of the Navy, are not bound by the Posse Comitatus Act. Originally, the Act covered only the Army and now also covers the Air Force. The Navy choose to abide by it by policy, but is not bound by law.
          No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

Comment

Originally posted by mosetti
            The Marines, as part of the Department of the Navy, are not bound by the Posse Comitatus Act. Originally, the Act covered only the Army and now also covers the Air Force. The Navy choose to abide by it by policy, but is not bound by law.
            10 U.S.C. (United States Code) 375

Sec. 375. Restriction on direct participation by military personnel:

The Secretary of Defense shall prescribe such regulations as may be necessary to ensure that any activity (including the provision of any equipment or facility or the assignment or detail of any personnel) under this chapter does not include or permit direct participation by a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps in a search, seizure, arrest, or other similar activity unless participation in such activity by such member is otherwise authorized by law.

Comment

Learned something new today. Thanks.

I was refering to 18 USC 1385 (Use of Army and Air Force as posse comitatus) and was unaware of 10 USC 375 (Restriction on direct participation by military personnel). I was in the Army and restricted anyway, so I never really researched beyond 18 USC 1385.

Good info though, thanks.
              No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

Comment

Originally posted by mosetti
                Learned something new today. Thanks.

I was refering to 18 USC 1385 (Use of Army and Air Force as posse comitatus) and was unaware of 10 USC 375 (Restriction on direct participation by military personnel). I was in the Army and restricted anyway, so I never really researched beyond 18 USC 1385.

Good info though, thanks.

I found this interesting too...I stumbled across it looking for the Posse Comitatus Act

http://www.homelandsecurity.org/jour...Trebilcock.htm

The Myth of Posse Comitatus
                Major Craig T. Trebilcock, U.S. Army Reserve

The Posse Comitatus Act has traditionally been viewed as a major barrier to the use of U.S. military forces in planning for homeland defense.[1] In fact, many in uniform believe that the act precludes the use of U.S. military assets in domestic security operations in any but the most extraordinary situations. As is often the case, reality bears little resemblance to the myth for homeland defense planners. Through a gradual erosion of the act

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2972 users online. 150 members and 2822 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X