Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to verify police status?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charlie31
    Disagree...

Why is that?

Comment

Originally posted by PPDMO373
      Not trying to irrate anyone, but when I see folks arguing about the pros/cons of verification.....the ones arguing against it are the ones I fear are not LEOs. We get folks that claim they are LEOs over there all the time....but pull the "I don't want to get verified because......" 9 out of 10 times, they are full of it, and are posers.

Not saying that is the case here.....but I tend to believe that if someone doesn't want to get verified, they are not a true LEO.
      You will just have to take my word for it that I am a P.O. and have been for 15 years (18 if you count M.P. in the Army). Your statement of Officers not "wanting to get verified, they are not a true LEO" does not seem to make sense.

Not wanting to speak for others, I will only speak for myself. I have no problem verifying my status, but I will NOT involve my Department in any way.

The opinions in these forums are mine, based on my training, experience, knowledge of NC law and rules in my area. When I answer a question, it is for NC and/or more specifically, my City. I like to interact with other Officers and answering questions for the public.

I am not comfortable with sending letterhead, my certification, fax or such for verification. And I don't think it is feasible for Officer.com to mail out 16,000 letters to confirm Officers.

I am pretty new to this site, and I am satisfied with the set up now. I would also find it hard to believe that most Officers on this site, even in a "secured area", would let loose with everthing they got, because of the chance that it may NOT be secure. I also like the fact that citizens can interact with us and gain a better insight of LE.

I have nothing to hide, but I am also not stupid. I am not going to involve or discredit my Dept. and would rather keep my opinions on here as my own. If the site went to a verification process, I might find a reasonable means to do it, but you saying that those of us that are reluctant to do so, are not LEO? I disagree.

Hope this answers your question...
      Charlie 31, HPPD

"Evil is a fact not to be explained away, but to be accepted; and accepted not to be endured, but to be conquered. It is a challenge neither to our reason nor to our patience, but to our courage."

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie31
        YNot wanting to speak for others, I will only speak for myself. I have no problem verifying my status, but I will NOT involve my Department in any way.

I am not comfortable with sending letterhead, my certification, fax or such for verification. And I don't think it is feasible for Officer.com to mail out 16,000 letters to confirm Officers.
        The several sites that I am involved with that do verification processes don't make people send stuff in. Some agency's (and most Federal ones) prohibit copying Creds.
        The other sites have already verified/vetted LEOs make phone calls, LEO-to-LEO to confirm status. If done correctly, no one in the Dept. will know what's going on.....and as for the expense.....No biggie. Most folks have cell phones that have a lots of minutes. I have yet to have a problem with going over my limit as I do stuf for other site.

As for Creeker, I know his status and it's being worked on. Kinda hard to do the retired/unactive LEOs.....some PDs won't verify anything, while others will do a basic employment verification.....

Comment

PPDM,

Yeah, that why I said I could probably find a way to get "on board" wihtout using Dept. (like sending O.Com a ROOKIE PIC from 15 years back - Woot!)
          Charlie 31, HPPD

"Evil is a fact not to be explained away, but to be accepted; and accepted not to be endured, but to be conquered. It is a challenge neither to our reason nor to our patience, but to our courage."

Comment

This is my first time back here in a long time. For some reason, I accidentally hit this site on my bookmarks and decided to lurk for a bit to see if anything had changed.

The primary reason I left here nearly a year ago was because of some of the posts here by people who identified themselves as officers, but their posts belied that. Some of the stuff I've seen written by "cops" were obviously posers. I decided to move to boards where police were verified and frankly, I found them much more palatable.

I'm retired and have been for about 8 years now, but I can easily verify my status or give someone an 800 number they can call to my retirement board who can verify that I am a retired police Sgt.

Yeah, waiting for verification is a bit of a pain, but big deal. You can still post to the general section until then. It's nice to have a section where bunnies, wannabes and posers can't ogle and cops can talk about real stuff.

Just my 2 cents. As you were.
            "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

Id

I am with Tim on this one.
              As I was emailing him anyway, I sent him a copy of my ID wirh instructions to destroy it.
              I am sure that this is fine, But it is not a good idea to be sending your ID around.
              What is wrong with citizens looking at the site?
              We are not discussing ongoing investigations.
              You could learn more about SWAT tactics in a fed pen than in any LE school.
              Why are we afraid of the light of day?
              Our friends are all cops. We have excluded ourselves from the very community that we have sworn to protect and serve.

Comment

Originally posted by retdetsgt
                The primary reason I left here nearly a year ago was because of some of the posts here by people who identified themselves as officers, but their posts belied that. Some of the stuff I've seen written by "cops" were obviously posers. I decided to move to boards where police were verified and frankly, I found them much more palatable.
                It's nice to have a section where bunnies, wannabes and posers can't ogle and cops can talk about real stuff.
                I like the site you are talking about and I think it is very good all around, but...

I on a regular basis I see bad information being given out on the Ask-a-cop section. Simply because someone is verified as a cop somewhere people take their answers as being gospel.

I think the verified status should only be used for converstions between other LE on that section of the site...

Just my $.02
                Can you say DYNASTY? Go Patriots!

Comment

Originally posted by wannabeenytrp
                  I like the site you are talking about and I think it is very good all around, but...

I on a regular basis I see bad information being given out on the Ask-a-cop section. Simply because someone is verified as a cop somewhere people take their answers as being gospel.

I think the verified status should only be used for converstions between other LE on that section of the site...

Just my $.02
                  Actually, there's more than one site I frequent where cops are verified, three to be exact. As far as bad info, I see little of that, but there are kind of condescending to people where I think they shouldn't be and I don't care for the way some talk to civilians. But they also don't make the personal attacks on other cops like I see here. The thread about the cop shooting cop here is a perfect example. That was another reason I left this site. On all three others, the cops argue facts, not make personal attacks. They've done this on this site since the day I first came here and apparently it still goes on. Which also makes me wonder who here are really cops and who are posers.

By the way, are you a cop yet? I see your handle is wannabe still....
                  Last edited by retdetsgt; 09-28-2005, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by marshaldan
                    I What is wrong with citizens looking at the site?
                    We are not discussing ongoing investigations.

Why are we afraid of the light of day?
                    Our friends are all cops. We have excluded ourselves from the very community that we have sworn to protect and serve.
                    It's nice to be able to do that though w/o Joe Blow being able to read it. It's not a matter of being afraid of the light, it's a matter of being able to talk about some sensitive material and share with people you are confident are other police.

There's plenty of the other discussion that can go on in the public sector. But again, do what you want, I'm just backing Tim up for now and I'll be gone again.

Comment

Originally posted by retdetsgt
                      By the way, are you a cop yet? I see your handle is wannabe still....

Sworn in at the begining of the academy around 8 months ago, on my FTO phase right now. Since I am still pretty much clueless about the job, I will hold onto the username for a while. They say you know the job after 5 yrs so maybe I will have this username until early 2010
                      Can you say DYNASTY? Go Patriots!

Comment

Mail or Fax a Verification form to the prospective member to be filled out and signed by there H.R. Department and mail it or fax it back with a copy of their I.D. Card and once received by O.com then an e-mail will be sent to the prospective member with there password and clearance to enter into the forum.
                        I have had to do that on numerous occassions when purchaseing items that are only sold to LEO's or Corrections. My H.R. Dept is pretty understanding when filling out a verification form for me, or anyone else on the unit.
                        sigpic

Comment

Another way when someone submits and app to gain access, you send an e-mail back right? Then attach the form so they can print it out and then they can fax it back once it has been completed by their H.R. Dept.
                          There are numerous ways to do it.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dla4079
                            with a copy of their I.D. Card.
                            Most (if not all) Federal Agencies ban their employees from copying copies of their Creds or IDs.

My girlfriend works for DoJ in a support position and she would be fired if she copied her creds and sent them out to someone and someone found out.

Comment

For active guys a phone call isn't a bad idea but not everyone wants whoever answers the phone to know they are a member of any forum, there's the big brother mentality and I don't blame them....

If you're retired who do you have them call? And honestly I am not comfortable with having a internet site call my former employer....

How about a pdf form... When you register, you print out the form have it notarized and mail it back, costs the person looking to be verified the money.... On the form you have a space for shield #, employee # and whatever other info necessary.... You have stated on the form, directed at the notary that they must verify the ID and info prior to signing....

Comment

Originally posted by SS396
                                If you're retired who do you have them call? And honestly I am not comfortable with having a internet site call my former employer....
                                I do it employment verification style....just like a bank or an insurance company might do. Just tell them I am trying to verify employment of employee XXXX XXXXXXXX and ask the dates that they were employed there and if they are eligible for re-hire.....
                                It takes a while with some places.....others (like NYPD) have a employment verification section and that's all they do......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2624 users online. 172 members and 2452 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X