Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to verify police status?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I posted this elsewhere but it's relevent here too so I'll copy and paste.

-----

The wannabes normally don't bother us in the "officers only section." Who cares if they read it. The fake cops are pretty easy to pick out. I absolutely will not send any of my information to this or any other website. If it goes restricted, you will not see me there. Plain and simple.

Some say we need a restricted area to send sensitive information and officer safety information. Bad idea folks, even in a restricted area. As the Mod says, it isn't 100%. RP.com is living proof of that.

I say leave it the way it is.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitMPD
      I posted this elsewhere but it's relevent here too so I'll copy and paste.

-----

The wannabes normally don't bother us in the "officers only section." Who cares if they read it. The fake cops are pretty easy to pick out. I absolutely will not send any of my information to this or any other website. If it goes restricted, you will not see me there. Plain and simple.

Some say we need a restricted area to send sensitive information and officer safety information. Bad idea folks, even in a restricted area. As the Mod says, it isn't 100%. RP.com is living proof of that.

I say leave it the way it is.
      AHAAAaaaaaaaa! Rabbit is a fraud!!!......

(Just getting you back for that zing you gave me a few months back...cops and elephants never forget. )
      Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by BrickCop
        Another way could be to choose about ten forum members/volunteers and do a more detailed check to verify they are really cops. These ten cops could then be responsible for verifying other members. Granted it's not fool proof but what system is?
        There goes that Amway pyramid thingy again
        Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

AHAAAaaaaaaaa! Rabbit is a fraud!!!......

(Just getting you back for that zing you gave me a few months back...cops and elephants never forget. )
          Damn I've been found out! Thanks alot BrickCop. Now I need to set up a new screen name!
          It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

well, for one I'd think anyone with full 'arrest' powers should be fine. The other site has 'zero' issues with the way they do things. They have 2 federal officers that take their own time to verify people as they come in. Only the site administrator has the actual power to 'flip the switch' on their access though. They are possibly getting one or two more people to do it for them.

The ORI number is 'not' secure. Hell we had to use them for 5 'different' agencies on mock reports going through the academy. Not everyone that goes through an academy is already hired.
            Last edited by kcolg; 08-27-2005, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Why not select 4 or 5 of the verification options mentioned in this thread, and let each member deside which one to use?

My agency does not have agency e-mail, but uses an "in-house" network program. So I could not verify via e-mail. But I would not have a problem faxing a copy of my certification on agency letterhead.
              That's nice....sign here.

Comment

Originally posted by JLFINFAN
                Why not select 4 or 5 of the verification options mentioned in this thread, and let each member deside which one to use?
                I agree this is the best way because out of 5 options someone who is LE should be comfortable with 1.. This way the guy's who want to stay anonymous can, and the ones who don't mind can just fax a copy of there id.

Comment

I was going to keep my mouth shut on the subject of membership and verification, as my own status stretches the limits of membership.

Verification is not the worst idea to come along, but as many have pointed out, would be difficult to enforce. I'm not real fond of the idea of faxing my I.D. card or any other identification document. A phone call to my department might be okay, but like many others here, the less Big Brother knows, the happier I am. Quite frankly, if a wanna-be wants in, they'll figure out a way.

Membership though is another story. As I said earlier, my status stretches the limits of membership. I have never hidden that I am an investigator for the Medical Examiner or where I work. The forum administrator hasn't bounced me, nor as any forum member ever given me a hard time about my status. I take that for face value. My concern on membership/verification is that members like, or similar to myself, may loose out on some valuable insight on the people we work with hand-in-hand, day-in and day-out. I have learned a ton here just reading the various strings in this forum. Strings that relate to me, or what I do, I respond to. Those strings that are not related to my profession I leave alone. (I just didn't think commenting on patrol rifles was appropriate for me) I suppose I could participate in the "Ask-A-Cop" section, but our professions are just a little too tightly woven for appropriate question and answer in that section.
                  Be alert...the world needs more lerts!

Comment

Maybe it is just me, but I'd prefer knowing that some of the folks I'm chatting with have been verified.

You could always just have verification be optional. Everyone can still post like they normally do, but anyone who is verified can have it noted on their profile and underneath their avatar. Instead of saying "Forum Member" it could say "Verified Member" to those who choose to verify themselves.
                    Last edited by JLFINFAN; 08-30-2005, 07:03 PM.

Comment

You can usually tell who's a real cop and who isn't by certain job lingo they use (or over use) in their posts, and the attitude they convey.

I'm eyeballing a potential poser in the "Ever lose anything from your belt thread." Read through and you'll see the guy I'm talking about almost right away.

Anyhow, I'm with Rabbit on this. I'm not sending personal info to a website unless they're giving away toasters or something.

Comment

Originally posted by cleetus0219
                        You can usually tell who's a real cop and who isn't by certain job lingo they use (or over use) in their posts, and the attitude they convey.

I'm eyeballing a potential poser in the "Ever lose anything from your belt thread." Read through and you'll see the guy I'm talking about almost right away.

Anyhow, I'm with Rabbit on this. I'm not sending personal info to a website unless they're giving away toasters or something.
                        I'm fairly new around here. But I already see what you mean. So far, I've seen several posters around here from my state quoting state law that is so far off base, it makes you wonder.

As far as personal info, the info on my commission card is about what I have listed on my profile here......name, date of birth, badge #, sex, height, weigth, date of issue, etc....everything except for the goofy looking picture.

And my certification card has even less on it. Just my name. So to send a photocopy of it on my department letterhead would be no skin off my nose. But my department is small enough that the chief does not care about that sort of thing. I'm sure larger departments might be a different story.

Comment

I work for a small dept (except for shift change there are never two of us on at the same time). We don't have e-mail accounts and if you call you'll get an answering machine 99% of the time. I'm also not comfortable with copying my ID or cert so...If I had to make a choice I'd go with ORI.
                          When I see the sea once more, will the sea have seen or not seen me?

Comment

Just because someone is state certified doesn't mean they are a police officer.
                            "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

Comment

That sounds logical but how do you know the copy being faxed is from the actual person?
                              Maybe having the person notarize the document is one way to prove the person is the actual person. What do you think about that idea??

Oops, I didn't realize this was the Squad Room.
                              Last edited by toni_tk; 09-10-2005, 06:49 PM.

Comment

My suggestion is to give a call to the agency and leave a voicemail in personal mailbox with a dedicated email address for validating accounts.

My work email is not tied to my department but to city website.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3889 users online. 265 members and 3624 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X