300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Determining Seniority

how does your department determine seniority? is it by --Rank, time in rank, and time with department or are there other determining factors?

Example:

you have a person who has 10 years on. the other person has 8 years on. The person with eight years is a corporal. the guy with 10 just got promoted to corporal. i say the guy with 8 years is senior because he has been a corporal longer. Now they both get promoted to Sgt. the same day. I now say the the guy with 10 years on is senior because he has been with the department longer.

What are your thoughts or how is it with in your agency?

Thanks

George
    G. Paugh

Originally posted by 0097
    how does your department determine seniority? is it by --Rank, time in rank, and time with department or are there other determining factors?

Example:

you have a person who has 10 years on. the other person has 8 years on. The person with eight years is a corporal. the guy with 10 just got promoted to corporal. i say the guy with 8 years is senior because he has been a corporal longer. Now they both get promoted to Sgt. the same day. I now say the the guy with 10 years on is senior because he has been with the department longer.

What are your thoughts or how is it with in your agency?

Thanks

George
    In my department the seniority of a corporal or sergeant is determined by their time in grade. In the event two or more people are sworn in as sergeants or corporals on the same day, their seniority is determined by their rank in the promotional exam.

For overtime the position is first offered to a specific rank, depending on who is already working.

For private duty jobs rank is not a factor
    Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

For the rank and file it is based of your date of hire/or your academy standing.
      Recently our union voted to chnage this. We hire people early in between academies and make them fill spots like parking and property. They become senior to the classmates met in the academy. People complained that those same folks don't work hard and sleep through the academy because thier senority is already established.
      For the "staff" it is based on time in grade.

TGY
      Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

We base our seniority on the date of hire, which at this time is date of full time hire. In my department road deps can bump Sgt's in the case of a layoff, if they are higher in seniority than the Sgt.

Comment

Time on Department
          is only a tie breaker for shifts etc.
          All else equal then the officer with most time gets shift etc.

Comment

Date of hire for grunts. Date of rank for supervisors.
            RADAR is the 8th wonder of the world.

Comment

When you get promoted it's as if you started over. Except for time towards retirement and vacation time etc.

Comment

Rank

We have rank, which is obvious. Date of rank determines who is the boss.

Comment

As far as getting time off, seniority is determined by time on the dept.

As far as determining who's the boss, seniority is determined by time in grade.

Sammy
                  If I could keep one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I could ease one life the aching or cool one pain; or lift a fainting robin unto it's nest again, I shall not live in vain. Emily Dickinson
                  www.samanthafund.com

Comment

Senority

Prety much UCMJ. Rank and then DOR.
                    However, being "rural" as one member pointed out; we let the best qualified lead.
                    Some are better at their thing regardless of rank. It would be stupid and non rural to hold them back.
                    If that is the skill that you need in this situation, use it. Even if it means giving command to a lower ranked expert in this field.
                    We are not all qualified small boat handlers, SCUBA divers or night firing experts, regardless of rank.
                    The ones who are lead the ones who are not.
                    I know that it does not work this way in big agencies. The unqualified lead the unwilling.
                    Last edited by marshaldan; 08-25-2005, 09:55 AM. Reason: nc

Comment

My Force determines seniority by length of service and time in rank.

A Constable with previous service with another Police Service, or as a Special Constable with us, is considered to be junior to another Constable that has more service with us. BUT, that first Cst could, if they have enough pre-RCMP, or RCMP S/Cst experience, qualify to write our Cst-to-Cpl promotion exam the same year as, or years sooner than, the second Cst.

Same goes for Cpls, Sgts, S/Sgts and higher NCO and Officer ranks. We have to have a minimum of 2 years in each rank before writing for the next rank. We can not be commissioned until we have at least been promoted to Cpl and successfully passed the Sgt exam.
                      #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                      Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                      RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                      Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                      "Smile" - no!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3360 users online. 213 members and 3147 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X