300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BDU's or dress uniform while on patrol

What are the views on uniform? I am lucky enough to be on a squad now where bdu's are optional. Dress during day time and bdu's at night or in the afternoon. To me it is bad officer safety to have all the collar brass reflecting while searching a building or trying to sneak up on bad guys. Only bad thing with bdu's is that they are hotter in the summer.

I like the idea of BDU's at night. But during the day I think you should wear dress uniforms. Just because we stick out more during the day then at night.

Comment

My department wears BDUs day and night. They look pretty good as long as you take an iron to them before you put them on.

Comment

We get the dress uniforms and the BDU style pants in the same material as the dress pants, just have the extra pockets, and we can wear them on any shift. They look just as nice, and offer the convenience of the storage areas.
        When I'll be the girl that you love, you'll be the boy that I hate...

Comment

Originally posted by Quopper
          We get the dress uniforms and the BDU style pants in the same material as the dress pants, just have the extra pockets, and we can wear them on any shift. They look just as nice, and offer the convenience of the storage areas.
          we're the same way. i wish we could just wear nice lightweight ripstop BDUs all the time, dress uniforms are dated.
          -Sean

Comment

I intereact with a variety of agencies on a daily basis. BDU uniforms look good if the wearer takes care of them. Only problem that I see regularly is that some agencies don't do a very good job of enforcing their uniform policy and some look like rag-bags at the begnning of the shift. In general agencies that have a dress uniform policy have officers that look better. However, there are some agencies here that allow BDUs that are hammer hard on apperance and they look just as professional as the guys is dress uniforms. I totaly agree that dress uniforms are dated. With all the crap that is required to be carried the extra pockets are great. We even have a BDU uniform that is availalbe for wear with an option for a polo shirt or raid style tee-shirt. But then again our Operations Boss is damn clear about the appearence factor. He's a retired Marine, he's a litle tense about stuff like that. Funny how that works out.
            Be alert...the world needs more lerts!

Comment

Class A (dress uniform) presents a more professionial image to the public.

BDU's give the public the impression you are going to change their oil or fix their car.

Do you want to look as professional to the public or not?

Dont get me started on cops wearing shorts. Don't be a bad example for law enforcement.

Comment

Originally posted by USAcop
                Class A (dress uniform) presents a more professionial image to the public.

BDU's give the public the impression you are going to change their oil or fix their car.

Dont get me started on cops wearing shorts. Don't be a bad example for law enforcement.
                I have never had anyone in BDU's change my oil? We wear BDU's at night if we are in special ops (K9, evidence tech, SRT etc). The rest of the department wears dress uniforms all of the time.

I do have to agree there is no place for shorts or ball caps besides bike patrol.

K9 Solutions Center

South Bloomfield Police Department
                K9 Unit

American Working Dog Council

Comment

Originally posted by K9 Gunner
                  I have never had anyone in BDU's change my oil? We wear BDU's at night if we are in special ops (K9, evidence tech, SRT etc). The rest of the department wears dress uniforms all of the time.

I do have to agree there is no place for shorts or ball caps besides bike patrol.

K9 Solutions Center

I wear my ballcap in inclement weather. Like the golf ball size hail we had yesterday! It also snows like crazy a lot, so the ballcap offers some protection, but we cannot wear it everyday.
                  When I'll be the girl that you love, you'll be the boy that I hate...

Comment

Agency will only let us wear class A or B when in public. Class C is ok for training etc. Last year in hurricane duty there we were in our class Bs in the Florida August sun all day and that made me realize what happens to a motorcyclist/cyclist/pedestrian/victim that has to lay on the pavement waiting for response: they likely broil. It must be like being in a skillet.
                    Seems the class B is so that we stand out. Again, during the hurricanes, it was commented that "you guys are everywhere" due to our uniforms, we didnt just blend in like all the other Agencies in their BDUs.

Comment

Originally posted by K9 Gunner

K9 Solutions Center

LOL you would love our dept. then. Bought shorts and ball caps for all Blvd. patrol. Even said that gloves can only be warn to search someone. This came out after a woman vacation made the complaint that "the big man with gloves looked mean." They are getting away from officer safety and into the "first in service" a little too much here. I am begining to think this soft policing approach and minimal jail sentence thing is why we are the highest in the nation for violent crime per capita.

Comment

Originally posted by USAcop
                        Class A (dress uniform) presents a more professional image to the public.

Lord you sound like my captain. While I agree with the professional Class A appearance, for doing proactive, out in the street policework (arresting mopes, foot chases, domestics, etc) the class B wins, hands down.

The key is having a good appearance in them. Faded ones, and the ones where people get them fresh out of the dryer & put them on does look bad, but with a good clear policy about keeping them up they function very well.

Our agency lets us blouse them, and it adds to the appearance IMO. As for shorts, I think in some places (bike patrol, with a suitable polo) they work just fine as well. Its not 1968 LAPD Dragnet anymore. Uniforms need to reflect that. Plus the cargo pockets are absolutely wonderful.
                        And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28

Comment

Same here.

I wear my ballcap in inclement weather.
                          Aaaaaaaaaaand same here again.

Comment

Originally posted by hutch0331
                            What are the views on uniform? I am lucky enough to be on a squad now where bdu's are optional. Dress during day time and bdu's at night or in the afternoon. To me it is bad officer safety to have all the collar brass reflecting while searching a building or trying to sneak up on bad guys. Only bad thing with bdu's is that they are hotter in the summer.
                            Our agency in South AR only allows BDU's for graveyard shift, while day and mid-shift are required the standard uniform. Nylon or plain leather is only allowed graveyard and basketweave is required day and mid as well.

Comment

Originally posted by hutch0331

In my little police department, we onl where BTU as out primary uniform. It is a polo styple shirt with our name and badge stitched in it and the words police on the sleeves and blue collars. we have blue BTU and tac duty belt with black shoes. It pretty conf when you work all day. The down side is that a vest just dont work wih these uniforms so none of wear them nor most of us just dont have one becasue of budget problems. I would send a pic but they are just to ugly lol

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6679 users online. 367 members and 6312 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X