300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US LEO CCW in Canada?

I am planning a trip to New York & Canada for a couple days later this year. Does Canada allow sworn LEO's to carry firearms into the coutry? I assume not, but I could always be wrong...
    God made cops so firemen would have heroes.

You do not greet Death; you punch him in the throat repeatedly as he drags you away.

In Da Po-Po

I reckon that if you were to take your firearm into Canada, you would definately be in Da big Po-Po.

Sorry, I couldn't resist that.

I'm sure a Canadian Officer will be along shortly to give you a more sensible answer.

Cheers.

Comment

Canada doesn't even allow Canadian LEOs off-duty carry, they sure aren't going to let US LEOs do it....
      1*

Ten dash eight!

Comment

You will find info on it here:

http://gocanada.about.com/od/importingguns/
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

That is correct were are not able to carry here in Canada while off duty and the gun control is pretty strick here compared to the U.S.In fact we are aloud to carry it while going to work and from work to home but once home you must store it properly. But our dept strongly suggest that you leave your weapon at the station. So fore your question I suggest you leave it in the US or you could face criminal charge.

Have a nice trip...

Comment

Originally posted by Da Po-po
            I am planning a trip to New York & Canada for a couple days later this year. Does Canada allow sworn LEO's to carry firearms into the coutry? I assume not, but I could always be wrong...
            You can check your firearm at the border with US Customs. This not uncommon. You do not want to find yourself in a canadian jail.
            retired, NOT retarded

Comment

Originally posted by winq
              You can check your firearm at the border with US Customs. This not uncommon. You do not want to find yourself in a canadian jail.
              It is FAR BETTER that you first stop at the US Customs office, identify yourself as an off-duty US LEO/PO who IS carrying, and ask them to hold your firearms for you to pick up on your way home.

Your authority to carry a firearm, whether on your person or within your vehicle or whatever, ends at the Juan de Fuca Strait / 49th parallel / Great Lakes / Quebec-to-Nova Scotia and New York-to-Atlantic coast line. Normal hunting rifles and shotguns merely need to be declared, which will involve some paperwork, but failure to declare them will get you into ALMOST as much trouble as carrying your on-duty, off-duty or other handguns, chemical or impact weapons, so PLEASE just don't!

It is not so much that our gaols (yeah, I know, everything is spelled differently too!) are nasty, it is just that you don't want to spoil your trip and make us uncomfortable all at the same time, now do you?!
              #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
              Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
              RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
              Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
              "Smile" - no!

Comment

Thanks for all the info! That's kind of what I figured about Canada. I am glad to know that I will likely be able to check my weapon with the customs officers there while I travel north of the border for french fries and gravy. Anyhow, I guess I'll have to leave it to the local po-po to keep me safe while I'm there... so if you see a guy with a really big nose running around the first of October, remember it's just me!
                God made cops so firemen would have heroes.

You do not greet Death; you punch him in the throat repeatedly as he drags you away.

Comment

Hmmm... out of curiousity. What about the reverse side of this question. I guess for a Canadian to bring their gun into the USA it would depend on state laws?

I don't have any personal firearms, but was curious.

Comment

I work for CBP and we regularly see Canadians bring down handguns for shooting competitions. Of course, they are unloaded and locked in a safe, but if an ATF form 6 has been completed properly, they can be temporarily imported.

As far as carrying the firearm loaded and concealed, that person would have to have a state CCW permit in most cases, as well as an alien firearms permit (at least in my state). I don't think an alien (anyone not a US citizen) can receive that permit without having some sort of permanent status in the states (like a green card or visa that allows a person to live here.)

So besides temporary importation for hunting or a shooting competition, I think the answer is nope.

And we do store guns for LEOs. Not something we do regularly, but we have done it when asked.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6130 users online. 318 members and 5812 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X