Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any ideas on dealing with scooters and dirt bikes in inner City areas?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas on dealing with scooters and dirt bikes in inner City areas?

Does any one have any good ideas on how to deal with scooters, atv's, pocket bikes being careless and reckless. Any suggestions on effective enforcement?

hit them with V&T and impound the bike. chances are they won't be paying the money to get their pocket bikes out of impound. they might wise up after a few of their buddies lose their bikes.

this is if you can catch them of course. we had some kid we were chasing on a dirtbike run the wrong way up a parkway weaving in and out of oncoming cars a few weeks ago.
    Last edited by SMPPD87; 08-22-2005, 02:04 AM.
    -Sean

Comment

We used to take the plug wires and throw them down the sewer. Now that would be an ACLU investigation.
      Life is like a 3 ring circus and cops have a front row seat. It`s The Greatest Show On Earth.

Comment

Dont worry, we had the same problem in our city. People drivin those things all over the hood. The chief put out a memo and an "enforcement packet" with related statutes. It was all in vain. Within two months, all those $200.00 Pep Boys pieces of Sh*t were broken. I dont see many, if at all, anymore. The few that I do see get stopped (if they dont run) and standard ticket for no tag, etc.
        press hard-5 copies

Comment

SMPPD87

hit them with V&T
          I like it...Hit them with the V&T... VEHILCE & TIRE...

Comment

Originally posted by 3/4s
            We used to take the plug wires and throw them down the sewer. Now that would be an ACLU investigation.
            thats excellent.

Those POS bikes are everywhere, usually spray painted over since they are all stolen.. but you cant prove it b/c noone ever has a VIN# to them, and they arent plated.

Thats another victimless crime there. They break down fast enough anyways.
            And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28

Comment

You could always strech some rope across the street when you see them coming.

Comment

Since we have about 700 miles of orv trails in my county as well as a bike rally that produces about 100,000 bikes, we deal with them alot. On side streets we usually block a nearby intersection so there is no escape. On the trails its easy, you just wait for them at the next junction and slap the cuffs on. As far as reckless, careless stuff we try to get registrations and just wait for them to come home.

Comment

The push bar on my Crown Vic
                  Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Ticket the holy hell out of them, there's about 3 or 4 tickets we can write them here, even the mini bikes are considered ATV's here, and as such aren't allowed on streets. I don't think we can impound though, that'd be cool.
                    Illegitimi non carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Comment

Yea, Ticket the hell out of them, defintely those pocket bikes. Unregistered Motor Vehicle, No DL, Call for a TOW rotation, just to make them learn. Also send them to court for the criminal violation.

Comment

We were having an issue with them until our county passed 5 codes on the use of them. Each code violation is $250 for a first offense and it's the officer's discretion on whether to impound the bike or not. If the driver is under 16 yrs old, the parent gets the citation. The bike needs to be tagged and registered; the driver needs to have a helmet; the bike cannot be driven on a street, sidewalk, or on any public land (parks); if the bike is on private property, the driver needs to have written permission from the land owner to be on the property (on his person); and one other one that I can't remember off hand. Usually the first three are give mees anyway. A quick $750 in fines and I take your bike! Have a good day.

Comment

yea but..

Originally posted by RwHJR3
                          Yea, Ticket the hell out of them, defintely those pocket bikes. Unregistered Motor Vehicle, No DL, Call for a TOW rotation, just to make them learn. Also send them to court for the criminal violation.

they are all just kids! dont you remember what it is was like!

Comment

They are not all just kids, some of them are and they ride like idiots. Most are young adults and adults who have otherwise had their privilege to operate a motor vehicle otherwise suspended or revoked. They too ride like idiots. There are two kinds of mopeds/scooters/pocket bikes - stolen ones and ones that just haven't been stolen yet. Therein the problem lies...

If your license is suspended you can still ride a scooter/moped/etc as long as it is 50cc or under in VA (as long as you are not a declared habitual offender.) If you get a ticket for running a stop sign, or driving like an idiot, or no helmet, etc and you don't show up to court the judge will find you guilty in absentia and if you don't pay the fine within a week your license will be suspended. Guess what? If it's already suspended you probably don't care. You can write them tickets until you are blue in the face and it is all to no avail.

I usually just look for an altered, scratched or missing VIN plate and impound the POS if it's not listed as stolen.

I'd like to just stand in the street with a baseball bat...
                            "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by 3/4s

lol, that reminded me of an ABC special a few years ago where they followed around the NYPD and this ESU Lieutenant pulled over a semi for reckless driving. The LT was in route to another call and didn't have time to write a ticket so he took the drivers keys and threw them up on top of the trailer and told the driver that when he gets the keys down, he can go on. Funniest thing I've ever seen a cop do.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5772 users online. 331 members and 5441 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X