X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPDC: Ticketing the brass

Check out this Washington Post article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...081801850.html

Summary: Patrol officer enforces speed limit in his neighborhood during his off-duty time. He wrote an Assistant Chief (AC) a speeding ticket a year ago in this neighborhood. The officer recently attempted to stop the same AC for speeding in the same location, but the AC failed to yield, and when confronted failed to produce ID. Now, the officer has been written up for failing to maintain proper paperwork on the radar unit, while the AC faces possible discipline for conduct unbecoming. Finally, a supervisor orders the officer to stop speed enforcement because it is "slowing traffic."

Is this whole situation unbelievable or what?

Your damned if you do, your damned if you don't! There's always some way to get you. I can't believe that they cited the officer b/c he didn't have "explicit permission" to be running the radar, while off duty.

Comment

Come on though, he was just plain dumb to cite the AC, especially off duty. If it was me, I'd simply explain that I live in this neighborhood and would appreciate it if he would slow down.

But then again, I have better things to do in my time off.
      Illegitimi non carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Comment

Originally posted by Caspertoo
        Come on though, he was just plain dumb to cite the AC, especially off duty. If it was me, I'd simply explain that I live in this neighborhood and would appreciate it if he would slow down.

But then again, I have better things to do in my time off.
        And the AC was in his patrol car, no less...

It's cool that he's so dedicated, I guess. But seriously, why the F is he out there off-duty writing speeding tickets... And the AC failing to yield... the whole thing is just bizarre.
        Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

What a freaky buff. What he's doing is actually against civil service regs, since he is technically volunteering at his paid job.
          Second, he's working unauthorized.
          Third, he's gonna write another cop, especially another member of his own department? If he lived further up the east coast, he would find his locker on Branch Street, standing right where he stood 'working' radar.

Comment

You don't write other cops Period.

Comment

What an f'ing loser. Get a life buddy.
              "Support Our Troops"

Comment

I work for MPD and am familiar with the Asst Chief. He is a complete ******* who is absolutely hated by officers. Our dept has a problem with ignorant thugs who became officers during the no background check days of Marion Barry. I dont know when the AC was hired but he is an ignorant thug. His nickname is Ghetto Willie. My partner and I bailed him out of a sitiuation where he was abusing his police powers against his neighbors. He hid around a corner and watched then pulled us over in his takehome to see what we told his enraged neighbors.

Secondly MPDC management actively tickets on duty officers and you must pay or be suspended. There are several officers and sgts assigned to ticket officers cars outside of court every morning. We also get tickets from red light and radar cameras while on duty in marked police cars. Also the chief just signed an agreement with DPW allowing them to ticket police vehicles. DPW doesnt know if we are handling emergencies at the time, MPDC has to conduct an investigation.

Management are not cops. They are politicians and are not on our side. They treat cops like ****. They also believe they are above any laws. This chief deserved what he got. He didnt know the officer was offduty. The officer has a marked takehome. Imagine if an officer didnt stop for the chief. Criminal charges and termination.

Many officers in DC use their police powers to improve their neighborhoods. Many of us get discount apts or live in HUD homes. DC law states that we are on duty 24/7 anytime we are within the DC borders. It is a criminal charge to fail to take action for any code violation. Any violation no matter how minor.

SWH, This is definitely not against any regs or law and had nothing to do with an unauthorized part time. My understanding is he didn't have explicit permission to take the radar home. Many officers attach them to take homes and just leave them. Technically they are supposed to be signed in and out each shift. That is not a reg that is enforced. That was the only thing they could find to stick the officer with.

Honestly, this dept would be much better if more cops had the balls of this officer to stick it to management.
                Last edited by dcpolice; 08-21-2005, 11:41 PM.

Comment

I'm all for trying to make your neighborhood a better place, but this guy needs to get a life. This whole thing is just unreal. Write the DC a speeding ticket??? Give me a flipping break! If you've got that big of a beef, take it up internally. Seems to me this officer was just begging for something to happen to him. I appreciate his dedication, but one needs to relax every once in a while.
                  God made cops so firemen would have heroes.

You do not greet Death; you punch him in the throat repeatedly as he drags you away.

Comment

If he did it to an officer he would not have the support of other officers on MPD. Doing it to this particular chief has gotten him a lot of support and respect. This AC has hurt a lot of officers. Our relationship with mangament is terrible and this AC is one of the worst offenders. **** him, he could have at least stopped. If a citizen did that to you, you would lock him up. Our officials need to learn that laws dont just apply to officers.

The officers and detectives at IAD didnt cover up for the AC. He was judged to be wrong. That shows you even other chiefs know what a loser the AC is. They didnt even order a cover up for him.

Comment

DCPolice.... well put brother. Our management was bad at one point but new brass has come and things are much better.I think it it absolutely rediculous for your Management to write you guys tix. on or off duty. If anything they should be kissing the ground you walk on. F- them. Keep up the good work man and stay safe!

Comment

Regarding ticketing his AC, just goes to show that there are always 2 sides to every story. This officer still needs to get a life outside of work.

On another note, i dont get the ticketing of PO vehicles while on coart duty related to work (papering)?? What's that about?
                        Last edited by Troophopeful; 08-22-2005, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Troophopeful
                          Regarding ticketing his AC, just goes to show that there are always 2 sides to every story. This officer still needs to get a life outside of work.

On another note, i dont get the ticketing of PO vehicles while on coart duty related to work (papering)?? What's that about?
                          Unfortunately, that phenomenon (ticketing police vehicles while the officer is in court) is not unique to Washington, DC. I know of at least two jurisdictions in Northern Virginia that suffer from the same foolishness, including ticketing for failure to pay the meter (marked cruiser, on-duty, going to court.)
                          Last edited by chaser266; 08-23-2005, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chaser266
                            Unfortunately, that phenomenon (ticketing police vehicles while the officer is in court) is not unique to Washington, DC. I know of at least two jurisdictions in Northern Virginia that suffer from the same foolishness, including ticketing for failure to pay the meter (marked cruiser, on-duty, going to court.)
                            I tend to hear horror stories involving LEOs in VA, MD and surrounding areas, how do you all not take care of your own? This kind of crap wouldn't last as week anywhere in the North East.

Comment

The parking tickets come from management (either writing or ordering/ watching the officers write) and meter maids. Mostly we do watch each other but there are a significant number of *******s.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5162 users online. 319 members and 4843 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X