300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just bombed the SGT's test

just bombed it. Scored a 75 out of possible 100. Most guys score high 80's or better that end up promoting.

test format was "in-basket" and then a role-play with LT's who act like rookies under your command.

I like to think of myself as a good police officer, with lots of arrests and commendations from my command staff. I enjoy a good relationship with both my peers and my supervisors (who encourage that I take this test), and when questions in the field come up, they commonly ask me for my "take" on things. I am proud to have a few "thank you" letters from community member civilians who I have helped (one I arrested) in my file.

In any event, I took the test, and walked out of there feeling good. I even prepared using the various "Police SGT exam" study guides that exist.

For reasons beyond me (and to the shock of my supervisors) I scored a 74.

oh well, just venting

be safe out there

Originally posted by satpak77
    just bombed it. Scored a 75 out of possible 100. Most guys score high 80's or better that end up promoting.

test format was "in-basket" and then a role-play with LT's who act like rookies under your command.

I like to think of myself as a good police officer, with lots of arrests and commendations from my command staff. I enjoy a good relationship with both my peers and my supervisors (who encourage that I take this test), and when questions in the field come up, they commonly ask me for my "take" on things. I am proud to have a few "thank you" letters from community member civilians who I have helped (one I arrested) in my file.

In any event, I took the test, and walked out of there feeling good. I even prepared using the various "Police SGT exam" study guides that exist.

For reasons beyond me (and to the shock of my supervisors) I scored a 74.

oh well, just venting

be safe out there
    I don't know whether to congratulate you for not becoming a part of the dark side or to send my condolences. I too am just venting, there are a couple of good Sgt's out there.
    "Support Our Troops"

Comment

Bummer, sorry to hear that.
      I hate that "role-playing" type of sh*t. I'd rather just take a written test and have peer reviews & past work performance measured, myself.
      What exactly does "in-basket" mean???
      Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

Bummer!!!

I feel for ya and I know firsthand how that SUCKS!!!!!!!!

What does 'in basket' mean?
        If there was a written portion in the testing format, one mistake Ive heard about over the yrs is ppl tend to make the most basic mistake by skipping a question then forgetting to leave that spot blank..... making the rest of your answers wrong for the most part.

It happened to me just 2 yrs ago, except the difference between my score and the highest (a 91 I believe) was a measily 9 or 10 points if I recall. My ranking? a freaking 47!

Luckily my agency is on the larger side thats been in dire need of promotions for atleast 8 yrs, Im currently ranked 12 on the list and its still good for a yr....... crossing fingers!!!!
        Last edited by fortisi876; 08-17-2005, 11:38 PM.

Comment

in-basket was a large envelope they handed us with like 15 items in it. Some more important than others. Some were "immediate attention" and you had to denote which ones those were.

You handle the in-basket by writing what action you would take, on a another piece of paper, titled "Item 1 - Citizen Complaint" and then write out how you would handle it.

The 15 items range from "You just got notified one of your officers is shot" to "Citizen Jones walked in and wants to file a complaint" to "Chief wants to see you in his office" to "Subordinate officer is getting sexually harassed and wants action taken"

etc etc

oh well

Comment

Oh ok.........yea I hear ya man those can get a little tricky because the answer is usually not what a LEO would really do in the scenerio. Real life and what they want as the right answer can be the opposite at times.

Comment

Originally posted by fortisi876
              Oh ok.........yea I hear ya man those can get a little tricky because the answer is usually not what a LEO would really do in the scenerio. Real life and what they want as the right answer can be the opposite at times.
              bro I gave cop answers (I mean, I am what I am) to everything and handled things like in "real life"

oh well

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5581 users online. 320 members and 5261 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X