300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need Help!!

I need your help gathering information on felony arrest procedure/protocol for my Chief who is looking for ways or ideas to prevent a simple felony arrest from going bad. Specifically, grabbing the suspect at a house or from a building.

Thanks in advance!

Please e-mail any documents to:

[email protected]

arrest

Seems simple enough, but remember 2 things: An arrest warrant is not a search warrant, and probable cause does not authorize you to bust down doors, unless there is fresh pursuit. Those 2 things get cases thrown out faster than anything else. Also, don't try to establish probable cause through un mirandized interviews. Get a DA or States Attorney to file the case for you in advance if possible, especially when in doubt.
    Jerry
    "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

We had a six count felony warrant for embezzelment with a habitual offender tacked on. We sat on the house for two days and then discovered that our target was in Chicago. Then on the third day, we sit up at 0500hrs and watch our guy let his dog out. A phone call was made to the house and then we attempted contact at the door. The suspect refused to come to the door. The suspects boyfriend came out a short time later and advised that the suspect had a gun and was going to hurt himself. Four officers used "Quad" type tactics and entered the house to find our suspect with slit wrists, and in overdose on meds and "The Works" toliet bowl cleaner.

My experience in dope and surveillance tells me that we should have waited for him to move out of the house and not rush the incident. I just wondered if any of you had any protocol for this type of thing.
      Last edited by Enviropig; 08-16-2005, 03:37 PM.

Comment

arrest

Would've helped to know those details before I gave general advice. That scenario could have ended badly for everyone. If you had the warrant, what was the rush? And if a tactical entry was to have been made, seems like it could have been done a lot easier by just doing a typical knock and announce followed by a forced entry.
        Jerry

Comment

arrest

Seems awful extreme for an embezzlement case. Hope the boyfriend got snatched up for obstruction.
          Jerry

Comment

Jerry- I agree with you. The three officers from my department were just following orders from the on-scene commander. We are attempting to change the decision making process and who make them.

Comment

Enviropig,

I have a policy on warrant service threat assessment that may help. I will email it to you.
              Last edited by jricks; 08-17-2005, 11:54 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3475 users online. 154 members and 3321 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X