Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bradruth
    replied
    We have a gym in the basement of the PD. A bunch of weight machines, treadmills, exercise bikes, TV, stereo, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Quopper
    replied
    Originally posted by deebo29577
    Well I just spoke with the capt. and it does not look good. First off we dont have a Union here so anything they would help you with would do us no good. The second thing is that "due to legal reasons" the dept. would not be able to have a gym without paying officers for the time they workout. I was not trying to get too greedy with the pay to train thing, I just wanted a dept. gym free of dirt bags. The city will not pay officers to work out and since we do not have any fitness standards there is no argument for it.
    There has to be some way around that. We do not have physical standards but we do have a great gym at the new statioin and we do not get paid to work-out.

I hope you can keep digging at this for your dept, physical fitness is a very important part of being a police officer.

Leave a comment:

• deebo29577
    replied
    Well I just spoke with the capt. and it does not look good. First off we dont have a Union here so anything they would help you with would do us no good. The second thing is that "due to legal reasons" the dept. would not be able to have a gym without paying officers for the time they workout. I was not trying to get too greedy with the pay to train thing, I just wanted a dept. gym free of dirt bags. The city will not pay officers to work out and since we do not have any fitness standards there is no argument for it.

Leave a comment:

• whitehat
    replied
    All good suggestions so far. What I have done for the past five years was talk with the local high schools and the sports booster clubs. I have also partnered with District One Fire Dept. They have the space and the Sheriffs Office has the equipment. Our Sheriff is an ex-pro football player so he has been very supportive. He has gone to Fort Lewis in Wa. State and gotten some of their old equip. It has been in very good condition. You might also try Govt. Auctions. good equip cheap. After five years we have a very nice set up, 40x60 heat/air pole building. I can testify to the fact of stress relief and the mental let down after a tough work out. The other comments are right a guy looks good when the stitching is popping.! Lets face it the bad guys size us up on looks quite a bit. It also tends to lend to great commeradary and its nice to know your working partner is capable when he says he got your back! If you like contact me and I will share what I can.

Leave a comment:

• azchopshopcop
    replied
    Fortunately for me, our department is outfitted with a complete gym. It was built into the new Police Station.

However, prior to that we worked out at the Fire Department. They have great gyms' at all the stations. I don't know if this is common around the country but it wouldn't hurt to look into it.

Also look into finding a grant for physical fitness. I know that some of our equipment came from that, and some other stuff was from money divied up from assest seizures..

Leave a comment:

• Enviropig
    replied
    You might try asking your union to buy some equipment. Our union gave us money each of the last five years to purchase equipment. We have a nice set up now.

Leave a comment:

• 1BAD-SS
    replied
    I believe that the last issue of American Police Beat (p67) had an article on the benefits of a department mandated PT program. Less time lost due to sickness and improved physical conditioning of the officer. At my dept. we get paid to workout for an hour a day. Great incentive to PT. Muscular arms do make the uniform look better and the better we look in the uniforms the better the city looks.
    Last edited by 1BAD-SS; 08-14-2005, 07:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I agree with Justice, the Brass @$$ puckers when the issue of money comes in play. My department found a spot that wasn't being used and made plans for the gym. A few members who are "construction" smart did the work, and we went to some other local departments who had old equipment and they gave it to us. We also tried some of the local high schools who also gave us some old equipment. Due to our dedication and use of that gym, the admin finally gave in and got us all brand new stuff. We brought up the same points justice did and when we showed them how usefull it was to us they were very happy to help us, so i say get with some of the guys/girls who want it and make a plan. You'll never get it if you dont try.

Leave a comment:

• lazycop
    replied
    Reason for Editing.
    Last edited by lazycop; 02-15-2010, 05:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PeteBroccolo
    replied
    As Justice12 says, put forward these arguments, but see if there is some under-utilized space at your office/HQ/station that could be used for a workout area.

We are allowed a 1/2 hour per shift of work time to work out if we also donate a 1/2 hour of our own time. I have not bothered using that provision, working out on my own time.

Our Detachment has 2 old barrack rooms on the upper floor that have a treadmill and stationary bike in 1 room, and a small universal gym, 2 benches and some free weights in the other. The treadmill is worn out, the bike is not bad, but the other room is too small to throw free weights around in, so I go to a local gym ($165 for 6 months, plus free water and sweat towels). I see some "clients" there, but not many, and of those that I do, there was never a problem.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by deebo29577
    Not sure where to post this so feel free to move where ever it fits best. I was wondering how many of you guys have a gym in your Dept. or a gym that only Police can use. I was wondering were I could get some info. on how to purpose this idea to the brass and see if we can get one. I am sick of dealing with trash that I put in jail seeing me in the gym. Hell the last guy I saw I arrested for 2 counts felon in possession of pistol and 2 counts of unlawful carry. (He's not a big fan of mine)
    More of less I am asking What did your purposal look like?
    TIA
    First, nothing makes admin's *** pucker up faster than asking for money for something. Most importantly, try to find ways to get the equipment for cheap. Maybe donations, maybe some officers will bring in their home equipment. That way, all you are asking for is the space.

If you do have to ask for money, these are some things you can point out

1. Cops that are in better shape are good PR. One of the biggest complaints you'll hear from the public is that "Oh, the cops around here are all fat and lazy".

2. Cops in better shape can save the city money by decreasing the amount of sick time for injured officers.

3. Having a gym will allow officers to relax after a busy shift, relieve stress, etc. Anyone that works out knows it makes you feel better about yourself and increases your energy level. This will improve morale and increase productivity.

Maybe you can find some articles or studies that support your proposal, and submit it in written form. It's better than just walking into the chief's office and asking. The more professional your proposal is, the more likely it will be accepted.

Leave a comment:

• Caspertoo
    replied
    My department has a gym in both of it's stations, the main one is pretty nice, the smaller one is just ok. Good if you wouldn't otherwise workout but for a serious workout it's off to 24hr fitness.

Leave a comment:

• Bosworth55
    replied
    Call sporting goods stores and direct to gym equipment co. and ask to see if they can help you out. Thats all we did each officer paid $10 and the city paid the rest. We saved about $1800 on our equipment. Also we had two tredmills donated by individual citizens.
    Last edited by Bosworth55; 08-13-2005, 12:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• deebo29577
    replied
    Some Departments have their own gym. The powers that may be, wont just buy a bunch of equipment and build a gym without some type of plan or write-up for it. Just wondering if anyone has something of the sort or have been part of creating one.

Leave a comment:

• MattCO
    replied
    our prison has a pretty nice gym.. i would prefer to use it on lunch, but unfortunately we dont have a lunch break. i have a membership at a local gym thats less than a mile from my house, so i go there instead. a lof of the officers where i work go to the gym after their shift has ended. as far as your question goes, what "proposal" are you talking about?

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4194 users online. 266 members and 3928 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X