300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chain of command help

Hey guys, for my training class I have to write down the chain of command starting at the president then going down. here is what I came up with anyone have any missing spot's because I know there are a few more.

President
    Pice President
    attorney general
    county prosecutor
    county sheriff
    municipal govering body
    police chief
    capt
    lt
    sgt
    then my academy guys.

thanks for any help

Originally posted by dvsmnstr
    Hey guys, for my training class I have to write down the chain of command starting at the president then going down. here is what I came up with anyone have any missing spot's because I know there are a few more.

President
    Pice President
    attorney general
    county prosecutor
    county sheriff
    municipal govering body
    police chief
    capt
    lt
    sgt
    then my academy guys.

thanks for any help

I'd include the Vice President in there if you are going to include the "Pice President".

Actually the Vice President isn't in your chain-of command.

It should go-

C-in-C: The Pres- you do (or most of us do) swear an oath to up-hold the federal laws/constitution so by default, the pres is the "big guy".

Governor of your state- at least my state has a law that allows the governor to use us in time of need, so I have to follow his/her orders.

Then, if you're in a muncie-
    Mayor (or whatever they call the head honcho of your town)
    Your Chief
    Your - [follow the chain down- Colonel, Major, Capt, LT, Sgt, Cpl, etc]

If you're in a Sheriff Dept-
    obviously the head guy in place of the Mayor.

If you're a Fed, who the h#ll knows, I've never figured those guys out.

The Fed Attorney General, and the State Attorney General give you direction, but they're not in your chain of command. Just like the courts and attorneies that work for the courts, both Fed and Local, can end up making decisions that affect your job, but they are not in your chain. Although, if a States Attorney tells me to do something I usually do.

And should you ever get in the middle of a civilian rights issue, you will find the Feds and State Attorney General have a LOT of say in what you did and will do.
    "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Actually for any office to be included in a police officer's chain of command it has have to have the authority to issue a lawful order to that officer. Federal offices such as the president have no such authority over state and municipal police officers. Sheriff's Deputies chain of command starts with the Sheriff, state law enforcement officers' start with the governor and municipal officers start with the chief executive officer of the municipality. Only federal law enforcement officers employed by agencies of the executive branch start with the president.
      As a state trooper mine is as follows
      Governor
      Commissioner (Col.)
      Area Commander (Maj.)
      Troop Commaning Officer (Capt.)
      Officer in charge (Sgt.)
      Unit Supervisor (Cpl.)
      Last edited by PABear31; 08-10-2005, 11:39 PM. Reason: typos
      When Society makes war on its police, it better be prepared to make friends of its criminals.

Comment

as far as I remember the USAG is the head honcho.

Comment

they told us to start with the pres though, and go down.. as you guys know there not very specific.

Originally posted by PABear31
          Actually for any office to be included in a police officer's chain of command it has have to have the authority to issue a lawful order to that officer. Federal offices such as the president have no such authority over state and municipal police officers. Sheriff's Deputies chain of command starts with the Sheriff, state law enforcement officers' start with the governor and municipal officers start with the chief executive officer of the municipality. Only federal law enforcement officers employed by agencies of the executive branch start with the president.
          As a state trooper mine is as follows
          Governor
          Commissioner (Col.)
          Area Commander (Maj.)
          Troop Commaning Officer (Capt.)
          Officer in charge (Sgt.)
          Unit Supervisor (Cpl.)

Comment

My guess would be:

President
            Vice President
            Attorney General
            Governor
            Lt. Governor
            State Attorney General
            __________________ then depending on who you work for

State Patrol
            Commander
            LT Commander
            Capt
            LT
            SGT

Sheriff
            Undersheriff
            Capt
            LT
            SGT

Mayor
            Chief
            Capt
            LT
            SGT

are you at a agency specific academy?

Comment

I'd think you would have to include the presidents entire cabinet.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Switek
                I'd think you would have to include the presidents entire cabinet.

If the president/VP were to die then I think you would be correct...but I'm not entirely sure the Sec. of Agriculture is in the chain of command

Comment

Originally posted by BS_CJ
                  If the president/VP were to die then I think you would be correct...but I'm not entirely sure the Sec. of Agriculture is in the chain of command
                  Correct. However, there is a chain of command that involves most of the cabinet.

Comment

I don't know about the Lt. Governor, but the Vice President is not in any chain of command. His constitutional authority is only to assume the office of the President in the event of the President's death and to serve as the President of the Senate. He does not fall into any Chain of Command. I would assume the same would go for the Lt. Governor, but you would have to refer to your states constitution.
                    No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

Comment

Originally posted by mosetti
                      but the Vice President is not in any chain of command.

Nevermind

Comment

Thank you BS_CJ, that is what I was looking for but could not find it on the web, I only have 1 hour in between my full time job ending and having to be at the academy. Add in getting dressed and shave and shower and I have little time for homework due the next day. The class is 9 months tues/wed/thurs from 6:00 to 11:00/11:30.

thanks again guys.

Originally posted by BS_CJ
                        My guess would be:

President
                        Vice President
                        Attorney General
                        Governor
                        Lt. Governor
                        State Attorney General
                        __________________ then depending on who you work for

State Patrol
                        Commander
                        LT Commander
                        Capt
                        LT
                        SGT

Sheriff
                        Undersheriff
                        Capt
                        LT
                        SGT

Mayor
                        Chief
                        Capt
                        LT
                        SGT

are you at a agency specific academy?

Comment

Originally posted by dvsmnstr

President
                          Pice President
                          attorney general
                          county prosecutor
                          county sheriff
                          municipal govering body
                          police chief
                          capt
                          lt
                          sgt
                          then my academy guys.

thanks for any help
                          Chain of command for what? The President isn't in the chain of command for my department anymore then the Secretary of Defense is.
                          Retired

Comment

A few of you seemed to miss the fact that they told us to start at the pres and go down. I'm just doing as I was instructed.

Originally posted by retired
                            Chain of command for what? The President isn't in the chain of command for my department anymore then the Secretary of Defense is.

Comment

Assuming you work for a local agency, your chain of command from the President would be:

The President
                              The Governor
                              The Mayor / Sheriff
                              Police Commisioner / Chief of Police / Undersheriff
                              Station Commander
                              Section Commander
                              Shift Commander
                              No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4416 users online. 276 members and 4140 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X