Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gomets11
    replied
    i just bought a 3 15" LED's 2 blue one red...one blue and one red will go on the rear deck and one blue will go on the front dash...i haven't installed them because i'm riding in a fleet car waiting to be issued a new car since mine was totaled out after a crazy pursuit accident deal...

Leave a comment:

• GatorPD
    replied
    Originally posted by ufresdave View Post
    Yo smokey, I am an officer in N. Florida. I am down in west palm beach for a few days, and i was driving on I-95 tonite and saw the new lightbar. I guess the trooper was workin hireback. It was all blue (dark out, about 12:30am) and very impressive. I really wanted to pull over and ask him to turn on the reds too, but did not. It was a really intense and bright light bar.
    If I am not mistaken, troopers can't "turn their reds on". There is a sensor in the unit that detects lighting and visibility and sets the color of the lights automatically.

Leave a comment:

• GoldBadge
    replied
    Originally posted by Florida Smokey View Post
    My department is in the process of getting rid of the Vector light bars. Historically, we have always used only blue lights. We have just purchased a BOATLOAD of new LED light systems......and they have RED lights in them
    In NY, red lights are for police, blue for volunteer firefighters, but police agencies including the NYSP are using red and blue in their lights bars. I personally like the two colors together because they universally say, "police."

As a fed, having red and blues in my light system is useful for me for when I travel into nearby states like CT with my gov't car where police use blue lights.

Leave a comment:

• Airforcop
    replied
    Originally posted by KWSO73 View Post
    How do you "polish" the lenses on a lightbar? I have the Whelen Excalibur lightbar and the lenses are starting to get cloudy...just as you described... Any help and suggestions appreaciated!!
    FYI, I bought some rubbing compound and a meguire's powerball yesterday and took it too my Whelen Edge today, looks like new. Hell of a lot easier than doing it by hand.

Leave a comment:

• midmichigancop
    replied
    We purchase our cars from Texoma Ford and they come fully equipped with everything but the radio. They are still $2000 cheaper than the ones we buy locally that come plain.

Leave a comment:

• grumpyirishman
    replied
    Originally posted by Bodie
    Vt fuzz .... Only idiot fellow officers (Joke) Anybody who does install lights on his PV or takes cash out of his own pocket to add lights to a department owned vehicle needs talked to REAL bad.

I totally agree with Bodie...its crazy to have equipment on your POV and if its an agency car, they pay...and its also crazy to wash, wax, and polish their equipment. Thats what "MR. WASH" is for...you guys gotta learn that when they pay you, you are not supposed to give them back your money to fix their equipment..
    Last edited by grumpyirishman; 08-23-2005, 08:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KWSO73
    replied
    Great. I have that same wax at home--and all three steps. I'll give 'er a whirl and see what happens. Thanks a bunch for the advice!

Leave a comment:

• OffDuty
    replied
    Originally posted by KWSO73
    How do you "polish" the lenses on a lightbar? I have the Whelen Excalibur lightbar and the lenses are starting to get cloudy...just as you described... Any help and suggestions appreaciated!!
    Well, it took a LONG time. Basically I used some Meguiars wax (the 3 step stuff- rub compound, cleaner, wax/polish) that I had all 3 laying around from a car I sued to own. PepBoys, etc. all carry it. #1,2,3 all on the bottles.

Did them inside & out, and used a buffer wheel. Originally the rubbing compound by hand helped & I thought what happens if you do it up.

Its a pain in the ***. If I had to recommend a helpful tip, get with a detail shop that has a good high speed orbital buffer & rubbing compound. Take the lenses off & to them & pay them to work some magic.

This method seriously works though. Most of the guys are jealous & think they are new. heh heh.

Afterwards, I found the Plexus plastic polish and tried that for light swirls as maintenance.. that works pretty good for upkeep. But you gotta put the work in first. Beats spending 60 bucks per color for new bar lenses.

Whew. PM me if any questions on that!

Leave a comment:

• KWSO73
    replied
    Originally posted by OffDuty
    I was lucky enough to get good results polishing the lenses to get them to be mostly clear again, and not the usual opaque haze of most of the others.

Leave a comment:

• rgv_cop
    replied
    Originally posted by OffDuty
    Somewhat off topic, but yet on topic.

Does anyone have within their department vehicles a rear deck light- possibly by FS or Whelen.. its a 6 light slanted thing, that I recall had strobe lights, as well as a intersection sweep flasher thing on the end lights.. I recall Galls used to sell one. I saw one driving though a small town coming back from a trip recently, and while I love my LEDs that was kinda neat, and pretty bright.

Just wondering what it was.. if anyone knows what I am talking about & can help.
    I belive it was called the 'Slick Stick' by Code 3

Leave a comment:

• SkyCop418
    Guest replied
    I bet that huge dome light will add some drag to that MI State Cruiser!

Leave a comment:

• OffDuty
    replied
    Somewhat off topic, but yet on topic.

Does anyone have within their department vehicles a rear deck light- possibly by FS or Whelen.. its a 6 light slanted thing, that I recall had strobe lights, as well as a intersection sweep flasher thing on the end lights.. I recall Galls used to sell one. I saw one driving though a small town coming back from a trip recently, and while I love my LEDs that was kinda neat, and pretty bright.

Just wondering what it was.. if anyone knows what I am talking about & can help.

Leave a comment:

• krcool32
    replied
    We have Whelen strobes on the roof, strobes in the turn signals and backups, and wig wags... They don't let me take it home, so I refuse to spend the little money I do make on lights that no-one pays attention to anyways.

My buddy works for a 8 man dept with a take home car and he has his car lit up like a christmas tree with LED lights. It looks sweet as hell. But he spent a good penny on it.

Leave a comment:

• SkyCop418
    Guest replied
    We were also lucky enough to have the light box set up so you can kill the front lights and have all rears on while backing up another officer. That has been the best thing i've seen yet!

Hmm as for radios and other stuff we have the Fed. Signal PA 300 that has the "Priority" tone I love it, clears intersections great! We also have standard radio and ground radio for driving across the taxi ways. "Scarey stuff"
    Last edited by ; 08-12-2005, 11:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• KenW.
    replied
    I was certainly happy to get the vector / vision off my roof. All that remains are: grill, visor, rear deck, corner strobes, flashing headlights, backup lights, & brakelights, and no wind noise anymore, just QUIET!!! Oh, and a vhf radio that nobody uses anymore.

My hubcaps on the 2000 CV are wired on...

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4431 users online. 300 members and 4131 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X