Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have a department issued Cell Phone?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have a department issued Cell Phone?

My agency issues cell phones, depending on what job/rank you have. We charged 10 cents a minute for any personal calls you make on the department cell phone.

We have 2 different vendors for cell phones: Sprint and Nextel.

Both vendors have packages giving us free minutes for each phone (nights, weekends, ect..) My dept has a policy in place that allows you to use their phone for personal reasons, but you have to pay for your personal calls. Even if the calls are made during the free minute period.

Anyone have the same B.S. issue with their agency?

I will be looking into carrying my own phone...

nothing to see here
    Last edited by olnacl; 05-18-2006, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately, yes I do. Since it's Nextel, all incoming minutes are free, and I think our plan has unlimited direct connect. If you go over the 800 anytime, you get a bill for the overage.

Comment

We have cell phones for each car in my Division, with some Units that are in areas with poor cell coverage having at least one satellite phone. The service provider is the Provincial Crown Corporation phone company, and the calling plans generally include free cell-to-cell and local calling. We are not supposed to use the cells for personal business, but making calls home to explain that we will be late are not a problem. The bosses mainly want to make sure we are not spending more time on calls, personal or otherwise, than doing our work.

Cell phones are essential to our Units, particularly those without MDT/MWS, as our CommCentre is too busy most times to make calls for tow trucks or to call back complainants.
        #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
        Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
        RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
        Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
        "Smile" - no!

Comment

Geez Pete,

I'm still sending smoke signals in my car let a lone have those nice work stations in the cars.

I swear, the smaller the detachment, the further in the stone age we are. Heck, I still have one car with a light bar that I'm sure there are two little monkeys sitting on a rotating disk holding candles.

Our new boss finally got us enough cell phones so when there are 2 members on, each would have a cell phone.

RCMP

Comment

Originally posted by VegasMetro
            My agency issues cell phones, depending on what job/rank you have. We charged 10 cents a minute for any personal calls you make on the department cell phone.

We have 2 different vendors for cell phones: Sprint and Nextel.

Both vendors have packages giving us free minutes for each phone (nights, weekends, ect..) My dept has a policy in place that allows you to use their phone for personal reasons, but you have to pay for your personal calls. Even if the calls are made during the free minute period.

Anyone have the same B.S. issue with their agency?

I will be looking into carrying my own phone...

Same policy at my department. Everyone in my unit has a department cell. I use my personal cell for personal calls.

Comment

I have always avoided using department cell phones because calls are subject to audit and the phone bills (listing the numbers called) are also public record.

Cell phone rates are pretty cheap compared to 10 years ago and most companies offer cops a discount. With that in mind, I've just used my own phone.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

i get the NEXTEL 860

Comment

supervisors are provided cell phones through cingular. the department has a bulk deal where it pays 10 bucks a month per phone and each phone has 2500 minutes a month. if you dont use all 2500 minutes for the month (not including nights and weekends), the remaining minutes roll over to the next month. we can call whomever we want, whenever we want, as long as we dont go over the minutes we have in our individual accounts.

if we do go over, we get written up the first time. the second time we go over, we can be terminated. however, we've only had one guy go over the 2500 minutes and i still dont understand where he found the time to do all that talking.
                  "The American public will find it refreshing to see a Republican candidate, who's not a moralistic, sexually repressed, crusading hypocrite, who cruises airport men's rooms late at night."
                  William Shatner

Comment

Supervisors get Nextels. You're supposed to itemize your personal calls but for some reason every call we make is business related.
                    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by BrickCop
                      Supervisors get Nextels. You're supposed to itemize your personal calls but for some reason every call we make is business related.
                      How do you explain all those calls to the 1-900 phone sex lines?
                      Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Originally posted by Delta784
                        How do you explain all those calls to the 1-900 phone sex lines?
                        In my assignment, I get paid to call them & they even give me a phone

Comment

yes, Nextels, 500 anytime minutes, free nights and weekends, free unlimited direct connect, 100 text messages-all for business purposes only of course

Comment

Nextel...

Seems that most department still use Nextel. Is it only here in WPB that Nextel's service is horrible? Tpn... they still give Nextels to every officer there?
                            In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

Originally posted by sflcop
                              Seems that most department still use Nextel. Is it only here in WPB that Nextel's service is horrible? Tpn... they still give Nextels to every officer there?

yes every officer and some civilian staff get them

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5335 users online. 305 members and 5030 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X