300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions of accreditation

My department is undergoing the process to get accreitated by CALEA and I was wondering if any have any experiences of working in the "accredited" atmosphere. One officer who left an accredited agency says it's nothing but headaches for the officer and leaves the administration untouched by the actions of an officer. Any thoughts?

My depatment is CALEA, but I do not know a lot about it. We have a Sgt who's only job is to do the CALEA paperwork. Seems like a waste of money to me. I do not know of any benefits to be accredited.

Comment

We are undergoing getting recertified. We have a full time accredidation manager. Now, we have a patrol officer, and a patrol sgt. helping out. We are 8 people shy on patrol. To me, it is a waste of manpower and money. They said that it will get the dept more money, but LE grant money has been cut. Also, it means a policy about everything.

Comment

I think it's a colossal waste of time, money, and manpower.
        Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

It's a huge waste of time and resources.
          Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

So, I understand it's a waste of time and money. How does it affect the work environment? More restrictive, no change?

Comment

Originally posted by CrymsinSky
              So, I understand it's a waste of time and money. How does it affect the work environment? More restrictive, no change?
              Much more restrictive. As someone mentioned, it means a policy about EVERYTHING. Tons of micromanagement and a waste of a lot of resources that could be used elsewhere. Administrators really love it though, it gives them a meaningless accomplishment that they can brag about.
              Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

Cash
                Accepted from
                Law
                Enforcement
                Agencies
                Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

Originally posted by BrickCop
                  Cash
                  Accepted from
                  Law
                  Enforcement
                  Agencies
                  HAHAHA!!!!
                  Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

There's a push for us to do it, but we've been successful in stopping it so far. But, I can see it happening at some point.
                    "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Oh yes, polcies on EVERYTHING. But on the plus side the public does respond well to it, of course not the public we normally deal with, but still.
                      Illegitimi non carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Comment

I know that Burnsville MN paid 100,000 to get re-accredited...that does not count the money they paid for a SGT to be the reaccrediation guy..figure thats another 80 grand on top of the 100k. That is 180 grand that city wasted.....that is the equalivent of three officers payroll for the year! You would think that they could have used that money in other places....
                        Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

Hate it, hate it, hate it! Too much paperwork, too many policies. Our policy manual should be put on disk as big as it is. Once every three years the CALEA gods come down and shine their light on us and we have to dance around for them. What a waste of money and time!

Comment

There are a lot of negatives to CALEA from the street cop's perspective. But to be fair there are some positives. 1. By having to put all policies in writing your department can't fire you for something some boss just made up. 2. Accreditation just cut the cost of your departments liability insurance by a substantial amount. 3. At least for us accreditation meant that we got a whole lot of new equipment and upgrades. The only reason my department replaces body armour every 5 years is that CALEA says they have too. My 1st vest had to last me 10 years. We also got pepper spray, impact weapons, semi-autos and an improved radio system.
                            We have been accredited for 12 years and while it is a real pain in the butt for the ground troops the positives have out weighed the negatives.
                            When Society makes war on its police, it better be prepared to make friends of its criminals.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta784
                              HAHAHA!!!!

Exactly.

It seems to me the only reason that my dept is considering it is because a lot of other agencies are as well.. Its the latest buzzword in policing.

Always follow, never lead.. thats our motto. I wonder why its not on our cars?
                              And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4143 users online. 203 members and 3940 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X