300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mutual Aid Agreements

Any one have any knowldege about mutual aid agreements ? Im in a city surrounded by a much larger city , and im always rolling up on something - where i have to contact the primary agency.

any ideas ?

The Municipal agency I work for is the county seat. I don't know much about this topic, but awhile back my Cheif, and the Sheriff went back and forth on this issue. I'm not sure what if anything they put in writing, but we can assist a deputy outside our jurisdiction anytime we are requested to do so by someone working for the sheriff's department. The key is they have to request help.

Comment

It's just a legal piece of paper that covers your rear if you act.
      Ther should not be a problem without such an agreement if you act on a felony in progress or in case of an injury.

Comment

Originally posted by pmp
        Any one have any knowldege about mutual aid agreements ? Im in a city surrounded by a much larger city , and im always rolling up on something - where i have to contact the primary agency.

any ideas ?
        Even with a mutual aid agreement, an officer would still have to contact with primary agency. Often, to assist within the neighboring city, the command will have to request your assistance through your command. Still a big PITA.

Comment

I know in my state the only person that can grant Mutiual Aid is the Sheriff or the highest ranking Deputy working at the time. Even if they are not sending any units they have to grant it to have one city back up another.
          Quick throw me your cuffs I already used all of mine
          Come here Slick Im not done with you yet

Comment

In the city I work for every officer is also sworn "special deputy" with the surrounding county s.o., giving us jurisdiction in the county as well as the city.

Comment

There is no requirement for such agreements in Canada, as Federal and Provincial legislation provides for Peace Officer authority throughout each Province for members of all Municipal and the Provincial Police Services in each Province. The only concern would be enforcement of Municipal By-laws, which only are animal, noise and parking controls, so no riot squad is usually required!

A minor concern would be a "client" fleeing and crossing Provincial, or the Canada/USA, borders - either way, we phone or radio ahead for back-up. If into another Province, I can keep going until I hit either the Arctic, Atlantic or Pacific Oceans; if this goes South of the 49th parallel, I just laugh, as I believe your Border Patrol, State Police or local Sheriff Office do not have a real sense of "Haha!" about such shenanigans, and have a WEE bit more leeway than I do in such matters!

I can roll up behind Weyburn PS members, if I know that they are going to a call of a loud, large party, and hang back until they need help - I can't enforce the noise by-law, but if just one "client" touches a WPS member, NOW I have authority to enforce the Federal Criminal Code for Assault Peace Officer, or Breach Of The Peace. Failing that, if a "client" is violating Provincial alcohol control laws, s/he is mine, unless the WPS member gets to her/him first!

"Alcohol - the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems!" Of course, if it wasn't for alcohol and sex, would any of us be employed in this crazy life we lead?!
              Last edited by PeteBroccolo; 08-02-2005, 03:46 PM.
              #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
              Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
              RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
              Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
              "Smile" - no!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4116 users online. 205 members and 3911 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X