Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sound's like ya would have to have a cheat sheet to find out

what you could do and could not do....
    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Not a peace officer out-of-state

Just remember that you are a private citizen once you leave your homestate. Most states have given peace officers authority statewide, irrespective of their department, but some department rules prohibit this further. Just because we now have the privelege of carrying a gun in other states (USC 926B), doesn't mean that we have any additional authority other than a private person's arrest. Meaning the civil liabilities are on YOU.

Comment

we have guys that go to missouri for some gang thing. they work for the police departments there, but are paid by our department. i don't remember the department, but they don't have near enough people to work the event. with HR218, our guys can go up there and lend a hand.

Comment

Originally posted by GoGo Gadget
          HR218 has nothing to do with details like that. They should be getting sworn in as special officers or deputized for the duration of the detail, that type of thing.
          When I was on the Mounted Unit, we were hired in the summer to work crowd control at a rather large outside concert venue in a small town south of us. We were sworn as special police officers for the town, although we wore our regular badges & uniforms.
          Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

My state certifies you for statewide authority. Only one academy system, so the cities, counties, universities, state patrol, etc all use the same training academy. Corrections academy is the same way, and it works for jails, prisons, probation & parole, etc.
            I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Where I work, we have concurrent jursidiction as the airport is split, 2 counties meet in the center so we enforce both county laws, state laws, faa laws and our own airport laws. It's Kind of cool but it can be a pain in the rear carrying 2 different citation books!

Comment

L-1...afer reading all these it looks like California did it right for a change. I think got it easy to figure out.
                Be alert...the world needs more lerts!

Comment

IN Ireland we have country wide powers on or off duty. Doesnt matter what city or county, a cop is a cop is a cop. Handy being in a small country with only one police force.

We are required to carry our official notebooks and badges at all times and intervene in any breaches of the law where there is a threat to life or property.

Of course we dont carry the notebooks just the badge in the back pocket (Bouncers might ask you for ID but only the once). We are also not allowed to carry any personal protection tools off-duty but then again all we have is a foot long wooden baton and Heiton loose cuffs anyway so no real loss. Armed units are permitted to bring their guns home as they are personal issue for life not signed in or out. However they can only carry them off duty on their way to and from the station, not out shopping.

Comment

Originally posted by AnGardaSiochana
                    IN Ireland we have country wide powers on or off duty. Doesnt matter what city or county, a cop is a cop is a cop. Handy being in a small country with only one police force.

We are required to carry our official notebooks and badges at all times and intervene in any breaches of the law where there is a threat to life or property.

Of course we dont carry the notebooks just the badge in the back pocket (Bouncers might ask you for ID but only the once). We are also not allowed to carry any personal protection tools off-duty but then again all we have is a foot long wooden baton and Heiton loose cuffs anyway so no real loss. Armed units are permitted to bring their guns home as they are personal issue for life not signed in or out. However they can only carry them off duty on their way to and from the station, not out shopping.

Hey there,

I'm a former member of the Garda Siochana, I left in 1994. Things were a bit different in my day, if I recall correctly.

We were authorized to carry our batons and cuffs when off-duty, but I didn't know anybody who did. Dunno where we were supposed to put it !!!??? The members with personal issue firearms could carry them whenever they wanted, not just to and from work. I knew some DDU folks who never went anywhere without them.

Have they changed the Garda Code to reflect these new rules? Why did they chasnge these rules? Was there an "incident"? What other drastic changes have happened since I left !!!????

Later.
                    Christ, you know it ain't easy...

Comment

You could be right about the guns but I know there was a case where a DDU man left his gun at home, jumped into a shower and his neighbour used it too shoot his wife so maybe it has changed since you were around or maybe Im just wrong.

As for cuffs and batons, cant carry the baton but you probable can carry cuffs. I know I do going to court on days off and that but thats not shopping.

Would be worried about someone that carries that **** shopping and to the cinema/pub.

I know a guy in Store that has his own siren and stops people off duty, the word life comes to mind

There is a new code coming out in the next year or two which is supposedly a full update instead of the 20 year old thing we have now with a couple of thousand HQ circulars sticking out.

BTW, did you know you dont even get a full code in the college anymore? thats how cheap the bastards have become.

Comment

Does Ireland have any federal law enforcement agency authorized to carry firearms on and off duty?

-tink

Comment

Nope

Nope. The Gardai are the start and finish of law enforcement in Ireland. We look after petty local crime and federal as you would call it, anti-terrorism, emergency reponse, national security, etc. We are the local cops, CIA, FBI, NSI and secret service.

Its much easier this way but remember were are a hell lof a lot smaller than you guys and our populatio is only 5 million. Putting our system into practice in the states would be a logistical disaster. We also dont have different laws depending on the state.

Comment

////////////
                            Last edited by BTP; 03-05-2006, 05:06 PM.

Comment

While on duty: Border to border and sea to sea.
                              Any problems or questions?
                              Kelly

We are the thin blue line
                              between you
                              and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Comment

In NY, we have 4 different types of 'crime', violations and infractions, which are considered non-crimes and misdemeanors and felonies, which are considered crimes. All police officers are allowed to arrest anyone statewide for misdemeanors and felonies, but must be in their geographical area of employment for a non-criminal/violation arrest. On top of that, we have peace officers, whose responsibilities are roles are different from a police officer.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4096 users online. 275 members and 3821 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X